Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Convert currency at a bank or use Silver Amex outside US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

I will be in the Dominican Republic next month for 6 days with all airfare, lodging, food and beverage and most entertainment expenses paid for in advance by my company. As an aside we are flying AA, booked by my company through a travel agency some months ago. Did manage to get FF miles on AA for that by calling them and asking but as I'm an infrequent traveler who has never flown them it's not a big deal to me. However getting all middle seats changed to aisle or window was... Some travel agency ! Anyways I'm sure I'll want to spend some on incidentals as well as some souvenirs. Is it better to convert cash before I leave and change back to greenbacks any unused funds when I return or use the card in a situation like this? Also can one pay any duties at customs with a credit card? I've never been outside the US except to Canada and that was long before I had a credit card. I could use some advice please! Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

There are many discussions pertaining to topics similar to this one in the TravelBuzz! forum, which is now the home of this thread.

You should get an answer rather quickly there, whisper — or, if you like and cannot wait, simply do a Search in the TravelBuzz! forum.

Good luck, whisper!

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

sorry

Excuse my lack of working knowledge of the Delta forum. I'm mainly a lurker, don't travel that much, earn miles primarily via my Amex card. To me this board is a favorite column to be read daily . To anyone able to help me w/ these questions on the newly discovered TravelBuzz thank you and Hello to all the rest!
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I haven't been to the D.R., but my usual MO is to check the Lonely Planet book (under the facts for the visitor-money section) to see about the situation on the ground. If the country has ATMs you're in good shape assuming your bank doesn't gouge (neither my credit union nor my online-only bank does). If not, the availability of moneychangers and whether they take traveler's checks is good to know. I always take TCs as backup, even if I don't plan to use them.

Would not be surprised if many places didn't just take dollars directly where you're going, as is often the case in Mexico (you can go somewhere like Mazatlan and never use a peso).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.