Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How does one pass 12-14 hour in flight

Old Sep 15, 05, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

On a long flight, I would like to know the typical (is there such a thing?) behaviour of passengers. In the Economy section there is not much room or facility. But in the business and first class, what do they do?
e.g. Do they change into comfortable clothes to relax? Are they busy with their own personal activity (reading, sleeping, etc)or they mingle etc.?
I would like to know since I will be flying for the first time in business class, from LAX to Asia with a stopover in Switzerland.
Old Sep 15, 05, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
I've always enjoyed the salon, where we discuss literature while sipping fine sherry. (Dry before dinner, sweet after - or perhaps port.) The reference library between rows 2 and 3 can be handy for resolving tricky points. Fortunately, it's quite comprehensive.

There's often a bridge game going in the rear left corner.

The hot tub toward the front has its fans, though I seldom use it because my tuxedo water-spots easily.

A few people sometimes use the darkroom, but that's fallen off with digital cameras. They may use the space for a tanning bed before long, or relocate the masseur who regularly complains about being hit by the ends of pool cues.

A few people use the business center, but not many. That's just as well, because the dart board is nearby.

There's usually a line at the ATMs before landing, so you'll want to get your destination currency early.

Enjoy your flight!
Old Sep 15, 05, 11:10 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
merrygp, welcome to FT! Your post asks an interesting Q which is better posed on the TravelBuzz forum than in Community, so I'll move it there for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Sep 15, 05, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Which airline are you listing all these 'premium amenities' for Efrem?

You will find merrygp that the typical availability of space and enhanced in-flight entertainment system on premium cabins allow passengers of such to fully take advantage of sleep or amusement through movies and shows for long flights like this. I don't know which carrier you are flying on, but make sure to browse through the Trip Reports section of this forum. There are plenty of great reports saturated with details that they will surely provide you with ample ideas of what you should expect during your flight.
Old Sep 16, 05, 12:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Let's not forget the advent of wireless broadband internet through Connexion, makes passing long-hauls a breeze I would imagine. Of course, you need to be in a premium cabin on most airlines to have the in-seat power to use your laptop for that duration.
Old Sep 16, 05, 12:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
I wanna fly with Efrem.
Old Sep 16, 05, 12:27 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Efrem
I've always enjoyed the salon, where we discuss literature while sipping fine sherry. (Dry before dinner, sweet after - or perhaps port.) The reference library between rows 2 and 3 can be handy for resolving tricky points. Fortunately, it's quite comprehensive.

There's often a bridge game going in the rear left corner.

The hot tub toward the front has its fans, though I seldom use it because my tuxedo water-spots easily.

A few people sometimes use the darkroom, but that's fallen off with digital cameras. They may use the space for a tanning bed before long, or relocate the masseur who regularly complains about being hit by the ends of pool cues.

A few people use the business center, but not many. That's just as well, because the dart board is nearby.

There's usually a line at the ATMs before landing, so you'll want to get your destination currency early.

Enjoy your flight!

Sarcasm Alert! Sarcasm Alert!
Old Sep 16, 05, 12:29 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
On a recent flight from MCO-MAD, I was delightfully surprised at how 3-4 hours just slipped away after 3 of the little bottles of chardonnay...

Last edited by andrewsheehan; Sep 16, 05 at 12:32 am
Old Sep 16, 05, 12:33 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by merrygp
On a long flight, I would like to know the typical (is there such a thing?) behaviour of passengers. In the Economy section there is not much room or facility. But in the business and first class, what do they do?
e.g. Do they change into comfortable clothes to relax? Are they busy with their own personal activity (reading, sleeping, etc)or they mingle etc.?
I would like to know since I will be flying for the first time in business class, from LAX to Asia with a stopover in Switzerland.
Read, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat.

Occasionally look at the movie but almost never watch a whole one.

Really, it isn't much different from Y, just a little more room and a tad more comfort. 12 hours is 12 hours whether you are in Y, C or F.

JR
Old Sep 16, 05, 12:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Really, it isn't much different from Y, just a little more room and a tad more comfort. 12 hours is 12 hours whether you are in Y, C or F.

JR
Believe you me, 12 hours on a flat seat is very different from a non-exitrow seat in Y. Just look at the comparative states of alertness between First and Coach passengers, often First passengers go straight off to work. When I get off a 12 hour flight in Y, it's pretty much bedtime for a day or two!
Old Sep 16, 05, 1:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
I try to do everything in slow motion...
Take your time for your pre-dinner drinks, make the dinner last as long as possible, window gazing, a little bit of entertaining and off to sleep. Don't bother with breakfast, unless you have the feeling you need to get everything for the money you spent.
Don't overload yourself with laptop and so on. Many are boasting that they work on their laptops but my experience showed that most of the time on intercontinental flights, some laptops are on, but the passengers are hard working at some games rather than heavy material... This is for West-East flights.
On the way back, even more slow motion is advised. The flight is longer, you need to space everything accordingly. Have a good flight.
Old Sep 16, 05, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Efrem
A few people use the business center, but not many.
Some MH 747's used to have business centers upstairs. PC, fax machine, etc. I don't know if they do anymore.

I spent several hours online LAX-MUC on LH recently thanks to Connexion. That's a great way to pass time if you are a geek.
Old Sep 16, 05, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by merrygp
But in the business and first class, what do they do?
A memorable report from a FT'er flying from HKG to LHR: 14 out of 14 first class seats occupied. 14 requests for a pre-departure glass of water. After takeoff, 14 pax put their seats down flat into beds and sleep the entire way to London. And he says that this is actually pretty typical of business passengers on these long routes.

I personally love these long sectors. I get far more sleep than I do when I'm at home, and it's even better on the rare occasions when I'm op-upped into business class.
Old Sep 16, 05, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would try to enjoy the IFE as much as possible. Watch movies, play video games, etc. But again the IFE varies from carrier to carrier. If you are fortunate to fly SQ, their IFE krisworld will likely keep you busy for 12-14 hours. But on the other hand if you're stuck with CO and their crappy & disgraceful IFE, good luck in finding something else to kill the 12-14 hour.
Old Sep 16, 05, 2:13 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Actually, there's a fair amount of jet-lag strategy at work in how you spend your time. It all depends on relative departure/arrival times for me.

First, I rarely if ever fly Y over the ocean - just too cramped.

I generally try to time my activities, most importantly sleep, to best synch myself with my destination. Other than sleep, I read a lot, stretch my legs frequently, occasionally watch IFE movies, and never ever work on a plane. Never know who might be peering over your shoulder.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: