Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest CRJ Flight You have been on

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat
ORF-MSP...pure hell

Oh God...I'm 6'2, 215...the ORF-MSP about killed me, with the skinny seats and the low overhead, and the no legroom.

I figure that 3 hour or so flight really had to test the fuel capacity of the jet!

Worst thing was I took the flight gambling I'd get an upgrade MSP-SAN; had to hustle to the connector, so no time in the Club, and then no upgrade.

At least I was in 5C on the A320.

-BS
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:29 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Yes, any flight on a CRJ is the longest flight of your life. And given the choice, I'd rather fly a Boeing/Airbus/etc. But, just to stir gas on the fire...

NWA's CRJs are worlds better then the last few Comair CRJs I've been on. I used to spend way too much time in CVS Terminal C. The NWAs seats actually feel better/bigger, and more comfortable.

Sure beats a prop. You DO remember prop-flying, right? I'd love to forget that MCO-ATL, or CVG-AVL, in a Saab. Never through the moutains again. Ugh.

All of my bumps in the last year have been on CRJs. Regional carriers are your best bump-chance on a major. I've got an SR with two CRJs for next month. I'm outta DB210s!

Take-off/landing actually feels like your FLYING, not trying to HIDE flying. Closest thing to a Lear 35. Sure, you feel vulnerable, getting beat up laterally in a cross-wind... but sometimes, it's nice to feel like you're flying. Sometimes that's nice, after a streak of 15 DC9s.

But yes... when given the choice, go big.

Steve B.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Here are the winners so far:

JAX-MSP = 1174 miles(Although not actually flown by hsmythe)
CLE-AUS = 1171 miles
STL-SLC = 1156 miles (booked but not flown yet by MikeMpls)
ELP-MSP = 1148 miles
MEM-BOS = 1140 miles
COS-CVG = 1078 miles
pns-msp = 1047 miles
MSP-ORF = 1,045 miles
MSP-HPN = 1021 miles
MSP-EWR = 1008 miles
SLC-DFW = 989 miles
DEN-IND = 987 miles
CLT-MSP = 930 miles
MCI-SLC = 920 miles
MSP-IAD = 908 miles
ATL-MSP = 906 miles
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:55 am

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Originally Posted by FOOLISHRUNNER
MSP-ELP (1,149 each way) r/t is a tough trip when the plane is packed full. I'm 6'5" and the worst part is the bathroom where you are on your knees to fit in with your head tilted backwards.

Thanks so much for the laugh!! I needed that this morning, as I head for my MHT - DTW RJ flight. That mental image will keep me chuckling right through our ascent today in the middle of our "high wind advisory".
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:28 am

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
For me it was YUL to ATL. 3+ hours. I also flew SFO to DEN on a CRJ. After the ATL flight I will never fly a CRJ more then 1 hour but try to avoid these planes at all cost.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:31 am

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hsmythe
Three or four years ago, I purchased a NW ticket SEA-MSP-JAX and return. A few weeks before my trip, I received notification of a schedule change; imagine my horror when I discovered the mainline jet on the return JAX-MSP segment was now a CRJ.

(The current NW schedule shows this as 1174 miles, 3 hr 21 min. block to block on the A319 – so probably a wee bit more for the CRJ).

I called the PE line to revise the itinerary. I explained flat out that 3 hours plus was unacceptable on a CRJ; the agent responded the only reroute he could offer that same morning was a mainline jet to DTW with a 3.5 hr wait at DTW – the agent was flabbergasted that I accepted this – I informed him that waits like this were why I buy 3-year WC memberships. It all turned out well.
Good for you. We bussiness flyers need to stick togeather on this and boycott these planes so the airlines get the point that these planes are not liked by anyone who is a FF.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:02 am

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
DTW-YHZ, 1010 miles. But flying into Halifax the time before that involved switching to a SAAB for the last 414 miles out of Boston, so I'm not sure that it was all that much of a downgrade.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
So I don't know what I was smoking when I booked this itinerary, but here's my contender. I was going BOS-AUS by doing the following routing:

BOS-MEM-AUS
AUS-DTW-BOS

BOS-MEM: CRJ, 1139 miles (at least that's what I was credited with)
MEM-AUS: not CRJ, 556 miles (don't recall plane type)
AUS-DTW: CRJ, 1145 miles
DTW-BOS: not CRJ, 632 miles (757 as I recall)

Wow...what was I thinking, booking a trip with 2 3+ hour CRJ segments? I really don't know, but both were packed, and they were NOT fun. Why is BOS-MEM a CRJ, anyway? Big city to a hub and it's only a CRJ (and it's *all* CRJ service, not just some). Surprising.

On the flip side, I occasionally fly US's CRJs, and they really aren't...well, quite as awful as NW's. It's a bright interior with somewhat wider seats (17.5" width vs. 17.2".) Survivable for short flights.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
BOS-MEM: CRJ, 1139 miles (at least that's what I was credited with)
MEM-AUS: not CRJ, 556 miles (don't recall plane type)
AUS-DTW: CRJ, 1145 miles
DTW-BOS: not CRJ, 632 miles (757 as I recall)

Wow...what was I thinking, booking a trip with 2 3+ hour CRJ segments? I really don't know, but both were packed, and they were NOT fun. Why is BOS-MEM a CRJ, anyway? Big city to a hub and it's only a CRJ (and it's *all* CRJ service, not just some). Surprising.
That's the DTW-AUS flight I was referring to, that fell off of nwa.com for a few days. It's back on nwa.com again. For reference, that Pinnacle Airlines CRJ is the only non-stop on any carrier from DTW to AUS. The only other NW alternative is a mainline jet via MEM (or CO metal, if you fly through IAH).

As per the BOS-MEM, was that flight the first/last direct flight of the day? I see that a lot... figure the airlines think low pax count on the 7am flight, so they hand it off to the LCCs.

Steve B.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Several years ago I flew a Delta Connection Crj from Las to Cvg with an intermediate stop at Tulsa.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I flew 3+ hours in a CRJ from CLE-SAT a few years ago. Never again!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by Orion
Several years ago I flew a Delta Connection Crj from Las to Cvg with an intermediate stop at Tulsa.
That is 1722 miles on a CRJ. That is amazing!!!

CLE-SAT = 1241 miles
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:29 pm

MSP - RIC I was on the aisle seat of the exit row and the window seat had a guy that must have wieighed over 300 lbs. I only managed to get one cheek on the seat. That was the worst CRJ flight ever!!!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by jimc_usa
MSP - RIC I was on the aisle seat of the exit row and the window seat had a guy that must have wieighed over 300 lbs. I only managed to get one cheek on the seat. That was the worst CRJ flight ever!!!
I've been meaning to ask this question for years... what happens if you refuse to board, given that your row-mate is so obviously overfilling the seat that it presents a hazard to your or the aisle? If anything, *you* were the hazard from sitting half in the aisle. Can you be forced to board? Or told if you don't board, you forfeit your ticket?

Steve B.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: NW Gold now, WC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sbagdon
That's the DTW-AUS flight I was referring to, that fell off of nwa.com for a few days. It's back on nwa.com again. For reference, that Pinnacle Airlines CRJ is the only non-stop on any carrier from DTW to AUS. The only other NW alternative is a mainline jet via MEM (or CO metal, if you fly through IAH).

As per the BOS-MEM, was that flight the first/last direct flight of the day? I see that a lot... figure the airlines think low pax count on the 7am flight, so they hand it off to the LCCs.

Steve B.
Can't you still do DTW-MSP-AUS? Good way to maximize miles. And if you're a Plat, might very well get an additional 1k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.