Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Annoying CNN Airport TV

Annoying CNN Airport TV

Old May 15, 05, 1:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Earth
Programs: whatever it takes
Posts: 316
Annoying CNN Airport TV

not sure if a thread has been posted on this...but is it just me or does anyone else find CNN Airport TV to be very annoying. In some places you cannot escape the noise of the television.

Outside the US - many places have BBC on -- even in tiny Luang Prabang, Laos.....at least in some of those you can actually turn off the TV. Most recently spotted BBC in Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. KL has many quiet zones with no TV so it's ok. Bangkok, plenty of LG TVs which can also be turned off...but the TVs are more numerous.
EqualOpp is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 2:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SEA/CNX
Programs: UA 1P
Posts: 165
I do agree for the plentifulness of CNN in US airport. But I wonder more why those airports do not TRY to show more variety of channels!! They can do 50% in CNN, they can turn some in Weather Channel, ESPN news, or whatever. Everytime I sit in an airport, I feel so boring watching CNN over and over and over - unless some restaurants/pubs have their own TVs. Yeah, they have to pay CNN to show the channels on TV, but at least - buy a few extra.
pekko is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 7:13 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 3,184
I HATE that d*mn CNN airport TV. Airports have enough noise and commotion already. Why do we have to make it worse by putting TVs in the gate areas?? And don't get me started on TVs in the airline lounges. I thought lounges were supposed to be a quiet place to relax. I always try to sit in the areas away from the TV, but sometimes the other lounge patrons have the same idea and there are hardly any open seats in those areas, leaving me with little choice but to sit near the TV.
Unimatrix One is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 9:01 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Posts: 1,678
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I HATE that d*mn CNN airport TV. Airports have enough noise and commotion already. Why do we have to make it worse by putting TVs in the gate areas?? And don't get me started on TVs in the airline lounges. I thought lounges were supposed to be a quiet place to relax. I always try to sit in the areas away from the TV, but sometimes the other lounge patrons have the same idea and there are hardly any open seats in those areas, leaving me with little choice but to sit near the TV.
I agree. I don't understand why they think passengers would want to put up with this irritating noise (especially considering that it's about 2 minutes of real news per hour, with the other 58 minutes consumed by fluff, "what's coming up next", and commercials).
dogcanyon is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 9:29 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Orlando
Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Posts: 1,386
CNN pays for the equipment and installs it at Airports, that why you are stuck watching TVs with nothing but CNN on. I believe that this CNN service does not cost the Airport anything. Defintely it is annoying in many places in Airports.
OrlandoFlyer is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 9:43 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: RST
Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 4,797
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
CNN pays for the equipment and installs it at Airports, that why you are stuck watching TVs with nothing but CNN on. I believe that this CNN service does not cost the Airport anything. Defintely it is annoying in many places in Airports.
Does not surprise me.

Also, CNN-Airport is "filtered" so that bad news regarding flying are excluded (no crashes, hijackings...). Or is that an urban legend...
fromYXU is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 9:58 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Soon to be LEGT
Posts: 10,928
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
And don't get me started on TVs in the airline lounges. I thought lounges were supposed to be a quiet place to relax.
Hey! They can be useful in relaxing...
A few weeks ago I had a layover at PRG (as usual), and the lounge TV was broadcasting the Chelsea-Liverpool semifinal.
Plenty of people relaxing with their beer/wine glasses in hand! ^
graraps is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 10:51 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 55,091
I just tune it out.
Analise is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 12:01 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 2,009
I havn't seen anything about crashes/hijackings, but I have seen other airplane related stuff such as going off the runway or engine fires. At least I'm pretty sure I have.

Originally Posted by fromYXU
Does not surprise me.

Also, CNN-Airport is "filtered" so that bad news regarding flying are excluded (no crashes, hijackings...). Or is that an urban legend...
mcrt is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 12:11 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Posts: 450
Sometimes you just can't tune it out, it's so loud. Before I got my MP3 player with my phone, I always saw people with their earbuds walking around airports and thought there was a time and place to listen to music. Now I get it, this IS the time and place.

You see these people slack jawed staring at the screen over a non story. If there is breaking news, that's one thing, but honestly most of it is just pap. Why does it need to be so LOUD?
frequentfoulup is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 12:32 pm
  #11  
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 14,093
A solution!

If it drives you insane, do something about it!

http://www.tvbgone.com/home.php

Turns off any TV remotely and discreetly.

TV-B-Gone is a universal remote that turns off almost any television. The device, which looks like an automobile remote, has just one button. When activated, it spends over a minute flashing out 209 different codes to turn off televisions, the most popular brands first.

It cost only $14.99 and attaches to your keychain.
MileageAddict is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 2:45 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Earth
Programs: whatever it takes
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
If it drives you insane, do something about it!

http://www.tvbgone.com/home.php

Turns off any TV remotely and discreetly.

TV-B-Gone is a universal remote that turns off almost any television. The device, which looks like an automobile remote, has just one button. When activated, it spends over a minute flashing out 209 different codes to turn off televisions, the most popular brands first.

It cost only $14.99 and attaches to your keychain.
I already own it!! I tried turning off a television in Seattle - Tacoma airport but it wouldn't work. I even got up pretty close...no one was around. The thing with the CNN TVs is that they are completely covered...so the IR port is not showing. This TV in particular was mounted up high so I couldn't change the angle of attack so to speak with my TV B Gone. Have you had luck turning off a CNN Airport TV?
EqualOpp is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 4:37 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Posts: 2,063
They aren't too annoying. Usually the only time is when it's the same thing over and over. (ok, you got me there, they repeat about every hour)

However I have noticed that ORD usually plays Sports Playoffs. Sometimes they even show NASCAR on Sundays. But most of the time, it's just a bit mute in the background noise for me.
sluggoaafa is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 5:09 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Posts: 1,232
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
They aren't too annoying. Usually the only time is when it's the same thing over and over. (ok, you got me there, they repeat about every hour)

However I have noticed that ORD usually plays Sports Playoffs. Sometimes they even show NASCAR on Sundays. But most of the time, it's just a bit mute in the background noise for me.
Yea...I've noticed that if there is a major sporting event going on, that will be shown instead of the news drivel, which I think is great...being an avid sports fan, I can't really complain about that...

N674UW
N674UW is offline  
Old May 15, 05, 8:05 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 232
I wouldnt mind so much if it were foxnews.
caligirl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: