Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Share your best banks for avoiding ATM fees...

Share your best banks for avoiding ATM fees...

Old Feb 12, 2005, 5:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
I'll agree with the above post...Netbank has given me excellent service all around with all of my banking--including equity line. There is no charge for any ATM usage and I've used it all around the world. For local cash, I use the Washington Mutual down the street and never pay any ATM fees.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
"Washington Mutual does not currently charge any fee for withdrawals made from their ATM's, even withdrawals made by non-customers."

Originally Posted by whiteknuckles
This is true, HOWEVER, they DO charge their customers a fee for withdrawing money from another bank's ATM, even outside of the U.S.A. For this reason, I opened an account at NetBank (through the partner link on United Airlines' website to get bonus mileage). NetBank does not charge a fee for using any bank's ATMs, domestic or international.
You are correct, of course, which is why I never suggested opening an account at Wamu. I merely suggested making use of Wamu's ATM's if one's own bank does not reimburse other banks' ATM fees. The bank I use for my checking account, Presidential Bank, does not reimburse other banks' ATM fees (and, apparently, neither does NetBank), but as long as I make my withdrawals from a Wamu ATM, I still pay nothing. (And Presidential's checking account pays 3.00 % APY, TWICE the rate of interest that NetBank pays. But Presidential does require that one maintain direct-deposit into the checking account, and the 3.00 % is paid only on the first $25,000 on deposit. For balances over $25,000, the overage earns 1.75 %.)

Depending on one's ATM habits, a bank that reimburses some or all of other banks' ATM fees may be a better deal than taking advantage of Presidential's higher interest rate. But for me, with Washington Mutual ATM's convenient to both my home and my office, Presidential is the best deal.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Doug, you have an excellent and possibly convenient solution. The Mechanics Bank (of Richmond, CA) now has a branch in the SF Financial District - on Sansome St.

I have been banking with them (on their home turf) as both my business bank (since 1990) and personal bank (since the mid-90s or so) and find that they are from very good to excellent. They also rebate all ATM fees from elsewhere, and you get 1% on your ATM purchases when you use the card as a credit transaction (as opposed to an ATM transaction).

They are a very safe, stable, and conservative bank which has been around for 100 years, and although in a "growth mode", grows very slowly and conservatively, and still family controlled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.