Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Paul4Travel
COLOMBIA

Most of these posts are for purchases, but this is on your airline ticket itself.

There is about a US$70 equivalent refund if you stay less than 90 days in the country. It is for a tax that is charged when you purchase the ticket and is refunded in Colombian Pesos on the spot.

BUT, we have found sometimes the airline doesn't pay you if you do not know you are entitled to this! They have you get the form from the Customs window, have you sign the form and then they are SUPPOSED TO HAND YOU THE PESOS IN CASH.

ICELAND

You can get a tax rebate when you buy in one place for a minimum of ISK4000 (approx us$ 35-40 )
You can get the money at several location in town + at the Airport.

IRELAND

In Ireland, non EU citizens get the VAT back (sales tax) on purchases that are taken out of Europe.

You also get your VAT back if you are foreign & studying here and you buy anything in the 3 months before you leave, processed under the same system.

You get a card to make it simple.
Here's more info...
https://www.shoptaxfree.com/tourists/am-i-eligible/

There is even an iPhone app to help you claim back your Tax (up to 21%!)

TAIWAN

‧Requirements for VAT Refund
1. Foreign travelers holding passports from countries other than the R.O.C., travel documents or R.O.C. passports without personal ID numbers attached.

2. Foreign travelers who make purchases of at least NT$3,000 on the same day from the same Tax Refund Shopping (TRS)-posted store, are eligible for a refund of the 5% VAT paid on those purchased goods. To claim the refund, they must apply at the port of their departure from the R.O.C. within 30 days following the date of purchase, and they must take the purchased goods out of the country with them.

http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0002064#h8

TANZANIA

Further details here http://www.tra.go.tz/index.php/refund-to-non-citizens

THAILAND

Thailand has a VAT refund for all merchandise taken out of the country. There is a minimum purchase ( don't remember the number, but it's small on any day, the value of goods purchased at each participating store shall not be less than 2,000 baht, including VAT. The total amount claimed for refund must not be less than 5,000 baht, including VAT.), you get a form from the merchant and you have to show the merchandise at the airport before you check in. After that you get the refund inside the secure area after customs and immigration. For tax refunds of under 30,000 Baht, payment can be made to you in Thai Baht, bankers draft or to your credit card account. For cash payments, a 100 Baht processing fee will be deducted from the money refunded to you. If you are claiming back an amount in excess of 30,000 Baht, payment will be made by bank draft or credit card account. For refunds made by bank draft, the fee is 100 Baht plus the appropriate fees charged by the issuing bank.
Other details:http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

I do not know of a centralized resource (FlyerTalk or otherwise) where one can access a list of countries that offer a rebate (cash, tax or otherwise) to visitors.

For example, I was in Italy twice and did not know that that country had a program.

The purpose of this thread is to give visitors of foreign nations, territories and other autonomous governments and regions a list of countries that offer a rebate of any sort, as well as a list of qualifications to apply for that rebate.

With the help of other FlyerTalk members, this thread will become quite a comprehensive list of resourceful information that may be quite useful to FlyerTalk members who could gain valuable knowledge and legally profit from it.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 30, 2007 at 8:39 pm Reason: The original information posted here now seems to be outdated and obsolete.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:25 am

Value-Added Tax Refund in Germany

(Sorry for not keeping original format).
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:17 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Louisiana, in the United States

As our sales tax is very high, it is well for the international visitors to avail themselves of our tax rebate program for international visitors.

http://www.louisianataxfree.com/

Enjoy your shopping! Royal Street (French Quarter) is too overpriced but Magazine Street (uptown) is lots of fun and I would not pass by the Riverwalk which, OK, the usual mall stuff, but in a pretty setting overlooking the Mississippi River and a fun place to gather. Very convenient to Harrah's and the Aquarium, so after you win a big jackpot at Harrah's you can stroll over and do some shopping.

The website claims we are the only one of the 50 states to offer a tax rebate to international visitors. I have no idea if this is true, but since sales taxes are high, and prices fairly low, in Louisiana, then you should be getting a very good deal if you like to shop.

Originally Posted by chtiet
Value-Added Tax Refund in Germany

(Sorry for not keeping original format).
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:52 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Australia

Australia

Tourist Refund Scheme
  • Spend at least A$300 in a single store and get a single tax invoice (receipt). If you've made multiple purchaes at a single store which combined would exceed $A300, you must request that the store consolidate those purchaes into a single tax invoice.
  • You can collect the refund from multiple stores; however, each store's purchase(s) must exceed A$300.
  • Buy goods within 30 days of departure
  • Wear or carry the goods as you're clearing customs/immigration at departure (ie, no checked baggage)
  • Make the claim >30 minutes before your departure
  • Some items are specifically excluded, including beer and spirits (but not wine), so just buy them at the duty-free shop. Check the site using the link above for details.

Typically, you'll make your claim at the TRS office, which is generally located just past the immigration/customs/security checkpoint. According to the website, claims will be paid out in the following ways:
  • Check
  • Credit to an Australian bank account
  • Payment to a credit card (they don't specify which, but I assume MC/V, possibly AmEx)

Many stores (jewelers in particular) offer tax-free shopping (ie, subtract 10% off the prices you see). Typically, this will entail you filling out a form at the time of purchase. Your merchandise will be placed in a sealed bag. It must stay in that sealed bag until you've reached the customs/immigration departure point prior to security screening. At that point, they'll collect the tax invoice, and you can move the item(s) into your normal carry-on baggage.

For all the details, visit http://www.customs.gov.au/ - check out the "quick guide to customs for travellers" section.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great idea Canarsie ^

Will add NZ in a few days.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This is a great thread - maybe a moderator can make it a sticky? Cheers. Sharon...
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
New Zealand

GST on purchases

Unlike other Customs administrations, there is no provision for travellers to obtain a refund of Goods and Services Tax (GST) on their purchases when they leave the country.

In order to purchase goods without payment of GST, travellers are required to purchase from a duty free shop or arrange for the retailer/supplier to export the goods.
GST is 12.5% for all goods (except those exported by the supplier). In addition, alcohol and tobacco products have further levies.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:36 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I've gotten VAT refunds throughout Europe - Norway, Sweden, Germany, Italy, France, Ireland, England, Spain. There are a lot more I'm not thinking of. In some countries - Italy especially - small shops tend to offer you a discount when you ask about the VAT refund because they'd just as soon avoid the paperwork (and often reporting the income). This has happened to me in other countries as well. It's always worth asking about.

While it's certainly good to make people aware of the VAT refund programs, I would suggest looking up the minimums and rules for where you're going just prior to your trip (Google's a big help). The minimum amounts you must spend in one shop to qualify tend to increase periodically. I suspect any specifics posted here will be out of date soon, unless someone wants to do some constant upkeep. ...

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 3, 2005 at 4:41 pm
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
While things might change, I think this is a good thread & am glad it's a sticky.

I didn't know (until someone mentioned it verbally to me in passing a while back) that you can get rebate on hotel costs in Canada. While not huge, every $$ back is a $$ that can be used for future travel

I still haven't been able to find out if you can get VAT back on hotels in UK, so if anyone knows that answer please let me know as their VAT is pretty high. PS - I tried reading through a multiple-page legalese form on the internet & still couldn't figure it out.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I still haven't been able to find out if you can get VAT back on hotels in UK, so if anyone knows that answer please let me know as their VAT is pretty high.
You can't get the VAT back for goods and services consumed during your stay in the EU. The return of the VAT is only available for goods that are exported out of the Union.

And a general point about refunds that needs to be noted:
The EEA (EU+ Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and probably another country that I can't remember) is considered a single entity for tax rebate purposes. Therefore EEA residents are not eligible for tax rebates for goods/services purchased in another EEA country.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Sorry, I am hopeless with formats and so on. Please have a look at those three pages, they might be of help.

http://www.vrc-vatrefund.com/chart_en.pdf

http://www.retourtax.com/faq.htm

http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/navp...asure&id=28161
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I didn't know (until someone mentioned it verbally to me in passing a while back) that you can get rebate on hotel costs in Canada. While not huge, every $$ back is a $$ that can be used for future travel
Make sure that you have the form issued by the Canadian Government, and not by some private tax-rebate firm - only the gov't will charge you no fee and give you your full refund. Gov't forms are typically available at airport information counters, and clearly say that they are issued by Revenue Canada.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Thailand

Spend THB 2,000+ in the same (participating) store on the same day
Store has to fill out the rebate form
Minimum total purchase of THB 5,000 from all forms

If the goods are checked-in, have to present them to customs for inspection. If carry on, there's a rebate desk after immigration.

Tax is 7%.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:08 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
I've been waiting and waiting and no one has mentioned Argentina. I am not the expert on this so you might want to check out relevant posts on Gaucho100K's Buenos Aires thread in the South America forum.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:31 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
This site has information on tax-free shopping in 35 countries (Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland/Liechtenstein, Turkey, UK):

http://www.globalrefund.com/

Last edited by MovieMan; Feb 17, 2005 at 11:38 pm Reason: Added country list

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.