Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting at the window seat- have to go to the bathroom- blocked by sleepers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Sitting at the window seat- have to go to the bathroom- blocked by sleepers

On a long overseas flight I was traveling alone and sitting at the window seat. I had to go to the bathroom really bad. Trouble was the two people sitting next to me were asleep. I knew that everyone would be awakened in an hour but I needed to go then. Though I felt so guilty about waking up two sleeping men.

What would you have done in this situation.

Option 1: Wake them up and irritate the hell out of both men
Option 2: Hold it for an hour
Option 3: ??

Last edited by greenery; Nov 16, 2005 at 2:13 pm
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I have awakened people before especially if I had not bugged them before. They'll understand.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Option 3 might be to wait 30 minutes so they can sleep more. Option 4 would be to hold as long as possible without wetting your pants.

Being considerate is a dying breed. Some people would not only wake the 2 men but jar all 3 seats in front of them, knock some head walking to the lav, then slamming the door.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Gold, Hertz
I would have held it. I usually travel alone and prefer the window seat but I rarely use the restroom. On long flights I will get up with another person in the row gets up and figure it might be the only chance the stretch my legs.

However, if I was one of the people sleeping I would have completely understood if I was awakened to someone in my row needing to use the bathroom. Especially if it was a long flight.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:04 pm

Programs: USGold
It happened to me -- I was in the aisle seat and on a flight from PHL-LGW, and the woman on the window seat woke me up to use the can about 2 hours from landing---of course I could not fall back asleep, but she promptly nodded off and only awoke after we landed, at which point she made a big deal of saying how tired she was. I was really peeved, but I can only blame myself, because she used the bathroom immediately after takeoff, as well as two more times in the first two hours of flight. I should have switched with her then. So having been on the receiving end, I think if you are gracious, it really goes a long way.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
(not in any order of preference)
1. Ask them nicely to let you out, which unfortunately means waking them.
2. Not recommended, it is unhealthy.
3. Not recommended, it is unhealthy.
4. Not recommended, it is unhealthy.
5. Climb over them
6. Summon the F/A using the call button for help.
7. if you are a guy, go into the air sickness bag if you can.

If you wait too long you may run into the 30 minute sitdown before landing and be unable to go until you get into the airport.

This problem will be exacerbated for aisle seat occupants if airlines don't want people congregating near the lav's.

Offer to let them slide over and you take the aisle seat when you get back.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:52 pm

This happened to me on my first long flight (LAX-LHR) I got up to go when the other two people got up.

That is why I prefer aisle seats on long flights now.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:43 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by greenery
What would you have done in this situation.
I usually try to go when someone else in the row goes, but sometimes that just is not possible.

Personally I think there's simply advantages and disadvantages with each seat that you have to live with. Aisle seat passengers can get up whenever they want to go to the lav and for example take advantage of the food/drinks provided in the galleys (yes, LH puts food and drinks there for passengers to fetch themselves). Some choose aisle seats because that allows them to stretch their legs into the aisle. On the other side they will have to live with middle/window seat passengers wanting to go to the lavatory, or even just take a walk.

Window seat passengers will rarely be disturbed by the other passengers in the same row, but they aren't as flexible when it comes to getting up. They also get the best views.

You just have to live with the disadvantages if the advantages are important to you.

HTB.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
Delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Mar 29, 2016 at 6:57 pm Reason: Delete
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I agree with the "aisle seat in the center section" theory...
But, I also realize that when I choose the aisle seat on the
side, one of the drawbacks of that seat is that people will
need to get out. If I am going to try to sleep, I will usually
say to my row-mates, "If you need to get out, please wake
me." In my view, this is the price that I pay for being
able to have the aisle seat.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why I don't like the window. I'd rather be disturbed by someone who needed to go to the bathroom than feel trapped in the window seat.

I also think people should use some common sense in picking a seat. If you've got a choice between a window and aisle and you know you're the type who wants or needs to get up every five minutes - take an aisle seat.

Originally Posted by seat 50J
Being considerate is a dying breed. Some people would not only wake the 2 men but jar all 3 seats in front of them, knock some head walking to the lav, then slamming the door.
And then do this all over again in reverse on the way back.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 1:14 am

Programs: LH Sen; US Silver; AA Silver; Hilton Gold
Never feel guilty about having to go to the toilet, and never hold it so long that you're uncomfortable. If you sit in an aisle seat, you should be prepared to be awoken by your seat mate taking care of the same needs you have.

That said, window-seat sitters should try to climb over their seat mates as quietly and carefully as possible, taking care not to pull down the seatback of the person in front of them, and with luck: you won't wake anyone.

In-flight rules of etiquette should be part of the FA's song & dance...

hurlimann
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:43 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hurlimann
That said, window-seat sitters should try to climb over their seat mates as quietly and carefully as possible, taking care not to pull down the seatback of the person in front of them, and with luck: you won't wake anyone.
I don't know in what section you are sitting, but in the economy section I'm usually in I would say this is simply impossible. Especially during the time people are sleeping, the seat in front of you will almost lean above your seat, meaning you'd virtually have to sit down on the persons you want to climb over. As the person below I'd really prefer being waked up in a more conventional manner.

Even with the seat in front in the upright position I would not appreciate anyone in economy attempting to climb over me. There just is no space.

HTB.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by htb
I don't know in what section you are sitting, but in the economy section I'm usually in I would say this is simply impossible.
One word: armrests.

I learned to do this when I was a kid, and the same technique still works - although I don't often have to do it, as I pick the window seat specifically so that I can sleep from one end of the flight to the other without being disturbed myself.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:28 am

So the question is then for the window seat'ers, do you:

Wake them up so they know you're going around them? or...
Try to get by without waking them, with the likelihood that they wake up with you hovering right over them?

I always take option 2. Just remember to try not to use the seats in front of you for leverage, because you'll wake up that person, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.