Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is there any OLD (fashioned) EUROPE left to see?

Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am currently traveling in Europe and am shocked how "modern" it is. Most people are far more "trendy" than in America. (While still not as sloppy looking as Americans). What I am looking for is a place somewhere in Europe that people are still old fashioned in their appearance, beliefs and attitudes. Someplace where things are a bit more traditional and old fashioned.

So far I have not seen this side of Europe. Maybe in a small town in one of the countries in Eastern Europe. Or maybe in Portugal? Or maybe in Bulgara, Romania, or Macedonia?

Help me find OLD (fashioned) Europe!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:00 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Poland might be the most conservative and "old fashioned" country in the EU right now in many aspects. Rural communities in Norway and Holland where Christian sects are strong. Ireland and Switzerland outside of the big cities and the Basque country in southern France and northern Spain. Also Southern Italy and Sicily.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:01 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Quite a hard question to answer, I mean most cities/countries try to modernise.

Well you mentioned Portugal yourself, I was in Lisbon earlier this year and found the city to be very traditional and not particularly modern in that sense (no offense to any Portuguese people).
It is a very different city from most other capitals in western Europe.

Krakow in Poland is also very traditional and not yet very touristy.
Poland itself is very traditional.
One of the few cities I have visited where they still have over-the-counter "supermarkets" in the city centre. Very classy!!

Otherwise if you want something very traditional you should probably go somewhere far east to one of the former communist countries where the state finances are so bad that they don't have money to modernise, at least not outside the capital or the major cities.
Perhaps Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria or Belarus could be interesting...
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Romania outside of Bucaresti.
Parts of Slovenia and Croatia (except Zagreb, Rijeka, and Ljubljana)
Northeast Hungary.
Slovakia outside of Bratislava.
The Ukraine.

In general, you will find that in Italy many people are very attached to their values- but the country overall appears extremely modern (although it is always a delight to see a Ferrari idling behind a farmer with his tractor)
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Talin? Riga? Vilnius (quickly becoming a stag night alternative to Prague though)? Seeing Warsaw before it became completely Pepsified (has that happened yet?) was an interesting honour and I wouldn't mind repeating the experience elsewhere if possible.

Are Bucharest, Bratislava and Sofia still worth a visit for this reason?

Edited to add a thankyou to Travelsig for answering some of my questions before I'd posted them.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Originally Posted by Internaut
Seeing Warsaw before it became completely Pepsified (has that happened yet?) was an interesting honour and I wouldn't mind repeating the experience elsewhere if possible.
Warsaw...now the land of Concrete and Pepsi. Stay away. Go to Krakow!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moscow IMO is still very traditional.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Internaut
Talin? Riga? Vilnius (quickly becoming a stag night alternative to Prague though)? Seeing Warsaw before it became completely Pepsified (has that happened yet?) was an interesting honour and I wouldn't mind repeating the experience elsewhere if possible.

Are Bucharest, Bratislava and Sofia still worth a visit for this reason?

Edited to add a thankyou to Travelsig for answering some of my questions before I'd posted them.
The Baltic capitals would probably take almost any steps to put more distance between them and Russia. Too much oppression in the past centuries from both Eastern and Western neighbours to hang on to old values ( apart from Lutheran/Catholic religioin ). As Germany is cozying up to Russia again there will most likely be another push for deepening political and cultural ties between the Baltic trio and the US.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:16 am
JPB

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M
Head out to the countryside in Albania and it is like going back 200 years
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by JPB
Head out to the countryside in Albania and it is like going back 200 years
or pretty much anywhere in Moldova.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:51 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Yes, but you have to get off the beaten path and it takes awhile!

The closest for us was Papa Westray in the Orkneys- population 70, one bed/breakfast, population 70. A 7-hour walk on the island was mostly us, the livestock, the wildlife and an occasional local in a car. They always waved at us. But the trip was MCI-ORD-LHR, overnight in LHR, LHR-EDI-KOI (Kirkwall) and the next day we flew to PPW. I think you'll find that it's less "touristy" the further you are form the main cities.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Maybe the OP can tell us what the OP would consider "old fashioned" in Europe?
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by civicmon
or pretty much anywhere in Moldova.
Yup, was going to suggest the same thing - if you want the Europe of 200 yrs ago, go to Moldova.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
I believe Molvania would meet the requirements
http://www.molvania.com.au
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:14 am

IMHO I would suggest visiting Bosnia/Hercegovinia (with the exception of Mostar, as it's too touristy), Montenegro, and Serbia. While obviously in the big cities of any of these, things are mostly modern, getting into the countryside will show you much of what you are referring to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.