Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Becoming an "independent travel agent"--what's the catch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Becoming an "independent travel agent"--what's the catch?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spottie
The catch is that there are no more industry discounts given out to travel agents! Honest, the airlines haven't done this in many years... hotels, maybe you could finagle a discount, but often there are other better deals being offered to the public. What rare rare agent offers there are are nearly impossible to take advatange of ....
Well, out of 6 luxury Caribbean resorts that I contacted recently regarding "travel agent rates"--I have gotten replies from 4. All four offered 50% off of rack rate, and only 2 of them attached a 3-night maximum to that. 'Big deal' you might say, one can usually find an even better deal than that just by doing some web crawling. Doesn't appear to be the case for these types of properties though--there just aren't any deals to be had (especially not at 50% off RR).
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
The last time I did book an agent rate the hotel did not want to let me have it at checkin even though I had business cards, IATAN card and information with me showing I was on company business. They wanted a letter from management on company letterhead as well. Only after I told them that I could get a letter faxed the next morning from our headquarters would they let me check in at the agent rate. They said it was because so many non legitimate "agents" abused the policy. That really makes makes me mad.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3ata
The last time I did book an agent rate the hotel did not want to let me have it at checkin even though I had business cards, IATAN card and information with me showing I was on company business. They wanted a letter from management on company letterhead as well. Only after I told them that I could get a letter faxed the next morning from our headquarters would they let me check in at the agent rate. They said it was because so many non legitimate "agents" abused the policy. That really makes makes me mad.
Completely understandable. And, FWIW, thanks to the information in this thread, I think I'll pass on becoming an "independent agent." But the point of my post was merely to figure out why this offer seemed too good to be true. Not to revel in the fact that "hey, I'm going to become a pseudo-travel agent and get all the discounts automatically when I show my fake travel agent ID card!" Sidenote: InteleTravel says in it's user guide that, upon request, it will provide their agents with letterhead stating their affiliation with the company.

This thread is closed as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:22 pm

Programs: some
Interesting replies. Rather than trying to obtain discounts would such an affiliation give you access to booking engines that are not otherwise available to the public? I'd be happy to pay for that.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fliar
Rather than trying to obtain discounts would such an affiliation give you access to booking engines that are not otherwise available to the public?
Well, that's to be determined. Joining up with InteleTravel does grant you access to their "members only" booking engine, but how good those rates actually are is a mystery (unless there's an InteleTravel member lurking who'd like to comment?).
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I am guessing the distinction Fliar is making is whether you merely getting access to travel industry discounts (seems dubious) or if you can get login access to the GDS - ie the ability to search fares and availability directly yourself. The latter would indeed be good if price to join is low enough.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:18 am

Not to change the subject, but...

Originally Posted by travis bickle
twa4ever -

you are right. i did not bother to mention those old rates precisely because they were so o-o-o-l-d.

and, they used to have standby fares, missionary fares, etc., etc.

but those were the "old" days.
did missionary fares entitle membership into the mile high club?
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:18 am

Programs: UA *G
Do they still pay commission? One of the entities for like $150 paid 6-20%, or claimed to.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:37 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
Some of the travel agent mills will allow access to GDS at an extra cost.

This appears to be one of those gray ethical areas as far as getting an agent
card solely/primarily for self discounts.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:07 pm

Everyone else probably already figured this out but, having read the manual, what I think it boils down to is this:

1) you are not an actual travel agent, Intele Travel is (you are merely an
intermediary)
2) you book your (and others') travel through them
3) in exchange for this you get a small discount/commission
***so it all boils down to how get their prices are***
4) as a result I would be very surprised if you got GDS (for free)
5) many larger companies/hotels will not honour an independent agent's card
6) smaller hotels may do. If you are not intending to give them any business
in the future (e.g. by recommending friends to them) you are, in effect,
robbing them. Whether this is acceptable to you, is of course your personal
decision.

Note that they say it will only really work when based in the US.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:25 am

It does work

Well I don't live in US and I am an Independent Travel agent for the company you have mentioned. Personally I love it, you can book on line using Travelocity and JetBlue Airways but as I don't live in US, for my own travel I contact the hotels direct. Please note that you are an actual Independent Travel Agent not just an intermediary as mentioned. Many larger hotels will not look at ANY travel agent unless they have an IATAN card, regardless of who you work for. In order to obtain one you need to generate a certain amount of sales per year. In my country, an IATA card is standard for obtaining benefits, a travel agent number.

For friends and relatives who do live in the US then I log on and use the site to book. This works for cruises, holidays, and car rentals. Commission isn't paid on airtravel. The Fam's or Famils as called here are proper ones too, with industry rates and tours of facilities. And yes commissions are paid.

For me it works as a side business (legitimate) plus I get to have great trips. Do I think the card was worth it? YEP. But that;s just the opinion of someone who uses their card to their advantage.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:02 pm

It did work

As a marketing professional with a Siem Reap hotel in Cambodia I am well placed to give the views of hotel management.

1) There are an increasing number of scams in the hospitality business. These range from people representing themselves as journalists, travel-writers etc to people representing themselves as travel agents and other travel professionals to so-called Online Reservation web sites.
2) Fake ID cards are cheap and easy to obtain, especially in Asia. What is worrying is when a company can obtain valid travel agent certification and effectively sell it to thousands of scammers.
3) The scammers often ask for big discounts and free benefits. If the hotel or organisation is not so savvy and/or desperate for promotion, they are fooled and the scammers get what they want.
4) The real travel professionals are becoming increasingly aware of scams. A bit of internet research quickly reveals scam tactics and companies.
5) A real travel agent is an agent who deals in travel and hospitality business, i.e. generates significant business for hotels and other organisations, AT STANDARD RATES!!! The hotels etc give great deals to the agents so that they can experience their services and subsequently promote and sell them. Its a win-win situation.

Representing onesself as an agent with the intention of only taking advantage of the cheap deals is tantamount to fraud.

Inteletravel is a tool for people to get low low rates for its members. So low that the hotel etc does not make profit. As far as we can see, the members do not make bookings for people other than themselves and family at low rates. Therefore, there is no benefit to the hotel.

For all those looking to benefit from this scam... be warned, we are on to you.

Sorry guys...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:20 pm

Inteletravel

I tried to book some travel today using my IATA# issued to me from Inteletravel. The company I was talking to told me Inteletravel was on their black list. This company led me to believe that Inteletravel was selling that IATA# to everyone and companies were no longer honoring it.

So yes, I believe it's "too good to be true".
Old May 23, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
Just wanted to lift up this old thread with some new information. It seems that "card mills" are still around and doing well. Basically, they will let you piggy-bag on their IATA number as an "independent agent". Will industry members are very unhappy with such practice there seems to be very little they could do to stop it. For more info read this:

http://homebasedtravelagentsblog.typepad.com/

OUR MONTHLY LIST OF THE MOST NOTABLE BUMS IN THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY

gangster

The companies listed below are either an MLM or a card mill. Some are both. I just cannot understand why some suppliers continue to support the 95% of these MLM affiliates when they are just consumers trying to discount their vacation. Some suppliers will say they support these companies because they can't separate the consumers from the serious agents. The solution is to stiffen the requirements for all incentives to travel agents. Of course, there are those suppliers that feed on pure greed for a sale and allow consumer affiliates to book travel and provide commissions. ( It's called "commission rebating" or throwing manure against the wall to see what sticks). It's OK for the suppliers but not the travel agent to rebate commissions. Suppliers who really care about the travel professional would not advertise on the MLM websites or display at their "smell the money" conventions.

Terminating the MLMs and card mills will not have an adverse effect on suppliers. The good agents will just move to a better Host Agency as they are presently doing and sell the products from there, just as they did when they left JoyStar.

The following companies are either MLM's, card mills or financially troubled host agencies. If you know of others please let me know and I will add them to the list. If you find that I am incorrect in listing one of these companies, I will do a retraction in the following issue.

A-1 TRAVEL-VACATION.COM
ACTIVE TRAVEL NETWORK
AMERICAN TRAVEL BUREAU
AMERICAN VOYAGER TRAVEL a/k/a GRAND VOYAGER TRAVEL
CASH CARD WORLDWIDE, now known as TRAVEL REACTION
COASTAL VACATION CLUB
GATEWAY ASSURANCE SYSTEM
GOLDRUSH GETAWAYS
EE TRAVEL BENEFITS
GLOBAL TRAVEL INTERNATIONAL Many hotels no longer accept their card.
FUN TIME VACATION CLUB
GT TRENDS formerly PRT TRAVEL
HOLIDAY PLANNERS a/k/a INFINITE FRONTIERS and formerly AMERICAN VOYAGER, not to be confused with Holiday Planners , Branson, Missouri.
INTELETRAVEL(terminated by IATAN)
KE TRAVEL
JOIN CRUISE TO CASH
MY LEISURE BUSINESS.BIZ, A spinoff from World Ventures. They grow like weeds in a manure farm.
NET TRAV
PROTRAVEL NETWORK (NOW PTN, INC), a piece of work (not to be confused with ProTravel International) Recently changed its name to PTN, INC so it can sell non-travel item.
QUEST TRAVEL NETWORK ( a few MLM dogs joined together)
TRAVELBRIDGE
TRAVELENCIA
TRAVELONE (Beacon Travel)
TRAVELSTAR(JOYSTAR), Chapter 7
TRAVELWIZE a/k/a CYBERWIZE, just fried
TRAVERUS
TVI EXPRESS, the latest and is really about lies & deceipt) ULTIMATE CHOICE TRAVEL
WORLD VENTURES TRAVEL
YTB INTERNATIONAL (In serious financial trouble) YOUR TRAVEL BIZ, YTBCARS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.