Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page > Still two more weekends to snow ski-- last Utah resort closes on Memorial Day

Still two more weekends to snow ski-- last Utah resort closes on Memorial Day

Old May 18, 05, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta, SPG, and IHG by Concur
Still two more weekends to snow ski-- last Utah resort closes on Memorial Day

... they came in record numbers to Utah ski resorts this past winter, a season marked by snow that fell early and often. Cumulatively, the resorts sold almost 3.9 million lift tickets in the recently completed season (although Snowbird is still open through Memorial Day), a 12 percent jump over the previous year's then-record total of 3.4 million.
"That's a remarkable increase for one year," said Kip Pitou, president of Ski Utah, the marketing arm for the state's 13 active resorts, noting that lift ticket sales over the past two winters are up 17 percent. "Colorado would love to be able to say that, but it can't." ...
An improved economy bolstered the number of destination skiers looking for places to make turns. Fears of terrorism subsided. Ski Utah, visitors bureaus and individual resorts increased their advertising campaigns in national publications.
But most of all, Utah received incomparable publicity from heavy snows that allowed many resorts to open in early November. And unlike a couple of recent winters, when good starts were hurt by mid-season slumps, storms swept through the Wasatch Mountains with regularity.
"We started with our earliest opening ever (Nov. 5), had the most terrain open ever on opening day and then had the biggest base we've ever had," said Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort spokeswoman Laura Schaffer. "The snow kept coming. The people kept coming, and it just took off."
Despite attracting almost half a million more skiers and snowboarders this year than last, Alta General Manager Onno Wieringa was struck by the lack of lift lines at his and other resorts.
"Utah resorts have so much capacity. Everybody got geared up because of the [2002 Winter] Olympics and built roads, parking and infrastructure so they could look good. We overbuilt," he said....
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2740818

Last edited by amanuensis; May 18, 05 at 1:19 pm
Old May 18, 05, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
As of now, A-Basin in CO is planning to close on June 5, and with the current base and weather it could go on longer. I remember skiing there on July 4 weekend in the early '90's.
Old May 18, 05, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Snowbird Resort in Utah (the last one still open) still has a mid-mountain base of 180 inches. It (and most of the resorts that have already closed) could also probably stay open until July 4th, but the problem is that not enough people want to ski past Memorial Day to make it profitable to stay open. I suspect that Albion Basin is staying open strictly for bragging rights -- not because it makes economic sense.
Old May 18, 05, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
And I suspect CPRich was talking about Arapahoe Basin

Mammoth is also slated to remain open until July 4th...
Old May 18, 05, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I am also sure of that. I was brain dead earlier. Albion Basin is a part of Utah's Alta Resort.
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/albion.htm

http://utahpictures.com/Albion_Basin.php

Last edited by amanuensis; May 18, 05 at 2:33 pm
Old May 18, 05, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wow, how cool does that sound to go skiing on Mem Day weekend!
Old May 18, 05, 3:56 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Snowbird Resort in Utah (the last one still open) still has a mid-mountain base of 180 inches. It (and most of the resorts that have already closed) could also probably stay open until July 4th, but the problem is that not enough people want to ski past Memorial Day to make it profitable to stay open. I suspect that Albion Basin is staying open strictly for bragging rights -- not because it makes economic sense.

Albion Basin???? Where the $%#& is that? CPRich was talking about Arapahoe Basin in Colorado. A-Basin (as its known) is always the last resort to close (aside from Mt Hood and Blackcomb, both glaciers) in North America. Its also the highest lift served point on the continent with a summit of 13,050 ft.

Still trying to figure out where Albion basin is...
Old May 18, 05, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I confess, I have never heard of "A-Basin" so when I saw it in the earlier post, the only thing that came to mind was Albion Basin -- and I was brain dead enough to not remember that Albion Basin is in Utah. By the way, take a look at the pictures I linked to above in the second link -- they are gorgeous -- Albion Basin looks a LOT different in the summer than it does in the winter.
Old Jul 5, 05, 9:26 am
Original Poster

For the Record: Snowbird, the ski resort that planned to close on Memorial Day changed its mind and stayed open on weekends until the Fourth of July, so that it could have bragging rights to being open for the longest ski season of any resort: 5 November 2004 - 4 July 2005.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2840224

Search this Thread