Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:12 pm

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gemac
When jammed into a small metal tube with 200 other people, I try to be considerate of others. Therefore, I would have put my seat up. To me, it's basic courtesy, not doing something that causes problems for a fellow passenger. Other posters may differ.
I agree 100% also I find it uncomfortable to eat while my seat is reclined. As soon as FA's collect the trays my seat goes back down.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Spiff (Post #3)
If I am in F and reclined, I put my seat up for meals no matter who the passenger is behind me.
^ ^

I prefer my food in my mouth rather than on my shirt.
Originally Posted by umguy (Post #24)
[Y]ou will find people are rude everywhere.

At the end of the day someone elses weight issues shouldn't be everyone elses problem. Common courtesy is holding the door for someone, not going out of your way to make somone else enjoys their meal. Just my opinion once again.
This very post confirms my observations that we Americans are indeed more rude than those from many other countries. On average, of course.
Originally Posted by chaneytexas (Post #26)
As for a flight attendant waking me up to ask me to bring my seat up: Are you kidding? I have a hard enough time sleeping on planes and if the F/A woke me up so 4F could be a little more comfy with eating, I would have immediately refused without a second thought. If told I was being rude, I'd likely have complained to management.
Indeed.

Awakening a sleeping passenger is one of the most utterly rude things a person can do on a flight, even more so than urinating into an airsickness bag in an emergency.
Originally Posted by umguy (Post #42)
But just for my count how many of you actually live in MAJOR urban areas? Hmmmmm may explain alot.
The hectic life of a big city does increase the tendency toward rudeness, as well.

But there are certainly many very polite and courteous American urbanites. Some of us reading this thread could learn from them. @:-)
Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post #46)
Slightly OT but one of my pet peeves is the robotic Singapore Girls who insist that all pax put their seats upright for the meal service, even if there is nobody sitting behind you. When asked why this was neccessary, I got a sweet smile and a response of "it looks neater this way". Only in Singapore....
Post of the thread! Other than Post #3.
Originally Posted by kkjay77 (Post #47)
I have no problem pulling my seat back up if I'm not sleeping, but if I'm in F and sleeping, don't wake me up for whatever the reason is.
Hear, hear!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post #48)
Umguy, totally stunned by your responses on this thread. Someone doesn't agree w/ you & you acuse them of being non-American, etc. What's that about? I don't know you/never met you/never read one of your threads 'til now, but boy you went down in my viewpoint, and you're a mod on other forums? Whether you like it or not, makes me wonder about your mod capabilities. But that aside, think you were offbase on your response on this thread.
My thoughts, exactly, though there may have been some personal experiences and thread-starting proclivities we're unaware of. Still, I think everyone is well-served when we stay civil, whether on planes or internet forum threads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.