Wiki Posts
Search

India: BYO water!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

India: BYO water!!!

Spent quite a few hours in DEL trying to get some mineral water. Admittedly I wasn't able to check a major supermarket, but the dozen shops, smallish airport hotel and the Sheraton-run airport lounge I used didn't have any mineral water, only bottled stuff that said "packaged drinking water" and, while I'm sure it was safe for consumption, had a very funny (to me) taste. Luckily I managed to find half a bottle of Highland Spring (Scottish) and one of Aquila (Czech) in my carryon that saw me through the day I stayed there. But from next time I'm going with lots of the precious stuff!!!
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Strange. I agree that, while "packaged drinking water" may be OK for the locals, the tourist types have to be more careful!

Hopefully the rest of your stay will be in one of the major hotels- I stayed at The Grand (where I wanted to propose marriage to the dessert chef because his food was so good) and they put 2 big bottles of sealed water in my room every day. There was no surcharge for it- it never showed up on the bill as a separate item. That was always enough to keep me hydrated, and I never got sick.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Athena53
Strange. I agree that, while "packaged drinking water" may be OK for the locals, the tourist types have to be more careful!
Hopefully the rest of your stay will be in one of the major hotels- I stayed at The Grand (where I wanted to propose marriage to the dessert chef because his food was so good) and they put 2 big bottles of sealed water in my room every day. There was no surcharge for it- it never showed up on the bill as a separate item. That was always enough to keep me hydrated, and I never got sick.
It was most definitely something that had absolutely nothing to do with health considerations. The two most popular brands of PDW were shared between the local bottling arms of Coca-Cola and Pepsi, and all bottles of PDW I came across were properly sealed. But, to somebody used to pure naturally filtered mineral water, its taste was seriously lousy.
I didn't like what I saw in DEL, and I am most likely to only do airport turnarounds from now on.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:19 pm

Been to India on several occasions and always drank the bottled water and never had a problem
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by graraps
I didn't like what I saw in DEL, and I am most likely to only do airport turnarounds from now on.
I love Delhi and have spent quite a bit of time there. It isn't for the squeamish, but neither is any of India. It is one of the most interesting cities in the world.

As for water, hit the grocery type store, and you're set. But it someplace less reputable, and it is likely to be refilled at the tap.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Any water you buy in a bottle will be safe as long as the bottle is sealed. The cheaper local bottled water will have been given ultra violet treatment that effectively kills anything that might try to kill you. As for potential other problems with water, it depends on what area of India you are in (and how badly polluted the water is).

I was surprised to find that there are reasonably clean sources of fresh water near Mumbai for example. Yes, it will have micro organisms such as Typhoid and Cholera but as long as your boil it for a few minutes, it will be fine (the locals who are immune to this sort of stuff only bother boil their water in the Monsoon when it can be a little more dodgy).

Regards
I
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by jtkauai
I love Delhi and have spent quite a bit of time there. It isn't for the squeamish, but neither is any of India. It is one of the most interesting cities in the world.
Expand that to India is one of the most interesting countries in the world.

As long as you don't buy water from kids on the street and you only drink out of sealed bottles you should be okay. In the smaller villages the kids don't understand the water could be harmful to travelers and just refill the bottles to earn a few pennies.

I would be a shame to stay in the Delhi airport....
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let me reiterate my point, seems like I have been misunderstood.

I haven't for one second doubted the healthiness of the Packaged Drinking Water that's widely available in India. But it is most definitely not mineral water and to me it tastes awfully.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I never had any problems with ice cubes or a little tap water at the hotels I stayed at in DEL, BOM, BLR, MAA, etc. Also each hotel, I-C, Sheraton, Park, had nice bottled water in the rooms.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:13 pm

I consumed gallons of Kinley (bottled by Coca-Cola) in India (in Delhi to be specific) -- tasted fine to me, as did other brands (can't recall names).

Shame to miss a fascinating place because the bottled water isn't to one's taste.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:17 pm

When I get ice cubes in a foreign country, just to be perfectly safe, I bring them to a rolling boil for a minimum of three minutes and then add them to my 12 year old scotch.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Telfes
I consumed gallons of Kinley (bottled by Coca-Cola) in India (in Delhi to be specific) -- tasted fine to me, as did other brands (can't recall names).

Shame to miss a fascinating place because the bottled water isn't to one's taste.
Agreed. Aquafina is also available in India, and Bada Bislerli is one of the largest local brands. Kinley is just fine too.

The funny thing is bottled water (eg. Aquafina) in LAX tastes different than SFO, so obviously it will be different amongst countries.

I'd definitely plan to have 2-3 bottles on you when you arrive just for the first several hours or first day, but after that, very easy to find replenishment.

By the way, the food tastes a lot different there too!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:19 am
At Large

I travel all over India when I'm there including places like Orissa state and the local bottled water is fine everywhere. I brush my teeth only with bottled water and even take my own to some restaurants.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The funny thing is bottled water (eg. Aquafina) in LAX tastes different than SFO, so obviously it will be different amongst countries.
But Aquafina isn't mineral water! Evian, Volvic, Mattoni, San Bernardino each taste the same no matter where you go because they are pure mineral single-source affairs. A bottle of Evian sold in Jeddah is produced in exactly the same way and from the very same spring as the one you can find in Mulhouse. There are some differences between (as opposed to within) brands, but to date I don't think I 've ever come across a mineral water whose taste I couldn't stand!
Bisleri, on the other hand, I really didn't like. Same goes for most waters sold in Europe as "table water".
I guess I'm too eccentric.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:53 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by parnel
I travel all over India when I'm there including places like Orissa state and the local bottled water is fine everywhere. I brush my teeth only with bottled water and even take my own to some restaurants.
Is there a corkage fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.