FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Perfect rental car (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/469251-perfect-rental-car.html)

sonofliberty Sep 3, 2005 9:41 pm

Perfect rental car

I have concluded that the perfect not-to-big and not-to-small rental sedan is the Buick Le Sabre. Aside from roominess and easy to find controls, its 3.8 liter V-6 is amazingly powerful! Both Hertz and Budget have them.

I traded in a Monte Carlo (don't like two-door cars) for a La Sabre this week, and that Buick will RUN CIRCLES around that "performance" Chevy coupe.

stimpy Sep 3, 2005 10:58 pm

I prefer the Avis Mercedes C class myself. Always a nice upgrade.

Rejuvenated Sep 4, 2005 1:35 am

I'm always cheap with regards to rentals. Unless I have a huge party travelling alongside me, I would always choose the lowest economy compact whenever possible.

CPRich Sep 4, 2005 10:31 am

G35 or Mazda 6. Whenever I get "upgraded" to a Taurus, Monte Carle, Le Sabre, etc., I go back and switch. Although I didn't return the Jag ;)

sonofliberty Sep 4, 2005 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I prefer the Avis Mercedes C class myself. Always a nice upgrade.

Sure, but can you get one for the price of a LeSabre?

stimpy Sep 4, 2005 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by sonofliberty
Sure, but can you get one for the price of a LeSabre?

Why yes, I can. I book a normal full size, and get an upgrade to a Mercedes, a Vel Satis, or if I need the size, an Espace.

GWU ESIA STUDENT Sep 4, 2005 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by sonofliberty
I have concluded that the perfect not-to-big and not-to-small rental sedan is the Buick Le Sabre. Aside from roominess and easy to find controls, its 3.8 liter V-6 is amazingly powerful! Both Hertz and Budget have them.

I traded in a Monte Carlo (don't like two-door cars) for a La Sabre this week, and that Buick will RUN CIRCLES around that "performance" Chevy coupe.

Agreeded. I drive my grandparents all the time and for a car the size of a small barge (don't get my started on the Grand Marquis they used to have :) ) it is not at all a bad car. Boring as hell but for a long drive I find it hard to beat.

Non-NonRev Sep 4, 2005 6:53 pm

In my past job I used to rent weekly in the US from Avis, and got a lot of mediocre GM junk. One thing was consistent - the turn signal indicators all seemed to go out when the car had more than 20k miles...

RustyC Sep 4, 2005 11:32 pm

I like those G6es that National often gives to Emerald Club members as midsizes (it's an IXAR rather than ICAR, so I dunno if the general public has a shot unless everything's out). Have also liked getting a Dodge Stratus or Chrysler Intrepid, though Buicks lead the way in Homer Simpson-style plushness. Yeah gimme a padded armrest and motorized seat controls! :cool:

At the other end of the scale, I've always avoided booking subcompacts out of fear I could get one. Can't say I was too crazy about the Geo Prizm, either. Something like that should get more mpg for the suffering.

EnvoyBoy Sep 5, 2005 6:51 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
G35 or Mazda 6. Whenever I get "upgraded" to a Taurus, Monte Carle, Le Sabre, etc., I go back and switch. Although I didn't return the Jag ;)

I like the Mazda 6 a lot--often get it at SFO, which is good. It's not too big for negotiating the city but find it very zippy.

Kettering Northants QC Sep 5, 2005 9:35 am

Chrysler 300M - the new type

We hired a Chrysler 300M (the new big chunky shape) from Dollar (via Airline Network in the UK)- got it for £28 per day inc all taxes, insurances, and fees

3.7L I think but not that powerful but a very comfortable car that turns a few heads - it has a presence copaired with British cars!

Build quality wasn't too great (gaps around the lights, Carpet cut too short, bare sharp metal in the boot etc) - but for that price and that overall comfort we thought it was a bargain - did us fine through California and Nevada! :D

SJC1K Sep 5, 2005 10:53 am

Originally Posted by GWU ESIA STUDENT
Agreeded. I drive my grandparents all the time and for a car the size of a small barge (don't get my started on the Grand Marquis they used to have :) ) it is not at all a bad car. Boring as hell but for a long drive I find it hard to beat.

Ditto here. I drive my 85-year-old mother around when I go to visit her. With her limited mobility, she finds it hard to get into and out of seats that have too big a rise at the outboard edge. The Buick's seats work well for her, the doors give her a lot of room to get in and out, the trunk has a lot of space for her walker, and for me, the car isn't too much of a land yacht. When they upgrade me to a Grand Marquis or Town Car, I take it because my mom will consider it a treat (although I won't). When I get an Impala, which is also considered the same class (at Avis anyway) I exchange it--the high-edged seats are the worst around for her.

graraps Sep 5, 2005 11:42 am

I have never driven a Buick, but I have found the Mondeo (which, of course, has a lot in common with the Mazda 6) much better than the C-class.

USA_flyer Sep 6, 2005 3:05 am

My perfect rental car was the Olds Alero. It's not flash, but it was perfect for my needs in FL last year. I would even choose it over the Merc I rented a couple of months ago.

The worst rental car I ever had was a Kia automatic after being 'downgraded' from a Focus. That thing was trully the most gutless POS I've ever had the misfortune to drive.

Rejuvenated Sep 6, 2005 3:28 am

I wish they still have manual transmission vehicles available for rentals at many outlets. Hard to find one these days! :(