Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any advantage to buying 2 one-way tickets vs. one open-jaw roundtrip if cost is same

Any advantage to buying 2 one-way tickets vs. one open-jaw roundtrip if cost is same

Old Aug 18, 05, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Is there any advantage to buying two one-way tickets vs. one open-jaw ticket if the cost is equal? All flights would be on Delta/Song.

Here's the details of the situation: I need to fly from Boston to Ft. Myers and then fly back to Boston from Ft. Lauderdale. The cost of two one-way tickets is $185.40, and the cost of an open-jaw roundtrip ticket is $185.40.

I'm just wondering if there are any advantages to booking the trip as one ticket or two tickets? If I do two one-way tickets, will I increase the chance of behind hassled by TSA? Which way would you recommend I book the trip, and why?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 18, 05, 11:43 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Your chances of garnering the dreaded SSSS, which positions you for a most certain secondary look-see (wanding, pat-down), are vastly increased when booking one-way tickets. It's not a 100% guarantee but the probability is quite high. If the additional security entailed in your journey doesn't bother you, then flip a coin. If you want your chances increased of being left alone by the TSA, then book the open jaw.

Just MHO.

----------
essxjay
FT Travel Safety/Security moderator
Old Aug 18, 05, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Other than the security issues, are there any advantages or disadvantages to one type of booking vs. the other?
Old Aug 18, 05, 12:16 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by hhonorman
Other than the security issues, are there any advantages or disadvantages to one type of booking vs. the other?
Change fees might be doubled.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: