FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Worldwide Travelers: Your opinion on who is the most well known American (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/472311-worldwide-travelers-your-opinion-who-most-well-known-american.html)

greenery Sep 13, 2005 2:19 pm

Worldwide Travelers: Your opinion on who is the most well known American

I am interested in hearing from Flyertalk posters who either live overseas or travel alot to other countries. When you talk to people outside of USA, which American's name comes up the most? Or in other words, who is the most well known American citizen in the world?

(I read somewhere that ten years ago that Michael Jackson (the Singer/sex offender) was the most well known person in the world. People who live in the rain forests in Africa (hundreds of miles from the Countries Capital) knew him but could not name another American) Is this still true?

Do you think most people in the Third World knows American Movie Stars, or President Bush? Are well known American Show Business People known outside the 1st and 2nd World?

Yes, this is a travel question!

pinniped Sep 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Muhammed Ali? I know I've heard that somewhere, although he may have simply been the most well-known celebrity.

I would still think that the sitting President would be higher. Particularly Bush and Clinton because people tend to have strong opinions about them. When I have been abroad in the past 8 years or so, and have made spontaneous friends in pubs or whatever, we frequently ended up talking about the President. People wanted to know what I thought about Monica, or what I think about Bush's policies towards the environment or Iraq. People didn't always hate our President, but they were always interested in hearing what we (everyday American citizens) thought about him and how our media portrayed him. In contrast, I can't say that I've ever had a conversation about Muhammed Ali or Tiger Woods or a movie star with anyone.

magexpect Sep 13, 2005 2:55 pm

I would agree that the acting president always comes at one time or another in the discussion.
Besides the government itself, all kinds of names are popping up, like Martin Luther King, Kissinger, Schwarzenegger, Andy Warhol to name a few.

adamak Sep 13, 2005 2:58 pm

Michael Jackson. I don't know why but somehow everyone knows him, and thought he's still the biggest star. The 2nd one has got to be Madonna.
And the only Asian known by this side of the world is Jackie Chan. :)

civicmon Sep 13, 2005 3:24 pm

Michael Jordan could be.

adamak, most americans know who Yao Ming is.

pinniped Sep 13, 2005 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by civicmon
Michael Jordan could be.

Maybe in '98 or so, but my guess is that his name recognition has steadily dropped off since about '03. When players from the big four team sports retire, then tend to disappear in a hurry unless they move quickly into broadcasting.

As absolutely huge as Mike was, I can't think of the last time I saw him or read about him. Old golfers and boxers tend to linger on but since hoops is more of a hip-hop game, yesterday's stars are quickly cast aside. Even MJ, arguably the greatest player ever...

pdhenry Sep 13, 2005 4:53 pm

Ronald McDonald...

CPRich Sep 13, 2005 5:05 pm

I'd also go with Ali. Presidents Bush/Clinton, hmmmm... mybe Bill Gates. And there has to be someone from movies with a long career - Eastwood, Cruise, Hanks?

obscure2k Sep 13, 2005 5:11 pm

I remember this question coming up many many years ago. At that time, the most recognized person in the world was John Wayne. I suspect that the answer today might be Bill Clinton.

Kiwi Flyer Sep 13, 2005 5:45 pm

I would go with Bill Clinton.

Sjoerd Sep 13, 2005 5:49 pm

Right now: President Bush. Because he and his policies are hated by 95% of the world's people........
Other than he: Bill Clinton, Michael Jackson, Bill Gates, Madonna, Bratt Pitt, Tiger Woods, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mickey Mouse.......

Rejuvenated Sep 13, 2005 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by greenery
I am interested in hearing from Flyertalk posters who either live overseas or travel alot to other countries. When you talk to people outside of USA, which American's name comes up the most? Or in other words, who is the most well known American citizen in the world?

Probably Madonna

(I read somewhere that ten years ago that Michael Jackson (the Singer/sex offender) was the most well known person in the world. People who live in the rain forests in Africa (hundreds of miles from the Countries Capital) knew him but could not name another American) Is this still true?

Not quite sure. But from what I have heard, his popularity overseas wasn't as high as before

, or President Bush?

If they follow politics then I would assume so.

Rejuvenated Sep 13, 2005 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Right now: President Bush. Because he and his policies are hated by 95% of the world's people........

:D

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Would never go unoticed in Austria. :D

Rejuvenated Sep 13, 2005 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by adamak
And the only Asian known by this side of the world is Jackie Chan. :)

Bruce Lee?

Rejuvenated Sep 13, 2005 5:59 pm

Celine Dion - probably the most well known Canadian among the American society.