Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you develop diarrhea during flight, can you stay in the lavatory during landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you develop diarrhea during flight, can you stay in the lavatory during landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Reasonably speaking, if the passenger was in the lavatory for that long how much could they really soil themself? I'm sure there would not be a huge mess to clean up, but it would be nasty.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Howste
Reasonably speaking, if the passenger was in the lavatory for that long how much could they really soil themself? I'm sure there would not be a huge mess to clean up, but it would be nasty.
Have you ever been to Egypt especially in summer because then you would know that it just keeps coming even if you aren't eating.

Disclaimer: despite this problem we really love Egypt.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by sundriedmilk
I'm not suggesting that the guy sue the airline. However, if
it can be proven that food was the cause, shouldn't the
airline at least be morally responsible for medical costs?
For example, if there were others from the flight who have
the same symptons?
Was once on a CO flight that had an overnight delay due to a combination of weather and poor planning by the airline. CO had to put us up overnight in DEN because they couldn't get crew to finish the trip to SFO and the crew that had started the trip was over allowed hours to due 6 hour delay leaving BOS.

When the pax reconvened at the airport in the morning, it turned out everyone who had had the chicken entree had spent the night vomiting. I was grateful that I had chosen lasagne.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:45 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by craw
I came across this thread as I am currently experiencing this problem and within four hours of today, we are driving up to Vermont for a snowboarding trip.

I am 100% positive it was the airline food that made me sick, because I did not have this problem until I ate their dinner.

Thoughts?
Don't be so sure. If you talk to a doctor or read up on various types of food poisonings, you'll see that symptoms can sometimes take days to develop, depending on the specific bug. Was everyone else on the plane also sick? Then there's a case to be made for food poisoning caused by the airline meal.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Don't be so sure. If you talk to a doctor or read up on various types of food poisonings, you'll see that symptoms can sometimes take days to develop, depending on the specific bug. Was everyone else on the plane also sick? Then there's a case to be made for food poisoning caused by the airline meal.
Agreed. At the minimum it is usually several hours before the intestinal woes begin. It is more likely that the cause was something the OP ate earlier that day or the noght before, depending on when it started.

In any case, I feel his/her pain. Happened to me on an Alitalia flight once due to a raging case of Beaver Fever from drinking well water in Northern BC. It is bad enough generally but being on a plane makes it just that much more special.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:12 pm

If the food has turned, and the toxin is already present you will feel the effects in 3-6 hours.

If there there is bacteria in the food, it takes 24-48 hours for the bug to grow and thrive to where it generates the toxin.

As an adventurous eater, I know this all too well.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by Finkface
Agreed. At the minimum it is usually several hours before the intestinal woes begin. ....
Not always in my fortunately rare experience. I recall about 10 years ago at a Chinese restaurant thinking one of the dishes tasted wrong and was chewy in parts where it shouldn't have been chewy. Within the hour stomach cramps had started and two-three hours later I was "in trouble"
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I have never done anything there but a number 1. Why do so many people on planes have to go to the rest room. I try and use the facilities before boarding. I am not talking about longer flights.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I have never done anything there but a number 1. Why do so many people on planes have to go to the rest room. I try and use the facilities before boarding. I am not talking about longer flights.
I think we are talking about an unexpected bout of diarrhea. Pretty hard to plan your food poisoning/tourista/whatever around flight times.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Plop plop fizz fizz ... Oh what a relief it is ...

Dropping a duece while sitting in the seat or getting yelled at because one confines themselves to the lav ... I think I'll go with the later option.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by rajsh
Plop plop fizz fizz ... Oh what a relief it is ...

Dropping a duece while sitting in the seat or getting yelled at because one confines themselves to the lav ... I think I'll go with the later option.
^^ LOL. Thanks for the good laugh.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:10 pm

To drop a deuce at the seat, or not, that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Gut busting gas bubbles and nausea of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take To the Lavatory against a Sea of regulation and trouble,
And by opposing end them: to flee, to ease the pressure
No more; and by pressure to say we end
The Tummy-ache, and the thousand Natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished ...
- Crapspeare (2013)

Last edited by rajsh; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:23 pm
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:55 am

I remember one time someone barfed in the aisle of an AA flight and, the flight attendants took the carpet square off and placed a new carpet square when on the ground. Too bad if someone was forced to leave the lav during landing and they soiled the seat, then I wonder if they have a extra seat lying around. Doubt it. But eww for the next passenger!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Earthlings
I remember one time someone barfed in the aisle of an AA flight and, the flight attendants took the carpet square off and placed a new carpet square when on the ground. Too bad if someone was forced to leave the lav during landing and they soiled the seat, then I wonder if they have a extra seat lying around. Doubt it. But eww for the next passenger!
I think the seat cushions can be swapped easily.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I think the seat cushions can be swapped easily.
Yeah but what about the runny remains that go down to the metal, wiring and carpet ... Man I feel bad for all the people who used that seat afterwards ... One would hope the replace the seat fully and all the carpeting ... But something tells me they don't ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.