Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon Italy/France Riviera/Monte Carlo/Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Cool Honeymoon Italy/France Riviera/Monte Carlo/Venice

I am planning a honeymoon for this time next year, leaving on July 9 or 10 for 10-14 days. We would like to head over to the French (Cannes) & Italian (Cinque Terre) Riviera and then on to Venice for 2 nights. Any recommendations on whether or not to make any of the following stays along the way:
Nice
Monte Carlo
Lake Como

I would like to start the trip very laid back at a beach location for a few days and then move on. Any suggestions for travel routes (sequence of stops), hotels, trains, activities, ect. would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!!!!
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I wouldn't stay in Nice, I would stay in Cap Ferrat & visit Nice (5 - 10 mins by taxi). Very romantic charming town - our favorite hotel is the Voile d'Or, but only if you get one of the front left hand corner rooms with 2 balconies & views of both the harbor & the Med/Corniches/etc - spectacular!! This is my fav out of the big 3 - Hotel du Cap & Royal Riviera, but we've always had a great room & others will argue otherwise. From here you can also visit Monte Carlo easily - I'd base myself in 3 to 4 places at the most & travel from there. I personally would leave out Cannes - you can visit it from Cap Ferrat (long day trip, but it can be done), but no real important reason to stay there. From Cap Ferrat, you can also visit Eze & other romantic clifftop towns.

Portofino is my favorite town on the Italian Riviera, but it is very expensive. You could drive from here to Lake Como & on to Venice (not in a day - definitely overnight in Como!) Give yourselves at least 3 nights or more in Venice - it's magical, but will be very crowded (as everything else will be) in July. Our fav hotel there is the Londra Palace - I believe room #412 - it's a Jr. Suite on the 4th floor right hand side (facing the Lido) with a huge balcony overlooking everything - totally romantic!!!

Be prepared - this is going to be a very very expensive, but wonderful honeymoon!
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
What about a Celebrity Cruise?

Originally Posted by pwdump
I am planning a honeymoon for this time next year, leaving on July 9 or 10 for 10-14 days. We would like to head over to the French (Cannes) & Italian (Cinque Terre) Riviera and then on to Venice for 2 nights. Any recommendations on whether or not to make any of the following stays along the way:
Nice
Monte Carlo
Lake Como

I would like to start the trip very laid back at a beach location for a few days and then move on. Any suggestions for travel routes (sequence of stops), hotels, trains, activities, ect. would be GREATLY appreciated.

My partner and I have done several of the European cruises out of Barcelona stopping along the Italian, French and Spainish Riveria as well as several of the Greek Islands. Both Celebrity and Royal Carribean do these routes and they are wonderful...relaxing, great ports and very affordable and personally we have found it a great way to travel.

Monte Carlo is fantastic...don't miss it...another favorite is Santorini in Greece.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:00 pm

What about a Celebrity Cruise?

Nice
Monte Carlo
Lake Como

My partner and I have done several of the European cruises out of Barcelona stopping along the Italian, French and Spainish Riveria as well as several of the Greek Islands. Both Celebrity and Royal Carribean do these routes and they are wonderful...relaxing, great ports and very affordable and personally we have found it a great way to travel.

Monte Carlo is fantastic...don't miss it...another favorite is Santorini in Greece.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; UC Member; StarA
Wonderful Italy

Originally Posted by brendamc
I wouldn't stay in Nice, I would stay in Cap Ferrat & visit Nice (5 - 10 mins by taxi). Very romantic charming town - our favorite hotel is the Voile d'Or, but only if you get one of the front left hand corner rooms with 2 balconies & views of both the harbor & the Med/Corniches/etc - spectacular!! This is my fav out of the big 3 - Hotel du Cap & Royal Riviera, but we've always had a great room & others will argue otherwise. From here you can also visit Monte Carlo easily - I'd base myself in 3 to 4 places at the most & travel from there. I personally would leave out Cannes - you can visit it from Cap Ferrat (long day trip, but it can be done), but no real important reason to stay there. From Cap Ferrat, you can also visit Eze & other romantic clifftop towns.

Portofino is my favorite town on the Italian Riviera, but it is very expensive. You could drive from here to Lake Como & on to Venice (not in a day - definitely overnight in Como!) Give yourselves at least 3 nights or more in Venice - it's magical, but will be very crowded (as everything else will be) in July. Our fav hotel there is the Londra Palace - I believe room #412 - it's a Jr. Suite on the 4th floor right hand side (facing the Lido) with a huge balcony overlooking everything - totally romantic!!!

Be prepared - this is going to be a very very expensive, but wonderful honeymoon!

I could not agree more with all of the above ideas.
I have spent weeks on Lake Como. Both as a vacation and for Star Fleet sailing regattas. I highly recomend spending some time anywhere on Como. I take the train up from Milan.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:34 pm

You know, I was going to suggest the same thing as GeorgeK's cruise idea... You can hit all of these places (with the exception of Lake Como) & more with no packing & unpacking, no driving, less crowds to deal with, etc. and... it will be a whole lot less expensive & still very romantic. Your age probably would determine which cruise line, although we were the 2nd to the youngest couple on our first Silversea cruise & had a ball. My favorite lines are (in order...): Silversea, Seabourne, Radisson & Crystal. These are all very romantic, SS & SB are totally all-inclusive - you pay for nothing additional, Radisson almost all inclusive - wine included with dinner, Crystal kind of nickel & dimes you, but is still a lovely cruise. They might attract an older crowd, but in the Med in July, it seems to be all ages. Start & end your cruise with at least 3 nights in your embarkation & debarkation cities & you'll have a wonderful trip! And do get a veranda - a must for romance! I figure, a deluxe hotel room in Europe runs at least $500 a night - more like $650 in this area, add in meals, drinks, fine wine, car rental, gas, tolls, etc & you are way over the per diem on our most expensive cruise. Then you go back to the places you loved on your next land trip. Just an idea...

P.S. I agree, Santorini is wonderful!!

Last edited by brendamc; Jul 12, 2005 at 8:36 pm
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There are loads of threads on this area if you want to search. I used to live there and I fully recommend renting a car. There are so many neat things to see and do all up and down the Riviera and you won't see them if you take the train. At Monte Carlo be sure to check out the excellent Aquarium up by the Palace. Leave the coast for some fabulous restaurants up in the hills.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:01 pm

What about a Cruise

Nice
Monte Carlo
Lake Como

Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Nice to Lake Como is about 4/5 hours driving time.

At Lake Como suggest staying in Bellagio or Varenna as the views from both are stunning.

In Venice suggest you try a suite at the Ca Pisani. It's near the Accademia.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If price is an issue, you will find that hotels are cheaper in Nice than some of the other towns like Cannes. Monte Carlo is worth a day trip from wherever you end up staying on the Riviera - there are frequent commuter trains along the coast. Personally I think Cannes is worth a visit too, at least for a day at the beach.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

How about this?

Thanks for all the replys and advice!! ^
I looked into what cruises are available that would work with my dates and found a couple Celebrity ones, a Royal Caribbean, and a Silversea that might work, but only one goes to Venice (this seems to be a must stop).

So, now I have these 4 options:
#1 I could take a 12 night cruise that starts with 2 days in Venice. I would have 3 nights before the cruise, would it be feasible to take the train to Lake Como for those nights? Or I could fly in to another city if it is easier since the cruise ends in Barcelona, it doesn't matter where I start from.

#2 I could arrive in Venice with 4 nights before the cruise starts(in Rome) and spend 2 nights there first. Would I be able to take a train from there to Lake Como for 2 nights before continuing on to Rome to start the 10 night cruise? I'm not familiar with how easy the train travel is there.

#3 I could take a 7 day cruise that starts in Barcelona right away and ends in Monte Carlo with a week to go. From Monte Carlo, is it feasible to take the train to either Cannes or Nice for 2 nights, then on to Lake Como for 2 nights, and finish in Venice for 2 nights?

#4 I stay land based and start in Cannes or Nice, then Monte Carlo, then over to the Italian side (Cinque Terre), then Lake Como, and finish in Venice. Might be too many stops, especially if I do all by train and no car.

Thank you all very much again!

Last edited by pwdump; Jul 13, 2005 at 1:52 pm
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:43 pm

Thanks for all the replys and advice!! ^
I looked into what cruises are available that would work with my dates and found a couple Celebrity ones, a Royal Caribbean, and a Silversea that might work, but only one goes to Venice (this seems to be a must stop).

So, now I have these 4 options:
#1 I could take a 12 night cruise that starts with 2 days in Venice. I would have 3 nights before the cruise, would it be feasible to take the train to Lake Como for those nights? Or I could fly in to another city if it is easier since the cruise ends in Barcelona, it doesn't matter where I start from.

#2 I could arrive in Venice with 4 nights before the cruise starts(in Rome) and spend 2 nights there first. Would I be able to take a train from there to Lake Como for 2 nights before continuing on to Rome to start the 10 night cruise? I'm not familiar with how easy the train travel is there.

#3 I could take a 7 day cruise that starts in Barcelona right away and ends in Monte Carlo with a week to go. From Monte Carlo, is it feasible to take the train to either Cannes or Nice for 2 nights, then on to Lake Como for 2 nights, and finish in Venice for 2 nights?

#4 I stay land based and start in Cannes or Nice, then Monte Carlo, then over to the Italian side (Cinque Terre), then Lake Como, and finish in Venice. Might be too many stops, especially if I do all by train and no car.

Thank you all very much again!
Can you link us to these cruise itineraries? It will be easier to offer advice then!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Links

Originally Posted by brendamc
Can you link us to these cruise itineraries? It will be easier to offer advice then!
Sorry .... good idea though, here you go:

#1 http://www.celebrity.com/search/vaca...Search+Results

#2 http://www.celebrity.com/search/vaca...Search+Results

#3 http://www.silversea.com/Dest/itin_U...ageNumber=4625
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:42 pm

Smile Option #1....Fantastic Itinerary

I would strongly recommend option #1!! Last year we left Venice on our cruise sailing through the Gran Canal. It was absolutely breathtaking and not to brag, but we have done 15 cruises and this was the most memorable departure we have ever taken. It really set the mood for the rest of the cruise. This one in particular was Royal Carribbean, a sister to Celebrity, but nonetheless, they had this fantastic Italian music playing on the upper deck serving champagne and leaving through Venice along the Gran Canal was something we will never forget. They went really slow and there's nothing like being that high up and looking down onto Venice as you begin your cruise.

If you depart from Venice I would recommend going to Venice a day or two before. If you have Starwood points I would stay at the Europa Regina on the Gran Canal and email them ahead of time telling them it's your honeymoon. We emailed them a head of time as we were celebrating our 13 anniversary and we requested a Gran Canal view. Well they gave us a corner Gran Canal and it was awsome. We opened up the french doors in the morning and watched the gondolas pass by.

Naples is great...you have your choice of Pompei, Hercalum (sp) or the Amalfi Coast. All 3 are wonderful.

Santorini is incredible - rent a jeep and drive to other town at the end of the island - go to Franco's at 6:00 pm SHARP, have a Maria Cassa (sp) and grab a front row hamock like" seat and watch the sunset. The Maria Cassa's aren't cheap but again one of those moments that you'll know you will remember forever.

Athens - you can take the refurbished Subway to the Plaka and do the Acropolis and Plaka. It's a straight shot from the Port.

Rome - is about 2 hours by bus from the port to the city. It's a long day but well worth the 14 hour day. If it's your first time there do the tour.

Florence - about 1.5 hours from the port into Florence. Again do a tour.

Nice - nice walking city. We didn't do a tour but a great place to walk around and have lunch, etc. You can also take a tour from Nice to Monaco which the ship will offer.

Croaticia - haven't been but hear it has lots of history.

Barcelona - fantastic...make sure and spend an extra day.

We have been on the Millenuim twice and it's a great ship, good food, spacious cabins and more upscale then either Carnival or R.C.

I think this is a fantastic itinerary and you'll see Europe and what's great about the cruise...is you unpack once, meals and entertainment all there for you whenever and then the boat takes you...the most stress you'll have is which tour to do. Oh yes, plus it's very economical too!! Everything as far as the ship is concerned is in dollars.

You may also want to go on Celebraty's website and look at the tour offerings. Honestly, they are well worth the money when it comes to doing European cities as they use local guides.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Last edited by GeorgeK; Jul 13, 2005 at 9:34 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been to all three destinations and have to say that Lake Como was the most fascinating among the three. Just to show you how much I love nature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.