Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Moonies in Airports

Moonies in Airports

Old Apr 5, 2005, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Moonies in Airports

Older travelers recall that members of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's church used to ask for alms in airports. I recall the airport authorities used to post signs to the effect that people were free to use their 1st Amendment rights to beg for alms...

Have not seen that recently. Is that a casualty of the post-9/11 security laws?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I haven't seen them (or any other group) for...decades...so I imagine any directive to keep them out pre-dates 9/11 by some time.

I like how Striker(?) handled them in the movie "Airplane".
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
They used to have a dedicated counter at SFO, at least through 1999. I don't recall passing it the last couple years. Not sure if it was Moonies, Hare Krishnas or maybe it was that cult that was waiting for a spaceship to take them home. That would provide an alternative explanation for their disappearance from the airport.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
They used to have a dedicated counter at SFO, at least through 1999. I don't recall passing it the last couple years. Not sure if it was Moonies, Hare Krishnas or maybe it was that cult that was waiting for a spaceship to take them home. That would provide an alternative explanation for their disappearance from the airport.
SFO still has a "free speech" booth near the CO check-in counters. Just listen for the "excuse me sir/maam, can I ask you a question?" as you walk through Terminal 1.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I remember them! They used to hand me a book as I walked by. I used to just keep walking with the book. Boy that pissed them off. I figured if they wanted to hand me a free book no problem.

Originally Posted by John Galt
Older travelers recall that members of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's church used to ask for alms in airports. I recall the airport authorities used to post signs to the effect that people were free to use their 1st Amendment rights to beg for alms...

Have not seen that recently. Is that a casualty of the post-9/11 security laws?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:56 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
I like how Striker(?) handled them in the movie "Airplane".
"Will you accept this flower from the Hare Krishnas?" PUNCH
"Jews for Jesus?" PUNCH

LMAO! ^

I haven't seen them in years - certainly since before 9/11. I also remember the people in the terminal that would hand out a pen or a key chain with a note that said "I'm deaf, please help me" or something to that effect. That ship sailed after 9/11 prohibited non-ticketed people through security. Can't say I miss them.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 3:59 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
The free speech counters are still alive and well in the SFO domestic terminals. I have more than once seen a hapless traveler walk over thinking it was an information booth, poor folks!. Last time I was ever handed a book was by a hare chrisna (hope I got that right) at MSY in the early 90's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.