Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking my cat overseas... really worried.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking my cat overseas... really worried.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by xiety
Hey all,

I am at the Roanoke Airport. Got my cat here with me, she's on a tranquilizer called "acepromazine". I gave her a pill an hour before I got to the airport. She is having a very hard time keeping her eyes open, but I think she's alright. She wants to get out of the carrier of course, but that's not going to happen. I feel really bad for her

Didn't have any trouble at the security checkpoint.

My connection at CVG is now 2.5 hours, so I am just gonna go to the club and feed her a little and open up her portable litter box. We'll see how that goes. I am glad that the Roanoke airport has free wifi, I heard its not the same with CVG

Anyways, just wanted give an update... my poor kitty
Acepromazine has worked great for my cat. He's one of the most laid back and relaxed cats I've ever met, except when it comes to cars. I had to take him cross country and got a prescription for acepromazine and it was amazing. He slept through most of the first day and the next day I gave him just half a dosage which made him groggy but interested in what was going on around him, rather than terrified like he'd been before.

I may have to take him to Europe sooner or later and definitely think that an overnight hotel stay on the East Coast (I'm in CA) and a non-stop flight to my final destination would be the way to go.

Hope to hear from you when you get to your destination.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Good luck. From what I understand, the cat will usually do better than the owner.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:22 am

Hope the kitty gets a 'nice vacation' before the return trip Good luck. Post back and let us know. I've wondered how mine would do on an extended trip, too.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Glad to hear that Kitty is doing well and surviving the trip! Hope you do too!
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:14 pm

While to OP has already traveled, these threads are read by others so I still want to add my thoughts.

A better way to plan this or any trip with a pet would have been to fly to your East Coadt gateway and spend the night there. This may (but not always) means a layover and a hotel room, but it breaks up the animal's time in the travel bag, it's flying time in one day and also answers the bathroom issues. On the OP's itinerary, I would have spent the night in Cincinnati and another in Paris.

Another tip for the first time flying pet owner-get your pet used to the travel bag before the first flight. Put him/her in the bag and drive around in your car for 30-60 minutes three or four times during the week before the first flight. When you stop and let the pet out of the bag, do something the pet enjoys so he/she will have positive expectations while in the bag.

Finally, one of the posts made light of Delta's rule to keep pets in the bag in CRC and Business Class lounges. Pet owners should follow the rules-they have a right (a revokable one granted by Delta) to bring pets into CRCs but only in a travel bag. Other CRC users have a right to use the club without interacting with your pet. I've seen people break the rules too but that doesn't mean others should.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:01 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
A lot of good advice here!

I just wanted to add that not all cats are stressed by flying. I used to fly pretty regularly with a cat who seemed to really like the vibrations of the airplane -- I guess it felt like a mother cat purring! She didn't like car travel, though.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
When we picked up Smidgen as a tiny kitty from the breeder, we drove back to Boston from Portland, Maine, and he parked his furry little butt in the seat rest/storage area between the two front seats. He just hung out there for the whole trip. As he got older, we would take him to the vet in his carrier, and he would get tremendously stressed. He would be so stressed he would fart these unbelievably nasty stinkers. I blamed Mrs. Pickles for this until we realized it was Smidgen. But, if you let him out of the carrier, he would calm down and sit himself in the seat rest area again.

Now that Smidgen is fully grown and 25 pounds, he still likes to ride in the seat rest, although he doesn't fit anymore.

He's a very simple fellow.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:59 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by JudyS
A lot of good advice here!

I just wanted to add that not all cats are stressed by flying. I used to fly pretty regularly with a cat who seemed to really like the vibrations of the airplane -- I guess it felt like a mother cat purring! She didn't like car travel, though.
One thing I'd like to say is never feed an animal that is sedated. Some sedatives reduce saliva production and when the animal eats it could choke on it's food as it gets stuck on it's way down.

When you get the sedative from the vet ask if it's OK to feed the animal on it.

This goes for any animal. Cat, dog, bunny rabbit, horse, cow etc.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:45 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Hello @AnafistaKater, welcome to FT. Since you have bumped a thread that has been inactive for 14 years, I'm going to go ahead and close it for further posting. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.