Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How fat can you be and still fly?

How fat can you be and still fly?

Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Originally Posted by Lehava
As a "passenger of size" (POS) I really hope that anyone posting in this thread will try to have some respect. As CTM pointed out most of these threads turn really ugly and people forget that there are those of us reading who are large but we still have feelings!

The airlines also have a roll to play and need to get more realistic about seating. with more and more of the population becomeing POS's it certainly makes no sense to keep making the seats smaller and smaller!!!!!!!!
First we need to change the POS terminology. When I first saw it it looked to me like Piece of Sh*t not Person of Size! We need to change that. As a fellow Carbo-American I would not hesitate to say that if airline seats were as large as a cheap office chair none of us would have an issue. The seats are tight even for a child.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
The seats are tight even for a child.
Not most children. Perhaps, those in the 100 percentile group might have an issue, perhaps.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:20 pm

Programs: MM
The seats are tight even for a child.
Boy, isn't that the truth?
And, I'd sure like to find another way to describe a "person of size" other than "fat". It seems hurtful and derogatory, even if not intended that way.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Words...

Originally Posted by GarySAN
Boy, isn't that the truth?
And, I'd sure like to find another way to describe a "person of size" other than "fat". It seems hurtful and derogatory, even if not intended that way.

Aren't they all just words? I'm a little heavy and if I choose to be offended by the word "fat", that's a choice on my part. You can say words describing people of color, heavy people, people who don't get around as well as you and I, people of different orientations...blah, blah, blah. But they're all just words.

Life's a b*tch, wear a helmet...oops, b*tch is derogatory, isn't it?

Last edited by dd992emo; Dec 18, 2005 at 6:21 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dd992emo
Yes, I think you meant to say "a female person of unpleasantness."
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:41 pm
J-M
Suspended

^

I hate political "correctness" run amok
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:01 pm
Original Member

I'm a bit over 200#, but have never been able to fly! How hard do you guys have to flap your arms to get enough lift to fly? Tried it and just can't seem to get off the ground.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Djlawman
I'm a bit over 200#, but have never been able to fly! How hard do you guys have to flap your arms to get enough lift to fly? Tried it and just can't seem to get off the ground.

I'm 175, and I find that a running start often helps. I need a runway of about 50ft, so i would recomend that you try one of about 75, as you are a little bit bigger than me. Hope this helps .
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
First we need to change the POS terminology.When I first saw it it looked to me like Piece of Sh*t not Person of Size! We need to change that.

Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Lehava
The airlines also have a roll to play and need to get more realistic about seating. with more and more of the population becomeing POS's it certainly makes no sense to keep making the seats smaller and smaller!!!!!!!!
Ah yes, my favorite myth about airline travel. The seats are not getting smaller and smaller. People are getting bigger.

A Boeing 737-900 is the same width as a 707. While it is true that many airlines originally would have operated a 707 with five abreast seating in Economy, the move to six abreast seating (and from 9 to 10 abreast in 747s and 8 to 9 in DC-10s/L-1011s) happened in the late 1960s to mid 1970s. Seat width has remained constant since then.

Seat pitch . . . well that's a different story!
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by PresRDC

Seat pitch . . . well that's a different story!

Yea, instead of fatter, people are getting taller .
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:38 pm

Programs: MM
Aren't they all just words? I'm a little heavy and if I choose to be offended by the word "fat", that's a choice on my part. You can say words describing people of color, heavy people, people who don't get around as well as you and I, people of different orientations...blah, blah, blah. But they're all just words.

I didn't intend to sound like I was being critical or judgmental. It was just an observation. Still, got flamed. But that's life on F/T.
I, too, hate the endless "politically correct" labels. Sometimes what "they" come up with is worse than what it's meant to replace. I still think that calling someone "fat" is derogatory, but think "p.o.s." is ridiculous. Unfortunately I have no solution, nor would I suggest one at the risk of the scorch marks I'd probably receive here. I just know that look on the face of my best friend when someone refers to him as "fat". Maybe it's all in the tone and context of use. Maybe some people are more sensitive than others. Maybe the teasing he got as a child was excessive. But maybe we need to start seeing people more for what they are and less for what they look like. As I noted, I'm sure the OP didn't mean any offense.
Moving on to the next discussion: How to solve the world's problems. Film at 11.
And to keep this on topic, I also agree that the airlines need a real policy on the subject. It's obvious that some people take up more space than others and, IMHO, it's a matter of safety and comfort for all pax.

Last edited by GarySAN; Dec 19, 2005 at 12:41 pm
Old Dec 19, 2005, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by GarySAN
And to keep this on topic, I also agree that the airlines need a real policy on the subject. It's obvious that some people take up more space than others and, IMHO, it's a matter of safety and comfort for all pax.
Amen to that! The policy were well known and applied consistently so people aren't surprised.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Airlines have two options for making the seats wider:

1) Make the aisles narrower. They're narrow enough already. Not a realistic option for reasons of safety and comfort.

2) Take a seat out. Five abreast instead of six on 737s and 320s means tickets will be considerably more expensive for everyone, including me at 1.75m/66.6 kg. Not fair. And congested airports will need to handle even more flights. Definitely not a good idea.

Cabin staff can make people check excess carry-on luggage. Tall people can get exit row seats. But for fat people who don't fit in their seats the only options are flying business class, buying two economy seats, or lose weight.

If you bring more than 20 kg of luggage on a typical european flight in economy, excess weight is charged by the kg. Why not apply the same to passengers? Americans can keep their own traditions and charge by the inch instead.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Perhaps airlines could employ a sizing chair in a similar fashion as the carry-on sizing box?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.