Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

ZRH-BNE: which airline ?

Old Feb 23, 05, 4:24 am
Original Poster

I'm flying C to Brisbane from Zurich in May and have currently three offers:
- SQ via SIN at 5.8kCHF (gives LH/SA miles)
- MH via KUL at 4.2kCHF (gives LX/TC miles)
- EK via DUB/SIN at 5kCHF (gives EK only miles)

SQ would be great but is clearly more expensive so out, MH is the cheapest (which is a surprise) and gives Swiss TC miles (my pref. carrier) which is great, and EK is mid-price (still OK) and gives me the opportunity to stay a day or two in DUB and SIN on the outbound flight but I've "lost" the 30k miles from this trip (I never fly EK).

What is your experience flying EK or MH C ? I've never been to Dubai, is it worth "loosing" 30k miles and paying 10% more than with MH to visit a day or two ? (I would pay it for a day or two in SIN just to enjoy the local food

Any feedback appreciated =)

Nico.
Old Feb 23, 05, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
You can post EK miles to other schemes such as UA.

Or, you could use the 800CHF you save to pay for a side trip from KUL-SIN (assuming that MH won't give this for free - certainly ex UK it's quite common for them to throw in a side trip).

Personally i'd struggle to justify paying that big a premium for SQ...
Old Feb 23, 05, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You can post EK miles to other schemes such as UA.

[...]

Personally i'd struggle to justify paying that big a premium for SQ...
I agree, SQ is just way too expensive compared to MH for this trip.

I've been reading quite a number of forums and posts and looks like C with EK on the 777-300 is _really_ bad: old planes, old seats, no space, etc (4 of my 6 legs are on the 777, only ZRH-DUB with the 345)... will check with the EK FFs what they have to say...

The other sad news is that MH only seems to fly out of BNE every two days, which doesn't fit with my schedule in EU anymore (would arrive a day late and I can't leave BNE a day earlier)...

Last edited by nico; Feb 23, 05 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 23, 05, 9:23 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You could route via SYD, probably for the same price. MH is supposed to be greatly improved in the past 2 years (haven't flown them since, they were fairly poor in both F and J years ago). SQ makes its reputation on the F service and not the J (their J is good, but not exceptional, while their F is very good). EK is in a middle of a refit, half their planes have the improved J and the other half have a sub-standard J due to a very poor seat. I think DXB-SYD always gets the A345 and you say ZRH-DXB is also A345, so if you routed ZRH-DXB-SYD-BNE you would be guaranteed to get the good J on EK.
Old Feb 23, 05, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
You could route via SYD, probably for the same price. MH is supposed to be greatly improved in the past 2 years (haven't flown them since, they were fairly poor in both F and J years ago). SQ makes its reputation on the F service and not the J (their J is good, but not exceptional, while their F is very good). EK is in a middle of a refit, half their planes have the improved J and the other half have a sub-standard J due to a very poor seat. I think DXB-SYD always gets the A345 and you say ZRH-DXB is also A345, so if you routed ZRH-DXB-SYD-BNE you would be guaranteed to get the good J on EK.
You're better off asking this in the EK forum, but my understanding & experience is that there's no refit underway. New aircraft are being configured differently and they took 1 or 2 rows of C out of the A330's to make the legrrom the same as the 777 - i.e around 48 inches.

It's also difficult to say the seat is sub-par when it has the same pitch as many carriers who haven't gone to flat beds.

Bear in mind as well that EK gives you the limo transfers even on discounted J. Not sure if MH will do this for you.

It's also worth being aware that the new MH J class seats have had some negative feedback - clearly they're an improvement over the old ones, but not by much...
Old Feb 24, 05, 4:09 pm

Yes, i definately agree with everyone here.

IMHO Emirates would be the best - frequent flights, nice perks, great food free(!) stopover in Dubai (they will pay for transfers, dinner and 1 night at a 4-5* hotel - they dont advertise it cause they have so many requests for it), stopover in Singapore. Moreover the A340-500 (ZRH-DXB) is amazing, much better than MH

Good Luck
Old Feb 25, 05, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by nico
I'm flying C to Brisbane from Zurich in May

What is your experience flying EK or MH C ? I've never been to Dubai, is it worth "loosing" 30k miles and paying 10% more than with MH to visit a day or two ? (I would pay it for a day or two in SIN just to enjoy the local food

Any feedback appreciated =)
Nico.
Fly EK from Zurich to Dubai on the 345 (you will like the ICE entertainment system) and make a stopover in Dubai.
It is worth to see this "new Motropolis" in the desert. May is the last month for a visit to Dubai, after that it gets tooo hot.
Do not count on a free accommodation, sometimes EK has such special offers, but not on a regular basis.
If you like to have more informations about Dubai, contact me.
Old Feb 25, 05, 4:18 am

Programs: some
As recommended to me the other day: you could use the EK points earned on the way up to UG on the way back (part of the way).

But reading the EK reviews on airlinequality.com I'd consider MH (although reviews for the A340 are good).
Old Feb 25, 05, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nico
The other sad news is that MH only seems to fly out of BNE every two days, which doesn't fit with my schedule in EU anymore (would arrive a day late and I can't leave BNE a day earlier)...
I've checked this out, and MH fly into BNE every day except a Tuesday (departs KUL 0920, arr BNE 1850, return 2350//0605).
The ZRH flight is only 3x a week, but BNE is 6x
Old Feb 25, 05, 5:26 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Malaysia are presently refitting their F and J Class.

Details here:

http://www.bookonline-malaysiaairlin...pp/newExp.html
Old Sep 8, 05, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You're better off asking this in the EK forum, but my understanding & experience is that there's no refit underway. New aircraft are being configured differently and they took 1 or 2 rows of C out of the A330's to make the legrrom the same as the 777 - i.e around 48 inches.
The 777-200's are being refitted with newer seats that are slightly better. The A330's seat pitch has been improved to 55" (not 48")

Cheers
Old Sep 9, 05, 1:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
EK is my choice. I have made the trip three times already and was just great. Take advantage of their stopover rates for a night or two in DXB. Even a direct flight, just a change at DXB was very pleasant, go F if you can. These suites are just the best on the market and service was just perfect.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: