Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Driving Trip from San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Best Driving Trip from San Francisco?

My wife and I want to spend a couple of nights within a 3-4 hour drive from San Francisco as part of our trip to the Bay Area. Maybe some place in Napa or somewhere else. We're interested in pretty scenery, spas, relaxation, outdoor activities like biking and walking, and vineyards too. We don't want to break the bank.

What would you recommend?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Without getting into details, I recommend:

1. The Monterey Peninsula/Monterey Bay (Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Santa Cruz, etc.)
2. Napa/Sonoma
3. Pacific Coast north of SF
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:51 am

Option #1

I enjoy driving the back roads of Marin County to get over to the coast. So here's my preferred route which offers great vistas in an area of Marin that few tourists bother to visit. Note that Marin & Sonoma & Mendocino County maps would be useful, especially the Marin County map.

US-101 north from S.F. to San Rafael; exit at Lucas Valley Road. Head west on Lucas Valley Road to its intersection with Nicasio Valley Road. Turn right on Nicasio Valley Road. At the "T" intersection with Point Reyes-Petaluma Road, turn right. Look for Hicks Valley Road and turn left. Hicks Valley Road changes its name to the Marshall-Petaluma Road. Stay on this road until it intersects with State Route 1, the Shoreline Highway, at Tomales Bay. Turn right (north) on SR-1 which will take you to Bodega Bay then on to the spectacular Sonoma County coast. Drive north to Mendocino or Ft.Bragg, stay at one of the many B&Bs or inns (advance reservations a must in the summer, especially on weekends). Return to S.F. via SR-128 (just south of Mendocino) east to Cloverdale where you'll join up with US-101 south.

Option #2

If you prefer the Wine Country, I suggest Sonoma as your base of operations. To me central Sonoma is much more interesting than Napa or Calistoga; the plaza is surrounded by shops, cafes, inns, the Sonoma Cheese Factory, and a state historical park with adobe buildings dating back from when California became a state. To get to Sonoma take US-101 north to state route 37 east. Turn left on state route 121 towards Sonoma. On the outskirts of Sonoma you'll turn left on state route 12 which will lead you right to the central plaza. Napa, Yountville, and Calistoga are a short driving distance away.

Once again advance reservations for lodging are critical in summer months.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
To add a note to El Cochinito's comments: in the past US 101 north out of SF can become a parking lot for the afternoon/evening rush hour. Try to go earlier in the day. If that's not possible, for #1 you might want to cut over to the coast at Mill Valley (taking you by Muir Woods), rather than going up to San Rafael. You could even do this route as a detour to wine country, going up the coast a while and then cutting over around Petaluma, for example.

Also, check out the SF forum for lots of discussions on these type of trips.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:11 pm

I personally find Napa and Sonoma a bit too slow for my taste. Also, you do not get a good deal on wine from the wineries. Trader Joe's has a better selection and better prices.
My favorite trip from the Bay Area is Lake Tahoe. It is a 4 hour drive so it is best to stay overnight. However, it is a spectacular setting. There is hiking, mountain biking at the ski slopes, boating and swimming (though the water is very cold).
Another nice place is the American river near Sacramento, good for tubing or rafting, though I think due to all the rain and snow it is a bit rough and fast this year.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:23 pm

You can't go wrong with the above suggestions,I'll add Big Sur just South of Carmel,you can't beat that scenery as far as I'm concerned,and you can enjoy Carmel and Monterey Pen also
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would recommend Sonoma County over Napa. Take it from someone who lives less than 30 miles from the southern end of the Napa Valley - I rarely go there anymore. Here is why. You will "break the bank" for lodging. (I have never actually stayed in the Valley, but know that room rates, for the quality of lodging, is absurd at times.) Many of the wineries are now showrooms that charge as the marketing arm of major megacorp likker company. You will be served by hourly employees who have no part in the wine, except to sell it to you. There is nothing wrong with this in and of itself, except it isn't the Napa Valley that I started going to nearly 20 years ago. If you have specific places in mind via recommendation/appointment, etc., you can have a great day in the valley. But if you are on the "tour bus express" stops, forget it. Also, you probably won't be tasting the best stuff the places actually make.

Contrast with Sonoma County. You do have to be a bit more "destination" oriented there, knowing some places you really want to hit, because there isn't a major highway like 29 in Napa with countless wineries. However, there are hundreds of them. Many are tiny little places, and you will probably have the winemaker or a family member pouring you his pride and joy, even if you don't care for it much. Most tasting rooms don't charge, and you are more likely to avoid megacorp likker company's local outposts. Lodging is likely to be more reasonable, but you can still be bitten depending on when/where. (In fact, I wanted to spend Friday night up that way, and I don't know what is going on, but most things are sold out or very spendy.) You also have the coast, which believe it or not, I haven't been out to the Sonoma Coast in years. I've been to Chile 8 times, and Europe maybe 20 or more times, since I've been to the Sonoma Coast, just a couple of hours from home. Dumb.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:38 am

Sonoma is much better than Napa.. smaller wineries , much more laid back .. Napa is overpriced, overrated and too corporate ....Russian River Valley & Alexander Valley areas are great to drive to .. Healdsburg is an incredibly quaint town, I prefered it to Calistoga.. with a couple of great restaurants ( one of them being Barn Diva ) . If you like to hike and walk Point Reyes state park is amazing..
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I went to Healdsburg a few years ago and enjoyed it. It is a nice town. I was looking to go somewhere I haven't been before. I liked the Monterey idea. Any ideas on reasonably-priced hotels in that area. maybe a nice b&b?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Driving?

Driving - yikes! My car is four years old with about 14,000 miles on it. The main place I drive to is . . . San Francsico International Airport!

JK-SFO
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I would have to agree with the above posters and recommend Sonoma country (I should prefex this with the fact that I sit here typing this in parents house in Petaluma.)

I went on a family wine tasting tour on Monday, to Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley, and Napa Valley, and only bought wine at the first two valleys. Napa is too overpriced. I mean, charging to taste? Almost no one does that in Sonoma County. Napa has it upsides, there are some great restaurants (French Laundry, anyone?) but overall, Sonoma County is much more quant. Downtown Petaluma has just been overhauled and looks like an old European town. There are great restuarants in both Sonoma, and Healdsburg (as well as Santa Rosa). Lake Sonoma is a great place to blow a couple of hours swimming (as well as the Russian River).

If you want to go to the beach (though beware, even though it may be 80 and sunny in Sonoma county, it can be foggy and cold at the cost), it is only about a 30 minute drive to the Bodega Bay beaches, which are among some of the nicest on the California coast because of the bluffs and coves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.