Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best bang for buck Travel insurance? RE: Nonrefundable Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:17 am
Original Poster

What is the best bang for buck Travel insurance? RE: Nonrefundable Tickets

Well The wife and I will probably be purchasing Non-Refundable tickets for our trip to Japan in May and I was told that I should probably buy Travel Insurance to cover everything from lost/stolen bags, hotel stays, and ticket cancelations. Since I'll be saving approximately $500 ticket for buying non refundable tickets I figure a few dollars in insurance may be worth it.

Curious as to who you guys would recommend? Do any of you guys ever buy travel insurance?

I know I have my American Express that has travel insurance but I hvae to buy the tickets with their card and its around $75 per ticket I believe.

Thanks in Advance!
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sure travel insurance for theft and especially medical is worthwhile. Very few if any policies will cover non-refundable tickets though, except in case of death of close family member or medical emergency.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Sure travel insurance for theft and especially medical is worthwhile.
As someone who's never purchased travel insurance, I've done a quick back of the envelope and it appears I've come out ahead. I'm curious for other risk profiles if this is also true.

r.e the OP - I don't know of any travel insurance that would be of use to you. All plans I found specifically deny coverage - except in case of death or injury to immediate family - for the purposes you desire.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I bought a policy from TravelGuard to cover a family trip to China (4x$4k). Long story short, the tour operator went bankrupt a few days before the trip (absconded with the money, actually) and the trip was cancelled. We called TravelGuard, they did some research and we got our money back (less the deductible). So if you have a big tour planned, I'd definitely recommend some sort of insurance.

However, NO insurance company will cover you if you simply change your mind. The policy is pretty clear on that-- I think ours covered major illness (not the sniffles) of self or immediate family, a major disaster at the destination, or a US government travel advisory (terrorism alert).
Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cj001f
As someone who's never purchased travel insurance, I've done a quick back of the envelope and it appears I've come out ahead. I'm curious for other risk profiles if this is also true.

r.e the OP - I don't know of any travel insurance that would be of use to you. All plans I found specifically deny coverage - except in case of death or injury to immediate family - for the purposes you desire.
Well I have paid more in travel insurance (either directly through paid policy or indirectly through free policy the cost of which is included in credit card fees) than I have ever claimed, but it would only take 1 significant medical event to more than make up for that. Having seen claim figures of several insurers it is very easy to rack up $100k or even $1m in costs.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:17 pm

As noted, trip insurance does not cover "I don't want to go". Also note that different companies have different "definitions" of terrorism and when it applies. Most will cover terrorism only when something happens where you are going and where you are traveling from. In other words, if you live in FL and are traveling to Japan, you can't cancel because something happened in NYC, London or Paris. Check to see if they will allow you to cancel in case of a State Dept Warning.

You can compare policies at www.insuremytrip.com.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

What do you guys think of American Express Travel Insurance?

https://www.globaltravelshield.com/

Deluxe Plan

Emergency Medical and Dental Expense $100,000
Emergency Medical Evacuation/Repatriation $100,000
Baggage Loss $2,000
Baggage Delay $500
Airflight Insurance $500,000
Trip Cancellation/Interruption 100% of trip cost
Trip Delay $300 per day

I can get that plan (Per person) through them for $120 for my wife and I.

Thoughts?

Last edited by SirDomino; Jan 16, 2006 at 11:58 pm
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:45 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I just wanted to add that I, too, use Travelguard. In 2001 I had to cancel two trips and I had no problem getting my money back. I found them to be very honest and helpful.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marysunshine
I just wanted to add that I, too, use Travelguard. In 2001 I had to cancel two trips and I had no problem getting my money back. I found them to be very honest and helpful.
I'm guessing you had Refundable Tickets??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.