FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   I am new please Help - Which airline & routes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/425921-i-am-new-please-help-airline-routes.html)

nanc Apr 26, 2005 10:00 am

I am new please Help / Thank you & more info

I will be traveling to YYZ from DFW at the end of May staying there 2-3 days.
What will be the best way to get the most miles out of this journey? Airline Preference in (order of prefrence): UA AA DL CO.

If possible please explain how you chose the airline and route, it will help me to understand. Thank you for teaching me.

First of all Thank you very much to all of you who took the time to explain.

Maybe in my post I have not asked the specific question: I will be traveling to YYZ from DFW and want to turn this business trip into MR if possible.

Where do I start my search in order to find out which airline will provide me the most miles (Current mileage status is BA:75,000 UA:140,000 Delta: 41,000 CO:45,000 AA:25,000). Where do I start looking to find out for cheapest tickets with most miles. Thank you for your time and wisdom.

mo_in_uk Apr 26, 2005 10:11 am

I'm sure someone will come along to help, but you can also help yourself and read some of the stickies at the top, eg:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312559

drtravix Apr 26, 2005 11:03 am

I would suggest checking out the thread titled "How to construct/book a mileage run" which is at the top of this forum. It gives you the basics.

Yaatri Apr 26, 2005 11:08 am

Family that does MR togehter stays together.

Originally Posted by nanc
I will be traveling to YYZ from DFW at the end of May staying there 2-3 days.
What will be the best way to get the most miles out of this journey? Airline Preference in (order of prefrence): UA AA DL CO.

If possible please explain how you chose the airline and route, it will help me to understand. Thank you for teaching me.

Welcome to MR forum on FT.

Choice of airline is a personal decision based on which airline suits your travel patterns. For example, if you travel internationally and want complimentary upgrades to Business class as a perk of being an elite FF, you may want to avoid certain airlines. Some that are good for complimentary upgrades on international flights may not be generous for domestic upgrades. Another issue would be does the airline you want to fly serve an airport near where you live. Being close to a hub has pluses and minuses.

Whether you want to earn an eliete status or not is important to. If you are not interested in status, then you can simply pick the cheapes fare. It's hard to earn status on an airline on your own money. For most people, it's a combination of business and lesiure travel. I have not traveled for business in 4 years now and still have been able to maintain my Plat status and Gold for my wife and two kids. It can be done, but it takes a lot of work, esepcially when there are children involved. This weened we are doing an MR to Singapore, including my 7 yr old son, who has been an elite ever since he was 2.

In some programmes, miles expire three hyears after they are earned. In some, if there is no activity in your account for 3 years, you lose al the miles. In some your miles will live beyond you, because the oppotunity to use them will be very limited. :D. Your best bet would be read,m read, and learn as much as you can. If you have any specific questions, ask. As you learn, you will know what to ask.

The Route question is a little easier to answer. Generally, you want the most miles for your fare, unless you are constrained by time.

bhatnasx Apr 26, 2005 11:10 am

Hi nanc (and mo_in_uk),

Welcome to Flyertalk! :)

Unfortunately, you've posted this in the mileage run forum & this forum isn't for specific itineraries - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399098 - however, you may be able to get some advice on which airline to fly. I'm going to move this to the TravelBuzz forum where others may be able to help further.

But a quick note - you have three different alliances (Star Alliance, OneWorld & Skyteam) in your preferred carriers - most people here would suggest sticking to one airline alliance that provides your airport & destinations with service times & prices that are acceptable to you. If you're new to flying & frequent travel in general, then you may want to start with a basis of price - in otherwords, if UA is $300 & AA is $700, then you'd probably want to go with UA (numbers are for examples sake only).

Hope this helps a little & hope you get some more replies in TravelBuzz.

Thanks!

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator

bhatnasx Apr 27, 2005 2:04 pm

To answer your secondary question...

I would start by checking the basic fares to from YYZ-DFW for the dates that you are going on a site like Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc... Once you find a fare you like & are willing to pay, take a look into the routing rules (use the Expedia Fare list - located in the MR Tools thread in the Mileage Run forum) - and see how you can maximize it by adding some connecting city pairs.