Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inexpensive flights from Rome to Milan?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Inexpensive flights from Rome to Milan?

Please suggest where to find shuttle flights or transpartation between Rome and Milan roundtrip.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:56 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by best
Please suggest where to find shuttle flights or transpartation between Rome and Milan roundtrip.
In "TravelBuzz"!

Craig6z
Moderator - MilesBuzz
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:15 am

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Well, if you can stand one stop in Barcelona, Alitalia has flights RT flights from FCO to MXP for $218. I'm sure there are quite a few LCC's that fly between the two cities. I'd like to think that you could find something cheaper there. The Alitalia flights may be appealing if you're skyteam member and can be UG'd though...why not think about taking the train, its only 4.5 hours and isn't too much
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
well if you are star alliance,take a AP(airone)flight which is cheaper than AZ and flies from/to Milan Linate (LIN) which is right in the city and not like Malpensa (MXP),further away.If you are Sky Team you have AZ flights both from/to LIN and MXP,it's up to you.If you don't care about miles you can give a try with Meridiana(IG),might be cheaper but no miles whatsoever.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Raileurope.com is selling the train tickets for USD 77 each way. It's a 4.5 hour trip. I'd do that in a second, instead of dealing with ground transfers on both ends, security, etc.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:50 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
ok,if you go by train go to this website:www.trenitalia.com,there's an english version,look for promotions,on sat's they have promotions and sometimes even during the week.might be cheaper than 77$.have a good trip
Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:02 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Go by train!

An Eurostar Italia one way journey in second class costs €47 for a 4 hour 30 min trip city center to city center. This is a top class superfast train. They also have reduced tickets at €29 (with restrictions). Full fare first class is around €65. There are also cheaper, slower trains available. (date checked on www.trenitalia.it 17/05/05)

In my opinion: forget the flights and go by train. Beware of the Italian national pastime, scioperi (strikes), though. These are as likely to affect airports/airlines as the railways, and are usually announced in advance. There is one announced for the railways for April 20 - 21!
Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
The only LCC option is Meridiana at 109 Euro.
2 Flights daily FCO-LIN

Take the train =)
Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Take the train, and buy the ticket from TrenItalia, NOT RailEurope
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for super suggestions. Do you know if one could stop over enroute for a day or two?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC, WN, AA
Thank you so much for super suggestions. Do you know if one could stop over enroute for a day or two?
What do you mean? If you mean taking the train and stopping in Florence or Bologna, the high speed train requires reservations, so you'd need seperate reservations for each leg of the trip.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much. that is what I meant. it seems from tren's website it is OK to stop like in Florence as long as you change reservations. There does not even seem to be extra charge for "lay over".
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:48 pm

You can fly direct Rome to Milan $99. Go to www.europebyair.com to purchase a flight pass. Very flexible for changing your schedule also.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:56 pm

If time isn't an issue, taking the train is a good idea. With Eurostar, the journey will be pretty fast since they have newer and faster trains. You can book thru Trenitalia.com but if you want Eurostar you have to make sure you get ticketed for Eurostar. One thing about europebyair.com you can only purchase ticket in the US before you leave. I believe that's one requirement in their policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.