FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Can someone use my Frequent Flyer mile account to earn me miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/535142-can-someone-use-my-frequent-flyer-mile-account-earn-me-miles.html)

SirDomino Mar 9, 2006 10:16 pm

Can someone use my Frequent Flyer mile account to earn me miles?

Curious if an airline will allow someone else to use my frequent flyer account number to earn me miles even though I'm not flying? Or can I use 1 account number (mine) for multiple seats for my wife and I or do I need to set up seperate accounts?

FWAAA Mar 9, 2006 10:18 pm

Most airlines prohibit the earning of miles unless the named member is doing the flying. So your spouse will need an account to earn miles. Ailines won't typically allow "family plan" or joint accounts (although there may be an exception out there somewhere). Frequent Flyer accounts are for individuals, not groups.

GUWonder Mar 9, 2006 10:30 pm

Some airlines -- non-US ones come to mind -- have household accounts (or let you set up one). But for the US programs the rule is generally one account per individual with sharing of the account not allowed.

In practice, as long as people were not on the same flight and had the same name -- or a very similar one -- some have done it. But it's against the rules of the US airline programs in which I participate; and if it is done, the account may be forfeited when the airline discovers it.

British Airways -- a program I would not recommend generally -- allows pooling of miles, but each person has their own account.

ANA has something along this line too.

boazs Mar 9, 2006 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by SirDomino
Curious if an airline will allow someone else to use my frequent flyer account number to earn me miles even though I'm not flying? Or can I use 1 account number (mine) for multiple seats for my wife and I or do I need to set up seperate accounts?

Check out this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506472

zsmith2 Mar 10, 2006 1:11 am

I tried this once when my dad went to Brazil and thought I would give it a try. I booked the ticket under my FF number but of course under his name on the ticket. We have the same last name but different first names (it doesn't even start with the same first letter). After 3 days I looked on my account and there it was! Ever since then my dad decided to open up his own account and get his own miles!

SiDFresh Mar 10, 2006 9:26 pm

For flying would be really difficult but easy to earn by shopping and other ways to earn miles through your FF program.

Leviticus Mar 10, 2006 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by zsmith2
I tried this once when my dad went to Brazil and thought I would give it a try. I booked the ticket under my FF number but of course under his name on the ticket. We have the same last name but different first names (it doesn't even start with the same first letter). After 3 days I looked on my account and there it was! Ever since then my dad decided to open up his own account and get his own miles!

What FFP was that with ? :)

zsmith2 Mar 11, 2006 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Leviticus
What FFP was that with ? :)

AA

linsj Mar 11, 2006 5:37 am

Won't work with different names. I buy a lot of tickets for conference faculty members, but I couldn't get my number on their tickets.

OrlandoFlyer Mar 11, 2006 10:25 am

My ex-business partner and his son use to do this, as they both had the same first and last names. The son would also use father's FF number on his reservations so that mileage of both of them would go into his father's account. This was OK until one day when the both travelled, and the Airline noticed that there were two flights on same day in totally different parts of the USA which would been impossible for one person to do. They got a slap on the hands from the Airline and were told to discontinue this practice. They did not of course, and were just more careful.

sharkey Mar 11, 2006 10:37 am

many years ago its was possible.
now with the increased security and improved computer programs, it would requiere an exact match of names.

also, as stated in previous posts, it is against the rules and possile risks to your miles.