List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Paul4Travel
COLOMBIA

Most of these posts are for purchases, but this is on your airline ticket itself.

There is about a US$70 equivalent refund if you stay less than 90 days in the country. It is for a tax that is charged when you purchase the ticket and is refunded in Colombian Pesos on the spot.

BUT, we have found sometimes the airline doesn't pay you if you do not know you are entitled to this! They have you get the form from the Customs window, have you sign the form and then they are SUPPOSED TO HAND YOU THE PESOS IN CASH.

ICELAND

You can get a tax rebate when you buy in one place for a minimum of ISK4000 (approx us$ 35-40 )
You can get the money at several location in town + at the Airport.

IRELAND

In Ireland, non EU citizens get the VAT back (sales tax) on purchases that are taken out of Europe.

You also get your VAT back if you are foreign & studying here and you buy anything in the 3 months before you leave, processed under the same system.

You get a card to make it simple.
Here's more info...
https://www.shoptaxfree.com/tourists/am-i-eligible/

There is even an iPhone app to help you claim back your Tax (up to 21%!)

TAIWAN

‧Requirements for VAT Refund
1. Foreign travelers holding passports from countries other than the R.O.C., travel documents or R.O.C. passports without personal ID numbers attached.

2. Foreign travelers who make purchases of at least NT$3,000 on the same day from the same Tax Refund Shopping (TRS)-posted store, are eligible for a refund of the 5% VAT paid on those purchased goods. To claim the refund, they must apply at the port of their departure from the R.O.C. within 30 days following the date of purchase, and they must take the purchased goods out of the country with them.

http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0002064#h8

TANZANIA

Further details here http://www.tra.go.tz/index.php/refund-to-non-citizens

THAILAND

Thailand has a VAT refund for all merchandise taken out of the country. There is a minimum purchase ( don't remember the number, but it's small on any day, the value of goods purchased at each participating store shall not be less than 2,000 baht, including VAT. The total amount claimed for refund must not be less than 5,000 baht, including VAT.), you get a form from the merchant and you have to show the merchandise at the airport before you check in. After that you get the refund inside the secure area after customs and immigration. For tax refunds of under 30,000 Baht, payment can be made to you in Thai Baht, bankers draft or to your credit card account. For cash payments, a 100 Baht processing fee will be deducted from the money refunded to you. If you are claiming back an amount in excess of 30,000 Baht, payment will be made by bank draft or credit card account. For refunds made by bank draft, the fee is 100 Baht plus the appropriate fees charged by the issuing bank.
Other details:http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/
Print Wikipost

List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:54 am

discount hotels or anywhere?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Thailand has a VAT refund for all merchandise taken out of the country. There is a minimum purchase (don't remember the number, but it's small), you get a form from the merchant and you have to show the merchandise at the airport before you check in. After that you get the refund inside the secure area after customs and immigration.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Thailand has a VAT refund for all merchandise .
All merchandise?

How much do I get back for 6 knock off Rolex's?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:11 pm

In Ireland, non EU citizens get the VAT back (sales tax) on purchases that are taken out of Europe.

You also get your VAT back if you are foreign & studying here and you buy anything in the 3 months before you leave, processed under the same system.

Here's more info...

Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot

Here's more info...

I assume the beer in my belly would not count
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:23 am

COLOMBIA

COLOMBIAN TAX REFUND

Most of these posts are for purchases, but this is on your airline ticket itself.

There is about a US$70 equivalent refund if you stay less than 90 days in the country. It is for a tax that is charged when you purchase the ticket and is refunded in Colombian Pesos on the spot.

BUT, we have found sometimes the airline doesn't pay you if you do not know you are entitled to this! They have you get the form from the Customs window, have you sign the form and then they are SUPPOSED TO HAND YOU THE PESOS IN CASH.

SO, GET YOUR MONEY!!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:11 pm

Does anyone here have experience purchasing goods in an EU/Euro using nation AND used Global Blue for their tax refund?

I ended up purchasing a new watch for about $10,000 while I was in Paris, and I submitted my global blue paperwork from here in the States back to Europe on 1/6/15. I used the Global Blue labeled envelope that I was given by the shop owner, and it was addressed to Global Blue's office in Slovakia. At the airport before I left Paris, I tried scanning my paperwork on the PABLO machine, but it would not scan. According to the tenant who was at the machines, I was forwarded along to the next line where two officers operated a desk. I showed them my paperwork and explained my issue, and they placed my paperwork in a machine and stamped the copies I returned to Global Blue. I'm assuming this was the customs stamp.

According to some things I have read (and what I assumed at time of purchase), the commission that Global Blue takes is the difference between the VAT and the return that is listed on the tax paperwork. On the watch I purchased, the refund was 12%, so GB's commission is 8% since the VAT is 20%. Why are there people out there receiving less than 12%??

For instance, my sister was with me on my trip and she ended up purchasing a scarf for about $304 U.S, or $250 Euro at the time of purchase with a 1.21 exchange rate. She just received her refund back, and it was only $29. That's a bit less than the 12% we were promised even with the further weakening of the Euro to 1.15.

Does anyone else have any experience with Global Blue purchasing goods overseas, and not receiving the proper amount back? Today is 1/20/15, and I still haven't seen my refund hit my AMEX, but my sister received hers back on 1/15/14.

Last edited by jtm893; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:17 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Is the purpose of the thread showing countries that offer VAT returns to tourists (or VAT discounts/exemptions)?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by graraps
You can't get the VAT back for goods and services consumed during your stay in the EU. The return of the VAT is only available for goods that are exported out of the Union.

And a general point about refunds that needs to be noted:
The EEA (EU+ Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and probably another country that I can't remember) is considered a single entity for tax rebate purposes. Therefore EEA residents are not eligible for tax rebates for goods/services purchased in another EEA country.
Not exactly true - EU residents cannot get tax rebates in the EU, however EU residents can claim rebates in other parts of the EEA.

I a UK resident and I always claim my tax back after visiting Norway
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:16 pm

Japan, Singapore and Korea in Asia.

In Japan it is done when you purchase the product.

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 21, 2016 at 5:00 pm Reason: Merged by moderator
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: NIL
New Zealand

GST on purchases

Quote:
Unlike other Customs administrations, there is no provision for travellers to obtain a refund of Goods and Services Tax (GST) on their purchases when they leave the country.

In order to purchase goods without payment of GST, travellers are required to purchase from a duty free shop or arrange for the retailer/supplier to export the goods.
GST is 12.5% for all goods (except those exported by the supplier). In addition, alcohol and tobacco products have further levies.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdjohns1
Australia

Tourist Refund Scheme
  • Spend at least A$300 in a single store and get a single tax invoice (receipt). If you've made multiple purchaes at a single store which combined would exceed $A300, you must request that the store consolidate those purchaes into a single tax invoice.
  • You can collect the refund from multiple stores; however, each store's purchase(s) must exceed A$300.
  • Buy goods within 30 days of departure
  • Wear or carry the goods as you're clearing customs/immigration at departure (ie, no checked baggage)
  • Make the claim >30 minutes before your departure
  • Some items are specifically excluded, including beer and spirits (but not wine), so just buy them at the duty-free shop. Check the site using the link above for details.

Typically, you'll make your claim at the TRS office, which is generally located just past the immigration/customs/security checkpoint. According to the website, claims will be paid out in the following ways:
  • Check
  • Credit to an Australian bank account
  • Payment to a credit card (they don't specify which, but I assume MC/V, possibly AmEx)

Many stores (jewelers in particular) offer tax-free shopping (ie, subtract 10% off the prices you see). Typically, this will entail you filling out a form at the time of purchase. Your merchandise will be placed in a sealed bag. It must stay in that sealed bag until you've reached the customs/immigration departure point prior to security screening. At that point, they'll collect the tax invoice, and you can move the item(s) into your normal carry-on baggage.

For all the details, check out the "quick guide to customs for travellers" section.
Thank you this mate
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by theweather
COLOMBIAN TAX REFUND

SO, GET YOUR MONEY!!
Is this still applicable 2023? I've googled but can't find any information about it. Can someone please point me in the right direction where I can find the complete requirements?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.