FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Anyone had a barking dog on their plane? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/426453-anyone-had-barking-dog-their-plane.html)

greenery Apr 27, 2005 2:09 pm

Anyone had a barking dog on their plane?

I just heard recently that some airlines will alllow people to bring a dog on the plane as long as it is in a certified carrier. The dog must be a certain size and a small fee may be required.

I have flown hundreds of times, but never remember seeing a dog on board. Though I suspect that if the dog was put in the approved carrier and put under the seat, it could BARK and BARK and BARK! It could be a thousand times worse than a crying baby!

Anyone had a barking dog on their plane?

FWAAA Apr 27, 2005 2:16 pm

All the time on AA's transcons. Usually, the dog just sleeps. Perhaps the owners tend to tranquilize them. Sometimes they wake up toward the end of the flight and bark once or twice.

JGR01 Apr 27, 2005 2:23 pm

Let's add to that question .. anyone had a pooping dog on their plane??

YUP

First class .. doggy whined so was taken out of carrier (not allowed?) but cutie so FA's came to take a look. Next thing you know ..el stinko .. right on the pillow. Owners laughed and said 'good doggy' and the rest of us turned on our air vents!

FLYnda Apr 27, 2005 2:23 pm

If they bark a lot it could be that their little ears are hurting them.

Fredd Apr 27, 2005 2:29 pm

How about a licking dog?

on a recent ORD-SEA flight on UA Mrs. Fredd was startled when her ankle met contact with a tongue a few times. It turned out to be that of a fairly large black lab assistance dog patiently cramped under her seat that belonged to a passenger sitting behind us.

Our infant granddaughter was seated with her parents just in front of us and she and the friendly lab were able to amuse each other for part of the flight.

travelmad478 Apr 27, 2005 3:01 pm

Once when I flew with my dog (he was flying in the hold as cargo), HE was the barking dog--although I suspect no one else even noticed. He was below decks in his crate, and about halfway through the flight, I heard an odd, faint, repetitive sound coming from under my feet. Leaning down I could hear it better, and upon reflection, recognized my dog's "anguish" bark. It was barely audible from the cabin, but I knew what it was. He went on for a good half-hour. I was pretty anguished myself by the time we landed. I guess the doggie Valium had worn off. Thank goodness, he was none the worse for wear.

I've seen dogs in the cabin plenty of times but never been disturbed by barking. They seem to be a lot quieter than children, and a lot of adults.

cawhite Apr 27, 2005 3:04 pm

I've seen dogs several times in the cabin, but never heard one bark there. Have heard, a couple of times, barking from cargo. Of course there are also the "barking dogs" on the Arbii, but that's a whole different kind of barking dog... ;)

bursa Apr 27, 2005 4:21 pm

Have seen animals go in the cargo hold a few times when looking out the airplane window at the rampers, but have yet to see a pet onboard. Of course, last year, there was a spider on the roof of a 727 charter flight (airline to be unnamed but I'm sure y'all could figure it out) but it turned out not to be anyone's pet. :D

traveler4ever Apr 27, 2005 4:28 pm

I've never heard any barking on the previous flights I've been on. On time though when I was flying Delta Song, the flight attendant was really snapping at a young lady in front of me. She had a miniature yorkie in a carry on and she was just letting him pop his head out of the soft carrier to be comforted. Everytime the flight attendant (male) saw this he would stand there and insist that she zip the carrier shut. The young woman pleaded with him that her pup couldn't breath and she wasn't letting him out she was just letting his head pop out. The flight attendant got very angry! He was like "If I see the head of that dog outside of the carrier one more time, you will suffer the consequenses upon landing!" He intentionally walked back and forth throughout the flight to make sure the little dogs head was in the carrier. I thought he was really kinda mean!

SFWanderer Apr 27, 2005 4:34 pm

I can recall a nightmarish redeye SFO/JFK several years back. I was to go directly from the airport to my Manhattan office so getting as much rest as possible was very important HOWEVER that wasn't going to happen on this flight. Literally, from the moment that door closed and up until less than an hour before landing that little *&@# yapped and yapped and yapped and yapped and, well you get the picture. I've had crying babies and the such but let me tell you, there's nothing like this for 5 some hours!

BamaVol Apr 27, 2005 4:48 pm

There was a cat howling behind me on a flight a couple years ago. I overheard the owner saying that she had medicated him but he was still alert and unhappy. Pretty annoying.

wck4 Apr 27, 2005 8:38 pm

If you're going to bring a pet into the cabin, you should really make sure that it will be quiet the whole time. My dog has done about 8 transcons in the cabin, but he's absolutely silent and sleeps in his carrier the whole time. He's trained not to bark indoors, so I don't need to medicate him at all- he just curls up & sleeps. Any dog can be trained to not bark inside- given an owner that takes the time and care to do so. Anyway, if I didn't know that my pup would behave perfectly, I wouldn't fly with him. I'm kind of leery of having him go in the cargo hold- I'd worry way too much.

CrazyOne Apr 27, 2005 10:51 pm

I can just hear my cat mewing the whole time on a flight. I hope I won't find a need to take her on one....

I sat in a row right behind a little dog once. Never knew it was there until I saw it at the end of the flight.

DCA Blondie Apr 27, 2005 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by traveler4ever
I've never heard any barking on the previous flights I've been on. On time though when I was flying Delta Song, the flight attendant was really snapping at a young lady in front of me. She had a miniature yorkie in a carry on and she was just letting him pop his head out of the soft carrier to be comforted. Everytime the flight attendant (male) saw this he would stand there and insist that she zip the carrier shut. The young woman pleaded with him that her pup couldn't breath and she wasn't letting him out she was just letting his head pop out. The flight attendant got very angry! He was like "If I see the head of that dog outside of the carrier one more time, you will suffer the consequenses upon landing!" He intentionally walked back and forth throughout the flight to make sure the little dogs head was in the carrier. I thought he was really kinda mean!

F/A's like him give the rest of us a bad name! I have no problem with a little pooch stickin' his head out of the carrier...in fact, I encourage it if the pup is not happy. But, the doggie's body needs to remain in the carrier...if the pupster was to get out and run loose, all kinds of things could happen...most notably, someone could get bitten.

Personally, I'd be glad to "suffer the consequences upon landing" if my pet couldn't breathe or was distressed and letting it pop its lil' head out of the carrier solved the issue!

bigbrownboy Apr 28, 2005 12:03 am

Yesterday, myself and my 6-month Wirehaired Pointing Griffon really travelled first class--on my boss' small private plane. :)

Went from Boeing Field (BFI is an airport I never thought I'd use) to Orcas Island. My dog was a trooper! Just went straight to sleep like he is in airplanes all the time.