"Backpackers" and the stigma they carry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Backpackers" and the stigma they carry

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:58 am

have met them on the road...

also housed one or two over the years. dealings has been mostly ok. lots of interesting stories.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
nothing better than the resurrection of a 12 year old FT thread that disintegrates into a willy-waving competition...
Hey there BB!

Love your sense of humor. I was thinking the same thing.

Have to admit, though, my trip to NZ last July was a back-to-backpacking type adventure. You actually meet a lot more people that way.

Did about half my South Africa trip the year before at hostels, etc., half at upscale properties in Cape Town on points/special deals.

Flexibility is key when traveling.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by grbflyer
Being one of the "backpackers" mid 20's travel all over. I always "backpack" by myself because its the best way to travel IMO. I do read the lets go travel guides but dont limit myself to them. I can understand the stereotype of "backpacker". I run into these types in the hostels. I travel on a very small budget, only way I would be able to do this. Yes drinking and getting drunk can be a highlight of a trip. I was in Rome and went on a pub crawl. This was a highlight of my trip because there is nothing more amazing than hanging out with fellow travelers in on a piazza in front of the coliseum. I dress nicely, courteous and know the language so I can blend in well with locals. Next time you see a backpacker, give them the benefit of the doubt. That backpacker may be me.
Originally Posted by analise
Backpacking usually attracts the kind of people who love to travel and experience new places and meet all kinds of people. They often have the greatest stories to tell as well. I'd prefer a room filled with backpackers than one filled with self-righteous people.
Nicely put, both of youse. ^

In my early years, I hitchhiked thousands of miles back and forth across the country. Aside from a couple of inordinately long waits in places like Panaca, Nevada or Northway, Alaska, I had nothing but good experiences and met a lot of cool people.

Amongst those who hadn't or no longer hitchhiked however, I tended to hear mostly negative concerns – personal safety, dangerous riders, etc. It seemed like nobody had ever heard about good times associated with hitchhiking – only bad. More to the point, it seemed as if they’d never thought to ask. They were comfortable with simply accepting that hitchhiking was uniformly dangerous.

Is this not similar to the stigma attached to backpacking and backpackers?
Why the stigma about backpackers? Oh, the usual reasons, I suppose. They look different from us. They're scruffy. They're noisy. They're young.

All guilty as perceived. Along Australia’s east coast in particular, it seems like the backpacker scene is defined as one big bacchanalian party, where loud music and drinking to excess are all the rage. People stumble home drunk and stupid and noisy and if you’re in a hostel dorm, sleep does not always come easily. I can tell you on good authority however that many backpackers want nothing to do with that scene.

I have traveled extensively as a backpacker in years past, complete with big backpack. Those were some of the best times of my life! I felt a lot less insulated from and much more included in social and cultural experiences of the countries I was in than when I have when I've stayed in big fancy hotels (As an ex-airline employee and travel agency manager, I have often stayed in hotels like this).

A few years ago I was in Darwin, Australia and made it a point to avoid staying anywhere near the backpacker part of town where busy streets and loud music until the wee hours were all the rage. That said, I still went into the touristy part of town to check out an Indian restaurant that had gotten good reviews. Sat next to me was a couple of stereotypically scruffy backpacker “types” and, given the proximity of our tables, we got to talking. They were from Holland and had been on the road for three months already. Man, did they have some great stories to tell! And – appearances notwithstanding, they were very friendly and polite people as well.

I get the sense that most people – including here at FlyerTalk - have never taken a backpacker style adventure. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I mention it because I think that in understanding backpackers, it’s helpful to have a valid point of reference. I'm talking about grabbing a pack, throwing caution to the wind and heading out into the world for a few months. We’re not talking a two week vacation or a week long globe trot as is popularized in our trip report pages. There’s no structure or set itinerary. It's pretty much go with the flow and just figure it out as you go. We’re talking real adventure here.

If the opportunity arises, don’t shy from chatting with those backpackers sitting next to you in the airport or on a bus. And while you're at it, think back to the wonder of travel - indeed the wonder of life - when you were in your teens or young twenties. Many of these young backpackers are in the middle of a grand adventure - two or three months (or longer) on the road with all the excitement and stories commensurate to such a trip. Their excitement and enthusiasm are almost tangible. Enjoy it and them.

P.S. Here in North America, if you say you're a "backpacker" we assume you're going camping. Overseas, particularly Europe and Australia, the term refers to predominantly young travelers who travel with backpacks.

I didn't have the luxury of traveling with an "urban backpack" as opposed to a backcountry backpack. I used mine not only for clothing storage but also for actual backcountry travel, hiking pretty much all the main tracks on New Zealand's South Island as well as camping extensively in Australia.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 20, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pairofkeets
Obviously this wasn't intended to be a blanket statement that every person with a backpack is and there are of course exceptions.
LOL. This statement followed the very definition of a blanket statement.

It reminds of people who say "Look, I don't mean to sound racist..." right before saying something incredibly racist.

It was probably me who you were responding to about something being explicitly banned vs. frowned upon, and I'll continue to use public transportation when I travel (when it makes sense), regardless of how it "looks" to people excessively concerned about the appearance of others. I'll continue to do so regardless of what form my luggage takes - wheels or backpack - unless it is indeed explicitly prohibited. I've found in experience that any public transit that serves an airport to begin with permits travelers to use it, so it''s kind of a moot point.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Nicely put, both of youse. ^

/snip
Well said. ^

I spent my summer after college graduation backpacking around Southeast Asia. Several years on I'm a decent way into my career, but in a year or two I plan to take an extended break and go on another long-term backpacking trip. My employer informally allows unpaid sabbaticals for up to six months, or I may simply leave and take a break for a year before finding a new job.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Wow I just realized I might be a backpacker. I travel at least 11 months a year. Almost always with just a backpack. Rarely set my itinerary more than a day or two in advance. And usually sleep someplace that's free.

Does it count if I'm doing it for work?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
And usually sleep someplace that's free.
You gotta elaborate on this one. (Company-owned apartments?) I'm guessing you don't mean "floor of a train station".
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
Wow I just realized I might be a backpacker. I travel at least 11 months a year. Almost always with just a backpack. Rarely set my itinerary more than a day or two in advance. And usually sleep someplace that's free.

Does it count if I'm doing it for work?
Maybe... Are you writing a book about the backpacking life? And, like pinniped, I'm curious about what constitutes free accommodations, especially since you indicated that you "usually" stay in these places. Do tell!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:08 am

Resurrecting this thread...

Not directly related to backpacking, but since hostels are discussed, I am curious as to the reception a solo 50 yo clean cut male would receive at a hostel (with a roller bag - not a backpack). I'll be doing a RTW this fall, about 1/2 of which will be in SE Asia. I missed out on the college years backpack thing around Europe - too busy working in order to pay for school. My many foreign trips to date involve hotels or apartments. I am thinking I should try the hostel experience, but my anecdotal evidence is that I have never seen anyone more than 20-something lodge at a hostel. (And I am somewhat particular in that I'd want my own secure room, but do not mind sharing other facilities.)

My sense is that I would be viewed questionably, at the very least.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by lamphs

Not directly related to backpacking, but since hostels are discussed, I am curious as to the reception a solo 50 yo clean cut male would receive at a hostel (with a roller bag - not a backpack). I'll be doing a RTW this fall, about 1/2 of which will be in SE Asia. I missed out on the college years backpack thing around Europe - too busy working in order to pay for school. My many foreign trips to date involve hotels or apartments. I am thinking I should try the hostel experience, but my anecdotal evidence is that I have never seen anyone more than 20-something lodge at a hostel. (And I am somewhat particular in that I'd want my own secure room, but do not mind sharing other facilities.)

Thoughts?
In SE Asia I wouldn't bother with hostels. Guesthouses with private rooms aren't that expensive in the region. In fact, outside of the major cities you may have trouble even finding hostels.

That said, many hostels do have private rooms which you may want to consider.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:15 pm

Thoughts?
No. You will be welcomed and make many friends and also be primed to interact when traveling solo. Many stories of older travelers fitting right in with the younger crowd. You can alternate hostels with homestays (also an eye opener in some countries) and guesthouses for some added comfort.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I have seen people of all ages staying in hostels. Sometimes they are awkward and keep to themselves, and sometimes they are "young at heart" and socialize with everyone else in the lobby. Many times they have interesting stories to tell. It may be viewed as unusual but unless the hostel has stated an upper age limit, which is rare these days, I would say go for it.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanR
because half of them are following the herd and don't see much of where they are travelling to, preferring to spend time with their mates getting drunk, high & laid.
Well, the museums tend to close after 5/6pm in the EU. You've got to kill time somehow

There are a lot of partiers but there's also a lot of people who just want to travel. I tended to see museums during the day and hit the nightlife at night. It's important to read reviews (Hostelworld is a good source) to make sure you're not checking into a "party hostel".
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:04 am
Suspended

Thoughts?
As long as you're not the weird old guy hitting on every 19 year old who crosses his path you'll be fine.

Some hostels have age restrictions, but if they don't it'll have a culture that's welcoming.

Check hostelworld.com for reviews - you'll want ones that aren't "party hostels". You want a good rating, but even a 95% could be a party hostel - read between the lines about noise etc.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Thoughts?
There are some retired FTers who used hostels a lot in the years after primary job retirement and wouldn’t pass for under 50.

I have seen some in the 50+ crowd listing youth hostels/hostels as their place of stay. Passport control made no issue generally and were more likely to hassle the young women crowd than the AARP primary market crowd even when listing the same place of stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.