Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing my Parachute as a carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Bringing my Parachute as a carry-on?

Forgive me if this isn't the place to post this, I went through the search and didn't find anything related to it.

Anyone on FT a skydiver? I'm just about finishing my AIF course, and close to getting my "A" license. Once I do, I'm going to buy my own gear. One of the biggest reasons I'm getting my license is so that when I travel, I can explore jumping from drop zones around the world. Sure as hell beats a cup of coffee as a wake-up.

That said, was wondering if any other skydivers on FT have had any problems bringing their chutes on as carry-on baggage? A parachute, according to the TSA's guide for acceptable carry-on's, meets all the requirements, and can be brought on the plane and stored in the overhead compartment. Obviously, there's no way I'd ever check my chute, (I hate checking luggage as it is...)

Thoughts on this? Unlike my carry-on bag, it's not something I'd particularly want to have shoved around by some guy trying to fit his 84" rollerbag next to my chute.

Thanks, all...
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Damn, and I thought I was overpreparing for flights by bringing my own meals with me from home!

Don't worry, I'm just teasing. I'm sure there's someone out there who can actually give useful advice, unlike me.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:13 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
The thread below this is titled: "How close have you come to crashing (on a commercial plane)?"
What a great combo.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA
Back to the subject in hand !

Carrying your rig is fine but some airlines have been difficult about AADs, especially if you have a Cypres rather than the old spring-loaded cable type. because if it's armed and your aircraft makes a sudden pressurisation adjustment as it descends, the AAD could fire and operate the reserve ! The Cypres also, as you are probably aware, activates with a (very small) explosive charge which upsets some carriers.

Apparently different airlines have different rules, and they are not well publicised. Just call the airline and ask.

http://www.skydivingmagazine.com/ques10.htm#Taking Rigs on Airliners
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by WHBM
The Cypres also, as you are probably aware, activates with a (very small) explosive charge which upsets some carriers.
And I am guessing it also upsets the passengers who hear it go off!!!!! I am thinking coming on with a parachute and then there being a small explosive charge going off MIGHT get you some reaction from the FAM, let alone any passengers keen enough to see you brought the parachute on with you.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
This thread reminds me of a cartoon I saw many, many years ago.

The cockpit door is open, and the pilot and co-pilot are non-chalantly walking down the aisle (hands in their pockets, casually whistling, trying to look inconspicuous) toward a rear door on the plane ... with parachutes on their backs.

If I saw someone coming on a plane with a parachute, I would seriously wonder if that person knew something that I didn't ... something that I should know!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:26 pm

Parachutes

Skydiving rigs with and without Automatic Activation Devices (AAD) are permitted as a carry-on or as checked luggage.

Typically, a rig will move through the checked luggage or carry-on security screening process without need for physical inspection. However, TSA screeners have a duty to thoroughly inspect any item that raises suspicion. If screeners determine that it is necessary to open a rig for complete inspection, then the owner of the rig must be present and will be allowed to assist. For this reason, skydivers are advised to add at least 30 minutes to the airline's recommended arrival window when traveling with their parachute.

We see many chutes pass through our airport because of Deland skydive center and Titusville dropzone. There has never been a need to open one and Delta allows them on as carry on.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geekfactory
Anyone on FT a skydiver?
Boy........I'm one big acrophobic. The image of skydiving already freaks me out!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Boy........I'm one big acrophobic. The image of skydiving already freaks me out!
Thanks all for the replies - both humorous and helpful.

You'd be surprised, those who were worried about seeing a parachute - the new parachutes (the ones I'm looking at, anyway,) really look more like backpacks with leg straps than parachutes. I doubt you'd even notice...

Photo here: http://www.ranchskydive.com/_forum/0000099c-4.jpg

So like I said, it's doubtful you'd even notice it.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:14 pm

So funny. Can you recommend a place to buy a parachute? Always good to be prepared.......
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:25 pm

You should try Titusville dropzone and forget Deland. The Golden knights jump at Titusville and the scene is beautiful, overlooking the Indian River and the Space Center. Deland loses one to many each year, usually it is someone taking to big a risk but Titusville is very safe. Safe travels and jumps. I perfer to stay in the plane but know many who live to jump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.