FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Consolidated Thread: Priority Pass for Airport Lounges [through 2012] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/3848-consolidated-thread-priority-pass-airport-lounges-through-2012-a.html)

ffI Jul 11, 2010 11:33 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 14280530)
Oasis at JFK. Dunno what the options are at FRA.

http://www.prioritypass.com/lounges/lounge-details.cfm

Airport: Frankfurt - International (FRA), Terminal 1
Lounge: AMERICAN AIRLINES ADMIRALS CLUB
Location: Landside - the Lounge is located on the Gallerie Level in Departure Hall B/C, next to the walking bridge to the Sheraton Hotel, before Security/Passport Control Checkpoint. Cardholders are required to ring the bell at the Lounge door for access. Opening Hours: 07:00 - 20:00 daily.
Conditions: All immediate family members can enter an American Airlines Admirals Club with the cardholder, but the number of persons who are not immediate family will be limited to two at any one visit - Non-smoking.

Lounge Information
Airport: Frankfurt - International (FRA), Terminal 2
Lounge: SKY-CLUB-LOUNGE
Location: Airside - Concourse D, 3rd Floor Transit Area, opposite Gate D8.
Opening Hours: 08:00 - 21:00 daily. Hours may vary according to flight schedules.
Conditions: Children under 2 years are admitted free - Non-smoking.
Additional Information: Shower facilities are subject to payment.

sbm12 Jul 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 14280544)
Airport: Frankfurt - International (FRA), Terminal 1
Lounge: AMERICAN AIRLINES ADMIRALS CLUB
Location: Landside - the Lounge is located on the Gallerie Level in Departure Hall B/C, next to the walking bridge to the Sheraton Hotel, before Security/Passport Control Checkpoint.

Airport: Frankfurt - International (FRA), Terminal 2
Lounge: SKY-CLUB-LOUNGE
Location: Airside - Concourse D, 3rd Floor Transit Area, opposite Gate D8.

Neither of those is at all convenient for a SQ arrival. If the passenger is connecting onward neither are real accessible. If arriving in FRA the AA lounge is accessible and not terribly located.

businesstraveller2 Jul 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Here is my experience with PPass. I have had one for two years now, starting summer 2008. The first year was great I got the ten-free visit membership level and used all free visits plus a couple of extra add-ons. Then came the DL-NW merger and they dropped the DL/NW lounges in the US and suddenly I found myself about half the time at a major airport and no lounge access. In the past year I have used only 7 of my 10 visits and I have paid extra for day passes at AA admiral's club, US airways club and others or otherwise just plopped myself down at an airside restaurant to have some place to sit and work in the terminal because of lack of lounge access. At LAX I'm often flying UA out of T7 and the Ppass is making me walk over to T6 to use the CO club
when there is a RCC right at T7. When I fly international I am almost always in business class which comes with complimentary lounge access. So I pretty much need the PPass for domestic US travel and it has been lacking in the 2009-2010 time period. For a while there was no lounge at Dulles, for example. Of course these were the times I was flying through Dulles. Now that I am UA PE I am thinking about switching over to a UA RCC membership especially since I may be able to purchase one with miles in another few weeks when my HH points clear my UA MP account. am curious to know more thoughts on the PPass for US Domestic lounges and what others who primarily use the pass in the US are planning to do.
The RCC membership now comes with complimentary lounge access to CO President's club and US Airways clubs so e.g. at LAX I would be covered for T1, T6, and T7 if I go with the RCC membership. The T1 coverage is nice if you are flying Southwest within the state of CA. I would only miss out on the Alaska Board Room the one or two times I might by chance be flying that airline. Looking back at the hubs I have connected through, the RCC card would give me access in CLT, IAD, ORD, and EWR because of the *A reciprocity.

I am wondering if there are others out there going through a similar set of decisions recently. Lounge access is pretty key for me based at LAX mainly because the terminals are so nasty, no airport wifi, no place to work, and with LA traffic I sometimes have to allow a bunch of time to get there and get through security thus increasing variability in wait time (not to mention airport delays).

denCSA Jul 13, 2010 9:07 am

Originally Posted by businesstraveller2 (Post 14289469)
Looking back at the hubs I have connected through, the RCC card would give me access in CLT, IAD, ORD, and EWR because of the *A reciprocity.

Just so you're aware, PPass added an RCC (but not all) at each of ORD and IAD, so you're covered there at least. LAX and EWR are still the CO Prez Club.

businesstraveller2 Jul 13, 2010 9:58 am

Here is a question. If I have RCC membership can I use the USAir club in T1 at LAX if I am flying Southwest? With PPass I can use it but I'm not sure about the reciprocity agreement between US and UA if I am not flying a *A carrier. T1 is basically southwest at US Air. I do fly southwest sometimes.

sbm12 Jul 13, 2010 10:56 am

Originally Posted by businesstraveller2 (Post 14292123)
Here is a question. If I have RCC membership can I use the USAir club in T1 at LAX if I am flying Southwest?

Yes, you can.

rsercely Jul 13, 2010 11:29 am

Personally, I use "SkyGuide" for lounge access. It is some kind of a tie into to Amex I believe

Cost is about $200/year.

But, they will refund (up to $50 per visit), 3 visits to any airline lounge, per month - so a possible $1800 deal! Yeah, the submitting of the receipts every month is a bit of a hastle., but...

Separately, you can also get similar rebates at health clubs.

businesstraveller2 Jul 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by rsercely (Post 14292741)
Personally, I use "SkyGuide" for lounge access. It is some kind of a tie into to Amex I believe

Cost is about $200/year.

But, they will refund (up to $50 per visit), 3 visits to any airline lounge, per month - so a possible $1800 deal! Yeah, the submitting of the receipts every month is a bit of a hastle., but...

I just found the website for this online. Had never heard of it before.

http://www.skyguideclub.com/shopping/partner.aspx?id=48

It's an interesting idea. The receipt handling however is a pain.

denCSA Jul 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Cost is about $200/year.

I used Skyguide for a year when I got an invitation from AMEX to sign up for $32. It was worth it since I had $500+ in lounge reimbursements, but submitting and keeping track of it all was a nightmare. Hopefully the program has gotten better because customer support was not very good when I was a member.

bk3day Jul 13, 2010 7:12 pm

iirc, from reading the following thread, the lounge benefit was recently reduced from 3 visits to only 1 visit/mo, though confirmation still seems iffy

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ge-club-2.html

Cost is about $200/year.

cjares Jul 13, 2010 9:48 pm

i am a member in this as a result of my new Hilton Honors Surpass AMEX. Does anyone know if I will get a separate set of literature on Priority pass, or do I just flash my Amex at the counter?

ptpinit Jul 21, 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by cjares (Post 14296139)
i am a member in this as a result of my new Hilton Honors Surpass AMEX. Does anyone know if I will get a separate set of literature on Priority pass, or do I just flash my Amex at the counter?

You should be receiving an envelope from Priority Pass with your membership card. I can't remember exactly how long after I enrolled with the HHonors Surpass AMEX before I got the Pass, but the Surpass website indicates 12-14 weeks after your first AMEX purchase. You'll need the Priority Pass card to enter the lounge, not your AMEX. The visit will then be billed to your AMEX.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...Honors-Surpass

jredknapp11 Jul 21, 2010 11:18 pm

Marriott has a special on membership.. do any of you come across lounges in the EU that have shower facilties. The list of lounges don't sound too promising for EU hubs.

Boraxo Jul 22, 2010 11:50 pm

IMO PPass is most useful for non-USA airports for those traveling economy class. In USA you are better off joining one of the major airline clubs assuming you have a preferred carrier.

Originally Posted by businesstraveller2 (Post 14289469)
When I fly international I am almost always in business class which comes with complimentary lounge access. So I pretty much need the PPass for domestic US travel and it has been lacking in the 2009-2010 time period. For a while there was no lounge at Dulles, for example. ***
The RCC membership now comes with complimentary lounge access to CO President's club and US Airways clubs so e.g. at LAX I would be covered for T1, T6, and T7 if I go with the RCC membership. The T1 coverage is nice if you are flying Southwest within the state of CA. I would only miss out on the Alaska Board Room the one or two times I might by chance be flying that airline. Looking back at the hubs I have connected through, the RCC card would give me access in CLT, IAD, ORD, and EWR because of the *A reciprocity.

I am wondering if there are others out there going through a similar set of decisions recently. Lounge access is pretty key for me based at LAX mainly because the terminals are so nasty, no airport wifi, no place to work, and with LA traffic I sometimes have to allow a bunch of time to get there and get through security thus increasing variability in wait time (not to mention airport delays).

I think as with everything it depends on your individual travel habits. Mine are somewhat similar to yours as I generally fly paid C international but domestic economy. PPass is mediocre at UA hubs and now CO as well. Also no good at LHR if you are flying BA. So I dropped PPass and am now considering AS BR's primarily because the SFO BR is convenient for WN, CO and AS flights. RCC is useless for this terminal as you don't want to have to go thru security twice. Similar issues at LAX as you note.

Have you considered the new CO (and UA) Chase cards that come with RCC/PC membership? The annual card fee is cheaper than buying club membership, plus you get the signup bonus miles and other benefits (e.g. free baggage on CO).

Wow - looks like a very useful program. Too bad it's tied to Amex ... http://amexsux.com

Originally Posted by jredknapp11 (Post 14344130)
Marriott has a special on membership.. do any of you come across lounges in the EU that have shower facilties. The list of lounges don't sound too promising for EU hubs.

Do tell, i haven't seen that announcement.

My personal peeve are the airports that lack any clubs like OAK and SJD. Usually these are the ones that are in most dire need of one! :mad: OGG is another that could use at least a UA club.

businesstraveller2 Jul 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 14350430)
Have you considered the new CO (and UA) Chase cards that come with RCC/PC membership? The annual card fee is cheaper than buying club membership, plus you get the signup bonus miles and other benefits (e.g. free baggage on CO).

Yes I have been considering it but I got a bit turned off by the report from out of the other FT posters about their experience getting it up and running and the fact that Chase is really in control of all your privileges. I can buy the RCC for $400 first year as 1P and then $350 thereafter. The yearly card fee is comparable. I also now have enough miles for RCC this year if I want to go that route. Am trying to decide before my next flight. I might just go with the miles since I have some long haul flights after that which will replenish my mileage plus acct.