Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

Pax asked to put seat up so large pax could eat, what would you have done?

Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way

I'm just wondering, would you guys have given the FA a hard time, assuming she was on a power trip, or would you have just complied?
Given that it sounds, from your post, that this was asked nicely, I don't see the issue.

What would I have done? I would not have started an inane thread about so minor a topic, especially when the whole "seat recline" thing has been beaten to death. I assume the next thread will be about the FA that asked someone to turn their light off...or maybe to turn their music down- all thread-worthy to be sure .

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by brp
Given that it sounds, from your post, that this was asked nicely, I don't see the issue.

What would I have done? I would not have started an inane thread about so minor a topic, especially when the whole "seat recline" thing has been beaten to death. I assume the next thread will be about the FA that asked someone to turn their light off...or maybe to turn their music down- all thread-worthy to be sure .

Cheers.
Sorry I do not see what was inane about a question that was seeking other poster's opinions. So he started a thread - why not? He had a question and he asked. We all see situations in life and wonder how other may react, think, or feel - we then ask them it's called good conversation. No, I think that you were a little harsh there. I know that sometimes we are presented with scenarios (if that is the correct plural) that clearly exist more in the mind of the poster than in the real world - but this does not sound like one of them.

To the original poster - like all things much hinges on how it was done and why it was done. As you have set the scenes for both, I think that it would take someone fairly boorish to refuse. Now the interesting question would have been - suppose the passenger in 3F had been asleep? Should the FA have woken him or not to get the seat moved? That would be a bit more controversial. I would have done on a flight of this duration on the pretext of seeing whether they would like anything to eat and then asked very solicitously if they would not mind. Most people are reasoanable and considerate when they know that there is a problem. People on the whole are larger than they used to be ( so spoke the kettle!) and this problem simply will not go away. No, I doubt if the person would have been offended or felt humiliated - probably relieved that he did not have to say anything or bother anyone, and appreciative of the sensitivity of the Flight Attendant.

PG
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by bumpme
I get annoyed when I'm in steerage and the person in front of me has his seat reclined from take-off to landing. You don't need to be reclined during meals!@!
Well, I'd hate to disagree with you a bit. As a large guy, on some planes I need to recline a bit to have the fold out tray (stored next to my seat) be out far enough to be able to eat on. You always need to take into consideration the other passengers.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 4:04 am
ak

Whenever I have been asked to temporarily bring my seat forward for whatever reason by either a FA or a passenger, I have always complied. Besides common courtesy, they usually state their reasons for asking, are usually polite, and I have had no reason to refuse.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:51 am

I had this happen to me once. I was asleep and the FA decided to wake me. Yeah she got a big fat no in a hurry. As I was drifting back off I heard them speak of how rude I was. Blah blah blah. I really didn't care. My comfort was just as important to me, as their breakfast was to them.

Later in the day when I thought about it some more and had I to do over again I would have done the same thing. Not to be mean or rude or anything but we live in a society that keeps getting larger, but as a person who makes time and sacrafice to keep myself in goodshape why should I have bear their burden? If their feelings were hurt sorry, but when it's all said and done it's not my problem.

Go ahead flame away
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:59 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoc
Frankly, the spacing of the seats is outrageous, but it is not my issue. It is AA's.
Amen. In F I'd put my seat up because it would still leave me some room and it would be the right thing to do. In Y, heck, no. If AA is so concerned about the comfort of its passengers, let 'em increase the seat pitch so we could all benefit.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Athena53
Amen. In F I'd put my seat up because it would still leave me some room and it would be the right thing to do. In Y, heck, no. If AA is so concerned about the comfort of its passengers, let 'em increase the seat pitch so we could all benefit.
Yeah, that's brilliant except you're not punishing AA, you're punishing the poor sap sitting behind you. You want more space, well then you should have paid the higher fares when MRTC was around.

A little common courtesy goes a long way, but then again this is America and I keep having to remind myself that common courtesy is no longer reality. Why should American airlines be any different. But I digress....
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:30 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

On many 757's on UA in First Class, you can't even get the tray out unless the seat in front of you is almost all the way up. I have been asked nicely to put mine up for meal service and have complied 100 percent - once meal service is over, my seat goes back to 100 percent recline.

Neither PO'ed or offended - it's no biggie.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Yeah, that's brilliant except you're not punishing AA, you're punishing the poor sap sitting behind you. You want more space, well then you should have paid the higher fares when MRTC was around.

A little common courtesy goes a long way, but then again this is America and I keep having to remind myself that common courtesy is no longer reality. Why should American airlines be any different. But I digress....
Call it what you want. But since you don't have a location listed I will tell you like I tell everyone in the very diverse area I live in. If you were born here and don't like it. You are always free to leave. If you aren't from here, then you can always go home, or just not come visit. But you will find people are rude everywhere.

At the end of the day someone elses weight issues shouldn't be everyone elses problem. Common courtesy is holding the door for someone, not going out of your way to make somone else enjoys their meal. Just my opinion once again.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If I am politely asked to not recline during a meal, I will happily oblige. If, however, as has happened, I get a member of cabin crew trying to tell me to do it then I will be obligated to decline

Dave
While I understand the urge to Fight the Power, especially if the FA is discourteous, your recline is punishing the person behind you, not the FA.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
I couldn't tell you which ones, but I certainly recall being on flights in Y where the air hostess has made an announcement the meal service is beginning and asked folks to bring their seats up so everyon has adequate rooom to eat. This always seemed more than reasonoable to me given the tight quarters in Y.

As for a flight attendant waking me up to ask me to bring my seat up: Are you kidding? I have a hard enough time sleeping on planes and if the F/A woke me up so 4F could be a little more comfy with eating, I would have immediately refused without a second thought. If told I was being rude, I'd likely have complained to management.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
My sentiments exactly.. the key point here is if I was sleeping

Originally Posted by chaneytexas
As for a flight attendant waking me up to ask me to bring my seat up: Are you kidding? I have a hard enough time sleeping on planes and if the F/A woke me up so 4F could be a little more comfy with eating, I would have immediately refused without a second thought. If told I was being rude, I'd likely have complained to management.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
I find that I prefer to put my seat upright during the meal. I think it's awkward to try to eat while reclined, and would spill a lot more food on myself that way too.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by DillMan
On Topic: I agree that the FA asking as a bit much. Did the larger gentleman request this or did the FA just take it upon herself to humilate him?

Seems alright to me, and not so humiliating.

Last edited by AAFF; Nov 29, 2005 at 7:59 am
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by umguy
If you were born here and don't like it. You are always free to leave. If you aren't from here, then you can always go home, or just not come visit.
Sorry to take us OT, but this is, and always has been, a bogus argument. In my America, if we don't like something, we try to change it. This argument suggests that what is now -- at the time the argument is being made -- is the way it is, and if you don't like it, you're free to leave. That's BS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.