Wiki Posts
Search

Will I miss the connection?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Will I miss the connection?

Hi

I am flying from JFK to Heathrow with British Airways, then changing to BMI to fly to Manchester.

The JFK-->LHR flight is supposed to arrive at Terminal 4 at 07:05, and the flight from manchester is supposed to depart from terminal 1 at 08:55. This is on a sunday morning.

Do you think I have left enough time to connect? If there are delays with BA and I miss my flight will I have to buy another flight or will they give me another one free? Is there usually delays on the JFK-->LHR flights?

Thanks

Jessica
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to FT jessicag

You could make the connection, but equally could easily missconnect.

BA (British Ariways) wont interline baggage so will need to collect checked bags at T4 and then transfer to T1 to check in for BD (BMI) flight. If no checked bags then should be able to transit through Flight Connection Centre (airside and will include immigration check).

If the BD flight is on a separate ticket then you wont be protected if the incoming flight is late. Depending on the fare conditions on the BD ticket then you may be able to get a seat on the next flight to MAN (assuming space available) for free or may need to buy another ticket.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:07 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
I got off a recent SFO - LHR flight and got stuck for about 1 1/2 in the UK immigration line. I didn't have another flight. I'm not a UK citizen.

There were at least 2 other international flights arriving at the same time, so there were lots of people. It was a Sat. morning.

On top of that, my entire flights' luggage was misplaced. It eventually showed up in the luggage area within 1/2 hour of my arriving in that area. Total of about 2 hour after my arriving.

I don't know if you're allowed to get to another terminal without passing thru UK immigration first.

Last edited by goingsomewhere; Jun 19, 2005 at 9:12 pm Reason: oops
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:10 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by jessicag
Hi

I am flying from JFK to Heathrow with British Airways, then changing to BMI to fly to Manchester.

The JFK-->LHR flight is supposed to arrive at Terminal 4 at 07:05, and the flight from manchester is supposed to depart from terminal 1 at 08:55. This is on a sunday morning.

Do you think I have left enough time to connect? If there are delays with BA and I miss my flight will I have to buy another flight or will they give me another one free? Is there usually delays on the JFK-->LHR flights?

Thanks

Jessica
I am not familiar to LHR, so I will leave that to others who have more experience than I do. However, as for you missing your BD connection to MAN, if you had purchased the two segments separately (ie: on two different tickets), you are totally on your own when you miss your flight. It's going to be treated as if you were in London and arrived late for your flight. Not sure how strict BD is regarding being late for flights, but I guess it would put you on standby for the next available flight to MAN with no guarantee (you are out of luck if all BD flights are fully booked). I don't think you have the "right" to demand BD put you on a different carrier to MAN since it would be your fault to be late for your flight.

A word of advice when you book your own connection: leave yourself plenty of time. Don't forget to factor in time for customs/passport control, flight delays, collecting your luggage, etc.

LAX
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for your replies...and the welcome!

I was just wondering - will I be able to go to the flight connections centre even if I have not booked the flights at the same time and they are by different airlines? This is my first time travelling so im v confused!! Wat is the flight connections centre anyway?

Plus, what do you mean when you say "checked" and "unchecked" bags?

Sorry!!!

Thanks

Jessica
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Checked bags means luggage not taken onto the plane with you (they go in the hold instead).

As long as have onward ticket, anyone can use Flight Connection Centre (FCC). Although not a good idea if your bags will be sitting on the baggage claim in T4!

FCC is just the system to connect between terminals at LHR. Its a bit complicated but the main thing is to know the terminal you need to depart from and follow the bright yellow signs.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:04 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Thanks for your replies...and the welcome!

I was just wondering - will I be able to go to the flight connections centre even if I have not booked the flights at the same time and they are by different airlines? This is my first time travelling so im v confused!! Wat is the flight connections centre anyway?

Plus, what do you mean when you say "checked" and "unchecked" bags?

Sorry!!!

Thanks

Jessica
I can't help you with flight connections centre as I did not have another flight to connect.

Checked bags - not carryon luggage

Unchecked bags - carryon luggage
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again - Why is it not a good idea to use the FCC if I have checked bags with me!!

Oh no I am going to get mega stressed about this....

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Checked bags means luggage not taken onto the plane with you (they go in the hold instead).

As long as have onward ticket, anyone can use Flight Connection Centre (FCC). Although not a good idea if your bags will be sitting on the baggage claim in T4!

FCC is just the system to connect between terminals at LHR. Its a bit complicated but the main thing is to know the terminal you need to depart from and follow the bright yellow signs.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:11 pm

Thanks again - Why is it not a good idea to use the FCC if I have checked bags with me!!

Oh no I am going to get mega stressed about this....
Reread Kiwi Flyer's post:

Because your checked bags are still sitting in the luggage area waiting for you (or someone else) to pick up.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:15 pm

Official LHR Site

You might want to check out the official airport site above.

IMHO, LHR is one of the worst airport's I have ever navigated. The signs are confusing and too many connecting walkways. Also, if you go down the wrong way, if you go too far, they want you keep going the wrong way and exit instead of back tracking.

Allow extra, extra time.

And, I am not an inexperienced traveler.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Ahhh - im stupid!

Thanks for your replies goingsomewhere and Kiwi Flyer!

Jessica
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
Because your checked bags are still sitting in the luggage area waiting for you (or someone else) to pick up.
Yes. Sorry I didnt make that clear enough.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:51 am

It's definitely going to be tight. Whether or not BD will let you travel on a later flight will largely depend on the type of ticket you're on - if it's a cheap ticket it will only be valid for the flight you are booked on, and you will have to either buy another ticket or pay an upgrade fee to travel on a different flight.

I would recommend that you contact BD and ask them to put a note in your booking to say that you are arriving on flight BA-whatever at 0705. Airlines won't hold flights for delayed passengers, but if they know that someone is going to arrive at the last minute they are less likely to give that person's seat to someone else, and they may be prepared to keep check-in open for an extra few minutes.

Another thing you need to be aware of is that if you're on a cheap non-changeable ticket the system will automatically cancel your return reservation if you miss your outbound flight. The airline is under no obligation to reinstate the cancelled reservation, but they may well do so if you ask them nicely. The important thing is to ASK - if you just turn up for your return flight you may find there is no seat for you.

If you miss the flight, and if BD want to charge you an arm and a leg to rebook you, then you may want to consider other options such as a train from either London Euston or Reading. To get to Euston take the Heathrow Express to London Paddington and then a taxi; to get to Reading take the RailAir bus. Getting to Reading is probably easier but the journey time from there to Manchester is slightly longer than from Euston (just over three hours compared with just over two). Trains run hourly from both stations, and you don't need to prebook - just turn up and buy a ticket.

I thought I'd give you this information in case you need it - but will keep my fingers crossed that you won't!
Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
And even if you have booked the flights seperately, it wouldn't hurt to ask nicely if BA can check you through to MAN from JFK - they might not do it, but also they might. If they do check you through to MAN then you would NOT need to collect your baggage at LHR and check in for the BD flight - this would have been done for you already and that would save you some time and effort, allowing you to use FCC and make the transfer airside (i.e. within the secure area), using the airside buses. If you have to collect your bags, and re-check in, then it's likely you'll end up landside, taking the Heathrow Express train to cross from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1, which is a lot more hassle.. However, do be prepared for a refusal from BA on this.. but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.