Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone else panic during long flight runway delays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Recently I was sitting on a plane in a window seat of a full aircraft and started to feel panic as the plane SAT AND SAT on the tarmac for HOURS during an unexplained flight delay. I felt so closed in and helpless. I could not get up and leave- I was trapped on that plane and no matter what I did I was not able to get away from the situation.

There was no word from the flight deck when we would take off --I started to wonder if there was another terror attack and we would be stuck on the plane for days (like the diverted passengers on planes in Canada on September 11th). The airline could keep us on this cramped flight for days legally!

So was it crazy to panic during a long delay? (I have been on 100s of flights but never felt this way before!)

Last edited by Chabroach; May 30, 2007 at 2:18 pm
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I have been fortunate that all my long runway holds have been in Business Class, so I just recline and relax.

Also, since I fly UA and have access to ATC and tower communications, I generally know exactly what the hold-up is, which helps. Hoorah for Channel 9! ^
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless something strange or suspicious can be seen through the windows, NO.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 2:19 am

Get a grip.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 2:30 am

The OP's panic seems to have been caused by the lack of information rather than the delay itself. If a flight is delayed on the ground then surely passengers ought to be informed of the reason?
Old Jan 9, 2005, 1:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I do not believe there is not more people who get really nervous during a long flight delay. Don't you feel like a hostage? Doesn't anyone else care that they have total control over your movement for as long as they like?

No I am not a nut.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 2:10 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Hmm, I've recently (as mentioned in another thread, which I really need to reply to and thank the contributors) started experiencing panic attacks, one of which was in a similar situation to the one which you describe. Having spoken to a couple of other panic attack sufferers, this appears to be a 'danger spot' for air travel. So no, it's not so unusual.

As I understand it, one common thing with panic disorders is that there are a number of specific situations which can trigger a panic. Don't necessarily believe that it's rational (although it's easy to rationalise such an event), as it often isn't. Even if not agoraphobia, it's often like a form of claustrophobia. Only here, it's not so much a question of being enclosed, but rather being in a situation where you know there is no way to 'the outside' (you have left the ramp) and where you don't know what's going on (you can't really see, or it's dark) and you don't know how long you're going to be in this situation for.

In my, and my friends', cases, this can trigger irregular breathing that leads to hyperventilation and panic. All very unpleasant.

Now, this is personal and shared experience, and may not be in the slightest related to yours. However, I would ask:

Are you sure the panic is down to rational discomfort and not irrational fear?

Do you experience panic in similarly confined situations elsewhere in life?

Are you going through a period of high stress or similar pressure in your life?

Is this causing you major discomfort?

If it's causing you problems, you may want to see a doctor about it, even if it's just to make your flights less unpleasant and anxious.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:38 pm

Programs: CO Plat, DL Million Miler
Originally Posted by Jim Phillips
Get a grip.
Gee, I didn't know Dr. Phil was a FT member...
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Yes, but only if it's Northwest. Whether intentional or not, NW seems to have a monopoly in holding passengers hostage on their planes for long period of time.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Chabroach
I do not believe there is not more people who get really nervous during a long flight delay. Don't you feel like a hostage? Doesn't anyone else care that they have total control over your movement for as long as they like?

No I am not a nut.
I don't think you're a nut. Personally, the moment I read the words "window seat" in your first posting I understood the feeling exactly. I have experienced panic attacks from claustrophobia, and for this reason, I will never, ever take a window seat. (I'm apparently the only person on the planet who will voluntarily choose a middle seat, if my only option is that or a window in a three-seat row. This is purely because the farther away I am from "freedom," i.e. the aisle, the more agitated I get.) If you're even vaguely claustrophobic, the experience of being confined in a window seat and unable to escape the aircraft itself could become unbearable very quickly.

As for the rational fear vs. irrational phobia question, the unfortunate fact is that a panic attack is utterly irrational, and yet completely impossible to reason away no matter how much you realize its senselessness even while it's happening. They are very terrifying just because of that issue. I'm a totally rational and analytical person normally, but when these things strike, there's absolutely nothing you can do about the physical effects. I personally feel like I'm about to suffer a heart attack. It's very scary.

My only remedy for impending panic attacks is to close my eyes and breathe very slowly and deeply, from the diaphragm, and just wait for them to subside.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hey, I'm with the OP: I hate extended delays after the airplane has been loaded. Part of it is that I remember the stories of Northwest pax being held for hours. I was on a flight today out of DEN on United - we pulled away from the gate about 20 feet and sat there for 30 minutes. No word from the flight deck as to why. People were fidgety throughout the cabin. Eventually we proceeded on our way and were actually on-time at the destination, but a little heads-up from the captain would have been appreciated. I wasn't freaked out enough to flag down a flight attendant or find someone who had headphones on, but it was a bit uncomfortable nonetheless.

I used to fly through ORD quite a bit. Some of my friends thought I was nuts wasting upgrade coupons on MCI-ORD. But I've been through enough of these ground holds in Chicago that I know there's a decent chance we'll be sitting somewhere on the tarmac for a while coming or going. Many, many times that has been a very well spent upgrade coupon.

To the original point, I don't think people get scared that something's wrong with the plane - I think they just want a little communication every now and then.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
panic does not serve a purpose

When I feel ill, I alert a flight attendant that I think I might be distressed and at risk of vomiting. (I throw up when I am too claustrophobic.) There isn't a lot she can do but when necessary she has found a volunteer to get me an aisle seat and it really helps. Just knowing I can run to the bathroom and not be stuck where I might throw up on someone else really helps!

Now that I am a Silver Elite on Northwest so far, knock on wood, I have been either first class or in an aisle seat every time. But to be honest the panic attacks, if that is what they ever were, as opposed to some sort of allergy attack, stopped a couple years before.

Try explaining your concern and see what happens. They are trained to help. They are not psychiatrists and can't prescribe medicine but if possible they can find you a place to sit where you don't feel closed in.

Originally Posted by Chabroach
Recently I was sitting on a plane in a window seat of a full aircraft and started to feel panic as the plane SAT AND SAT on the tarmac for HOURS during an unexplained flight delay. I felt so closed in and helpless. I could not get up and leave- I was trapped on that plane and no matter what I did I was not able to get away from the situation.

There was no word from the flight deck when we would take off --I started to wonder if there was another terror attack and we would be stuck on the plane for days (like the diverted passengers on planes in Canada on September 11th). The airline could legally keep us on this cramped flight for days legally!

So was it crazy to panic during a long delay? (I have been on 100s of flights but never felt this way before!)
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
You can always ask what the problem is! We can be sitting for only 10 minutes and I will be the first one to ask what's going on. Always. I hate sitting and not knowing what's going on--I too feel imprisoned, and I"m not even claustrophobic.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:21 pm
Original Member

I prefer to panic when strange things happen while one is airborne.

On the ground, I figure that I can probably get out of the craft before dying.

If I did not feel thusly, I would not board it. Very few pax have died while awaiting takeoff.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: United MP
I experienced this just once, on Delta, in Atlanta. I think it was in 1995. I've learned a lot more about how things work and it hasn't happened again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.