Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it your "God Given Right" to recline your seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it your "God Given Right" to recline your seat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by uva185
I always recline my seat unless I'm eating or using my laptop. I also dont like people reclining into me
So in other words, you do unto others, but they better not do unto you.

You probably also carry on the maximum allowance (and then some) of bags, put all of it in the first empty overhead you come to, and place nothing under the seat in front of you.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA*back to GM, DL Silver, HA-29 segments and counting
Absolutely my right.
If i'm going to recline and sleep for the entire flight (well ok, until the landing sequence) I've paid for the seat, but i'm interested and suprised at all the varying viewpoints for this topic.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by uva185
I always recline my seat unless I'm eating or using my laptop. I also dont like people reclining into me, for that reason I always try to get a bulkhead seat.
There are only x amount of bulkhead seats on the plane, and I don't think anyone likes being reclined into. How about showing some consideration to others...

Think of it this way: Would you like to be seated behind you?

Cheers
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
There are only x amount of bulkhead seats on the plane, and I don't think anyone likes being reclined into. How about showing some consideration to others...

Think of it this way: Would you like to be seated behind you?

Cheers
But most of the time, he IS seated behind him, and he's probably reclined, as well as him.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: ATA Elite, SW RR hoi polloi
I am one of those who believes it is my "right" to recline, as long as airline seats have the capability to do so. But I also temper that with common sense and consideration. I've only had someone say something to me once, and it was before I had even reclined. It was a really tall guy, and he apologize in advance if he poked me with his legs. I happened to be in an exit row seat with lots of legroom, so I went a step further than not reclining...I switched seats with the poor guy. I didn't have to do that, but as others have said, maybe karma comes around.

On the flipside, I once sat in a non-reclining row with a pair of jerks in front of my husband and I. They reclined through the entire flight...yes, that is their right, and that's not why they were jerks. The jerk part comes because they refused to even put up the seat temporarily so my husband could access his bag under the seat (yes, it was that tight...we were in miserable seats in front of the lav wall). Finally, I called a FA when they wouldn't raise their seats for the beverage service, which prevented us from even putting our trays down, and she just strugged and said, "Oh well."
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:15 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by 757-300
I am one of those who believes it is my "right" to recline, as long as airline seats have the capability to do so. But I also temper that with common sense and consideration. I've only had someone say something to me once, and it was before I had even reclined. It was a really tall guy, and he apologize in advance if he poked me with his legs. I happened to be in an exit row seat with lots of legroom, so I went a step further than not reclining...I switched seats with the poor guy. I didn't have to do that, but as others have said, maybe karma comes around.

On the flipside, I once sat in a non-reclining row with a pair of jerks in front of my husband and I. They reclined through the entire flight...yes, that is their right, and that's not why they were jerks. The jerk part comes because they refused to even put up the seat temporarily so my husband could access his bag under the seat (yes, it was that tight...we were in miserable seats in front of the lav wall). Finally, I called a FA when they wouldn't raise their seats for the beverage service, which prevented us from even putting our trays down, and she just strugged and said, "Oh well."

Maybe the FA was tired of trying to mediate the "Right To Recline" arguement.

Basically your flipside was karma actively at work. In the end, you do get what you give.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let's keep things cool, please. As you post, relax, breathe shallowly, and recline. This will help you gain more perspective as your well-being increases. (Don't do this if you are on an airplane, depending upon your values, of course )

In any event, we do not have threads commenting on other FlyerTalkers. Thanks

--richard, moderator
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua-bwi
In that case I would have asked to be re-seated.
The FA only had one other seat on the plane, far away and a middle seat. I decided to remain with my wife instead and lean against the side of the airplane.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:37 pm

Programs: ATA Elite, SW RR hoi polloi
Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
Maybe the FA was tired of trying to mediate the "Right To Recline" arguement.
Basically your flipside was karma actively at work. In the end, you do get what you give.
Not sure what you mean...are you saying that by giving "good karma" to another person by giving them my seat with more legroom so they would be comfortable, I earned "bad karma" from someone else? I think you have the concept mixed up a bit.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by 757-300
Not sure what you mean...are you saying that by giving "good karma" to another person by giving them my seat with more legroom so they would be comfortable, I earned "bad karma" from someone else? I think you have the concept mixed up a bit.

You are right. Please accept my apology.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:41 pm

damn straight its my right.. I'm certainly willing not to recline for a certain amount of time or not at all for the right reason.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:17 am

I usually sleep on flights, and recline my seat as soon as the plane is in the air. In those cases where the person behind me complains, I always offer them the option of paying me for my seat so they can tell me how to position it.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by sunil
damn straight its my right.. I'm certainly willing not to recline for a certain amount of time or not at all for the right reason.
not only do I agree with this but if the person behind me has a complaint he/she should write and take it up with the airline they are flying,,,

If they dont provide leg room its the airlines fault not mine
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:36 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Common sense. Looking back as you recline your seat always helps, and will diffuse situations even before the occur. Just as much as you should think about others, you should think about yourself, too.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I am on the common sense end too. On an international flight, I have no issues with someone reclining into me, because the flight is so long. But if you recline into me on an hour long jaunt to Chicago, I'm not going to be too happy. I won't say anything, but I will think you are just plain rude!

I tend to do the mini recline. Just an inch to get rid of that completely upright feeling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.