Wiki Posts
Search

How rude is this? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
How rude is this? What would you do?

I was on a completely full flight from BOS to ORD on Friday afternoon, sitting in 22D on an MD80. This is one row behind the exit rows. The PLT in 21D (exit row) reclined his seat the entire flight. He was not trying to sleep; he was watching a movie on his laptop. I was trying to work on my laptop, which is difficult in Y while behind a recliner. I thought it quite impolite that a pax with extra pitch would choose to recline as well. However, I bit my tongue.

I do not dispute his "right" to recline, but I would never choose to do it from an exit row. Would you? Do you agree that it's kinda rude? If you were in my shoes (well, my seat) would you have asked him politely to not recline?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All right - another thread discussing seat recline. It's been a few days since this issue was beaten to death. ^ ^

Prediction: Hundreds of replies and lots of flaming.

Solution? Don't sit behind the exit rows. The recline situation would be no different (from your perspective) if the row ahead of you wasn't an exit row. So why does it matter than the recliner was in an exit row?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:13 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry - no sympathy here.

If I am on a flight and I want to recline I will - period.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think it's rude when I change in LON to a BA codeshare and the FA tells me to put my seat up during food service so the person behind me isn't inconvenienced.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold
I do not dispute his "right" to recline, but I would never choose to do it from an exit row. Would you? Do you agree that it's kinda rude? If you were in my shoes (well, my seat) would you have asked him politely to not recline?
It is your choice not to recline. The airline provides recline so that people can recline the seat. I would do it with no hesitation and if someone tried telling me not to recline, I would tell them where to go ( and have done )

Dave
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is your choice not to recline. The airline provides recline so that people can recline the seat. I would do it with no hesitation and if someone tried telling me not to recline, I would tell them where to go ( and have done )

Dave
Recline is the "property" of the person in the seat. You should be able to recline whenever you would like (aside from mandated safety restrictions). And, YES, I have had my laptop monitor almost crushed by the seat in front of me. But that means I should've have been more careful about where I was placing my laptop.

W
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I only recline when I am in a bulkhead or in a seat with a legrest. For me, reclining without elevating my legs is not very comfortable.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
All right - another thread discussing seat recline. It's been a few days since this issue was beaten to death. ^ ^

Prediction: Hundreds of replies and lots of flaming.

Solution? Don't sit behind the exit rows. The recline situation would be no different (from your perspective) if the row ahead of you wasn't an exit row. So why does it matter than the recliner was in an exit row?
I did do a search ("recline") of the AA Forum and saw no such recent thread topic. I've been on FT since May or so and have do not recall reading a lot on this topic, although I do not read every thread.

Perhaps you'd prefer another thread (despite the sticky) about how the platinum challenge works?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wingman32
Recline is the "property" of the person in the seat. You should be able to recline whenever you would like (aside from mandated safety restrictions). And, YES, I have had my laptop monitor almost crushed by the seat in front of me. But that means I should've have been more careful about where I was placing my laptop.

W
To be clear, I do not argue that recline is the "property" of the person in the seat, in fact I mention that in my original post. I'm simply asking whether (1) others also consider reclining discourteous in this situation and (2) how far you would go in asking the recliner to not do it.

Of course, the votes so far...no and not very far
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Would you say that person was rude if they were sitting in 31 A/B/H/J on a 777 on the way to NRT or LHR and the person reclined? Everyone has a right to recline no matter where you are seated. On a two or three hour flight if I am in the exit row I am going to recline. Sitting straight up for that long is extremely uncomfortable.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:55 am

I typicAAly look back to make sure the person behind me knows I'm about to recline.

Then I recline the full inch and a half.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You can purchase a plastic device called a Knee Defender. It is FAA-approved for use on virtually all commercial aircraft types operating in the USA (all Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, etc.). For more information about the Knee Defender, visit:
http://www.kneedefender.com/

(basically it is a plastic device that you insert into the seat in front of you that prevents the person from reclining the seat fully)

If you prefer just to ASK, you can print out these "PLEASE do not recline your seat" forms and leave them on the seat in front of you as you board:
http://www.kneedefender.com/html2/mi...lt-prnt_pg.htm
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I was trying to work on my laptop, which is difficult in Y while behind a recliner.
Sounds like you need a smaller laptop to accomodate folks that opt to recline in front of you
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:59 am

Programs: AA-1MM+EXP, Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
If you prefer just to ASK, you can print out these "PLEASE do not recline your seat" forms and leave them on the seat in front of you as you board...
Unfortunately, "Please do not..." makes some personalities wanna do even more.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:01 pm

Location: DFW - AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt - PLT, Hertz Prez
I was on a completely full flight from BOS to ORD on Friday afternoon, sitting in 22D on an MD80. This is one row behind the exit rows. The PLT in 21D (exit row) reclined his seat the entire flight. He was not trying to sleep; he was watching a movie on his laptop. I was trying to work on my laptop, which is difficult in Y while behind a recliner. I thought it quite impolite that a pax with extra pitch would choose to recline as well. However, I bit my tongue.

Rude? You kidding right? You sound pissed more because he was PLT and got the Exit Row and you didnt. He got seat, he reclined, he had a good flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.