Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

Old May 9, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by djev
Become a home based travel agent... Works wonders for me!
Work at home travel agent inquiry. Could you please tell me how to get access to GDs without having to sign up with one of these big corporations if I want to become a travel agent at home?
​​​​
Old May 5, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by tvl4free
Well, IMHO this post was definately MRF material. In fact, I think that the OP's idea of placing it there was perfectly planned. I see no reason why one CAN'T discuss the 'HOW TOs' of BETTER MR BOOKINGS in the MRF - especially since SEGMENT BOOKING TOOLS are sooooo specific to the MRF.

But anyway, we'll chat here...

I have one of the systems that you guys are drooling over. It's called WorldSpan Go. I've had it for over 18 years. AND IT IS FABULOUS! I would rather have this than a LEXUS. It is my single bestest toy and friend! Ok... so I'm sic. But I travel a lot... and I used to post a lot in the MRF...ie to help with MR quesions, etc., so I needed access to fare info and routings quickly. I use WS almost everyday. And I can use it anywhere in the world. Because it's internet based, of course.

With WS... 8 segs, 10 segs, 12 segments.... and poof, a bookings done! And I mean POOF! Booked. Not this time consuming BS that one has to go thru online. I just don't know how you guys stand it - this archaic online booking game. I simply don't have the patience for that! With WS I select from the buffet that WS offers me - or I tell WS to build an Itinerary LIKE I WANT IT! WS's just perrrrrrrrrrfecct for MR's. I can kick out a 10 segs run in flash - if there's availability. It prices pretty well up to about 12-14 segments. After that it kind of peters out... cos with all the new taxes that we now have the fare ladder gets too long for the ticket.

As has been mentioned, for ticketing purposes one needs a sponsoring travel agency. My sponsoring agency is local (US) and I can be in HKG and press a few buttons... and voila... an e-ticket will be issued.

In years past, I have tried quietly to tell you guys that your travel agent is your absolute best friend. But that advise that consistently been rejected by most here in favor of a 500 mile online booking bonus... or to avoid a $20 fee. My agency gives me sooooo much 4free it's unbelievable. Sometimes airlines drop UPG's by the agency. Guess who get's first crack at em? FWIW my WS is 4free! Doesn't cost me a dime. They pay for it. (I doubt that a non-industry newbie would be able to get it 4free now, tho). They just hope that I sometime I issue a ticket that is commissionable to them. Sadly, those fares are now few and far between.

Will you be able to get it? Mebbe. If someone sponsors you. Will you be able to ticket... like I do? Highly unlikely. There is just too much liabilty for the agency to bear. For example, overnite or over a weekend you could issue $20K or more in non-refundable tickets and then just walk away. So if you do find an agency that will sponsor you, the ticketing function will likely be suppressed. And probably will be for a long while. But you could book and price stuff... and then call in for the ticketing. And that is really all that one needs.

If what you want to do is RTW's, many GDS's will not price these if they are huge itineraries. If there are too many segments (ie. the system gets confused w backhauls, etc) manual pricing will be required. And that THAT'S a whole other training class beyond just the basics...Rate Desk Pricing. So in all likelyhood, you will need someone to price 'those lengthy ones' for ya, anyway.

Normally, WS basic training is about 3-4 weeks... eight hours a day. But that's the full blown training that a res agent would get. One can learn the basics pretty quickly. Seanthepilot was getting pretty good at it... just by sitting next to me for 3 hours one afternoon in an Internet Cafe on Kho San Road in BKK. An organized 8 hour affair - at say a MR seminar - would certainly give ya enuf knowledge to do simple bookings and pricing.

So find ya a good agency and buddy up with em. Find out what systems they have. Buy a few tickets from em. Buy a pricey ticket or two to get their attention. Then ask. The ideal would be to find a mentor that might help you when you start and when you stumble. That's the way I did it. And it has certainly worked for me. And I just love queueing a booking to my favorite consolidator for non-published additional discount ticketing...

WOOHOO!
(sorry, that was a 4free kind of thing )

I get withdrawal shakes if I'm away from maaa WorldSpan baby - for more than a day or two. In fact, I'm getting shaky now. Mebbe I better go price somethin'.

See ya up front - and lets compare ticket prices. Betcha I win - cos I got the tools!

T4F
Dear T4F,
I have a small question if you don't mind.
I am aware of how to install WorldSpan but not how to get the Login ID and password, is that what the travel agent is required for? And what makes WorldSpan better than just searching online, does it include unannounced tickets?

Thanks,
Mvdaa
Old May 5, 2022, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This thread has run its course. For more recent posts re GDS access, please view FT. Travel Technology Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.