Consolidated Thread: Priority Pass for Airport Lounges [through 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Thread: Priority Pass for Airport Lounges [through 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:39 am
MJJ

and ps - for those who say anyone so incredibly irresponsible/uncoordinated/absentminded gets what they deserve when they do not have a priority pass card on the top of their packing list, i cant help but think there's no surer way to tempt fate and find yourself without it the next time you travel. maybe then you will realize this rule was obviously not enacted for security reasons or to prevent unauthorized use (surely a govt issued ID is far better than a photo-less Priority Pass), but to prevent your use of what you paid for overall. This is just one way Priority Pass can keep the number of visits lower (and they number of visits they have to reimburse the lounges for), even though you already paid for the service. THAT is the type of company this is.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MJJ
as you can tell I am so insane!
Uh huh.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:54 am
MJJ

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Uh huh.
Please explain your view.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
your list of those that do not - "Delta/Northwest", American, British - are not on the PP list.
Originally Posted by MJJ
...whoever claimed British Airways and Delta/Northwest accept Priority Pass,...
I urge you to slow down and read more carefully before you post. JerryFF wrote that BA, DL and NW lounges do not participate in Priority Pass, and no one has posted otherwise.

You are correct that at one time all Delta lounges accepted Priority Pass, but after their merger with Northwest this ended. Does this reduce the appeal of Priority Pass? Yes. Is is deceptive? No, because Priority Pass notified all members well in advance. Priority Pass does not own or operate any lounges. If the lounge operator ends the contract there's nothing that can be done to force continued acceptance.

Priority Pass did not fraudulently charge your credit card. The lounge that you visited reported the transaction incorrectly. This is a mistake. The process for resolving it is to dispute the credit card charge and (perhaps) offer some evidence that you were travelling alone. Do everything is writing, no telephone calls.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:30 pm
MJJ

Point taken Mia, yes I mis-read earlier. But this does not change the fact that the number of domestic lounges (most-used) participating in the Priority Pass program is constantly decreasing. I do receive notices of changes in lounge participation, and there are always fewer and fewer domestic lounges. As a company they should be looking for ways to offset this decrease in value, but instead they are even more difficult to deal with! With regard to your second point, this WAS an unauthorized charge - statement of fact. The company who received the funds from this unauthorized charge was Priority Pass. As a matter of recourse, the company who benefited should be the one to fix the situation and provide a refund. The credit card company should NOT be the first line of defense, they had nothing to do with this except act as a payment network. The company who received the funds should be the one to fix it. And if anything, given that some credit card companies contract with Priority Pass and pay them to offer Priority Pass benefits to their clients, this should only make credit card companies even more adverse to this program!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:33 pm

IIRC Delta/NW left the program last year, so if you renewed/joined this year, it would have been under the new rules.

As Mia points out, there was a lot of communication on PPs part to notify everyone of the change.

I understand it is not useful for you so my advice is not to renew or ask for a proated refund.

Also, PP did not charge you for the guest the billed you (yes a technicality). The lounge in question authorized the change based on the paper you signed. Your beef is with them.

I have never seen PP not deliver on what their written rules are. If I go to a participating lounge and have my card, I get in.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:46 pm
MJJ

Mileshound, the idea of a prorated refund is TERRIFIC! Unfortunately I joined last year, so even that wouldnt be worth too much at this point, but a really great suggestion. I'm sure its no surprise that I would NOT renew, I wanted to share my experience so others who are considering the program are able to see the full range of testimonials.

Your comment on my beef being with the lounge, however, is completely incorrect. A mistake was made, that I can accept. But it was Priority Pass who could have and should have corrected it, and they refused. It's annoying enough for a company to make a mistake, but far worse than a company making a mistake is refusing to correct it. I dont understand how anyone thinks its acceptable for a company to refuse to return money they should never have taken.

Last edited by MJJ; Jul 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
I like my Priority Pass. I usually travel Economy Class so its nice being able to have lounge access almost every time I fly. It really depends where you fly to, that's the only thing you really need to consider. Based out of NY, the JFK T4 lounges are great since I can always get food in one of the three landside lounge options before I fly.

I fly alot internationally and there is Priority Pass in almost every airport I've been through in Asia. I don't see why lack of US carrier lounge participation is such a huge deal anyway. US carrier lounges are poor compared to international lounges. No hot food, no free alcohol (except CO & DL), no free wifi. These things are standard in international or private owned lounges in the US. If there is a choice between a US carrier lounge and a private owned lounge, I always choose private. So the fact that there aren't alot of US carrier lounges in Priority Pass is no big deal for me since I don't like those lounges anyway.

My Priority Pass lounge experience is more good than bad. Just two months ago I happened upon the Coral Executive Lounge in Phuket and I thought it was great for a Priority Pass lounge.
There's a large lounge in DFW that was pretty nice. I think its called The Club at DFW.
The Plaza Premium Lounge in YYZ was pretty good also.
I always use the international Red Carpet Club when stopping over in SFO. I normally don't like Red Carpet Clubs that much but this one is decent.
And I usually stop for a free ice cold beer poured by the beer robots in the KAL Lounge in NRT T1.

The easiest way to see if Priority Pass is right for you, instead of listening to ranting members who have had a bad experience, is just see what airports you frequently fly to or stop through and whether there are Priority Pass lounges there.
I'm happy to have the lounge access through my Priority Pass, it gives me the nice experience of a lounge (quiet, nice chairs, internet, food, alcohol, etc.) without having to fly business or first. It makes the whole stressful airport experience, even when flying in the back of the plane, less stressful.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:09 pm
MJJ

Definitely, and for your sake, hopefully the lounges that you are basing your membership on dont magically "end their contract" (as discussed above, happens more than it should have), they return money back to you when they incorrectly take it from you in the first place, and you have your priority pass permanently glued into your wallet that will never ever be separated from you!

Does anyone know if the amex platinum allows you into private international lounges? Since its only marginally more than a priority pass, it seems thats the far better way to go, and you get the amex concierge as well. and you can bring in 3 guests for free as well, right?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
With AMEX Platinum you are offered a complimentary Priority Pass membership. You just need to register for it.

I personally prefer the LH lounges over the Priority Pass lounges, though they appear to be the same longes at some airports. However it is a nice option whenever no LH lounge is avaiable - and it is free as AMEX Platinum holder. At least a much better option than sitting in the terminal.

I can not speak about US domestic travel as I am doing most of the time international traveling (My homebase is FRA), but you should consider that the world does not end outside of the US. Also in the few US airports I have been, I always found a Priority lounge and I am certain you are also able to find one in most cases. It might not be of the quality you desire, but then what do you expect for 300$ while other travelers do have to spend much more money to maintain their status and to get lounge access.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Priority Pass is not a benefit of AMEX Platinum for U.S. cardholders. Instead, we have the Platinum Airport Club Access Program, providing complimentary access to AA Admirals Clubs, CO Presidents Clubs, and DL Sky Clubs on day of travel with ticket on participating airline.

I use Priority Pass in U.S. all the time. Its utility depends on your travel patterns. While flying SW in and out of SNA, I can use UA Red Carpet Club. Used Alaska Board Room at PDX last week. It can be a nice partner to the AMEX Platinum program.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:23 am
MJJ

thats really helpful, getoffthegrid. does the Platinum Airport Club Access Program also provide access to international lounges? priority pass obviously does NOT work for me in any shape or form, and having the access to AA/DL lounges would be really great (east coast). If they also provide access to intl lounges (I think BA takes that, right?) then this would actually be worth the platinum annual fee, unlike priority pass for me. and also since when i travel internationally many times its with a companion, the Platinum Airport Club Access Program allows to bring in guests, right?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MJJ
...they wanted the credit card company to eat the charge...
No, the credit card issuer would "chargeback" the transaction to Priority Pass and probably issue a temporary credit to your account. After an investigation the card issuer would either make the credit permanent or they would reinstate the charge.

Originally Posted by MJJ
...does the Platinum Airport Club Access Program also provide access to international lounges?
No. USA-issued American Express Platinum cards are valid only at AA, CO and DL lounges and only when flying on the same airline as operates the lounge.

Most European airlines, including BA, reserve their lounges for premium class passengers and holders of elite status in their frequent flyer program (with reciprocal benefits for elite status holders in the same alliance.) They don't sell memberships or day passes and they don't participate in program like Priority Pass, American Express or Diners Club.

At many UK airports there is a generic lounge operated by (for example) Servisair, and many of these lounges do accept Priority Pass...

http://www.servisair.com/

However, to my knowledge there is no lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5 other than those operated by BA, and to my knowledge there is no way to purchase entrance to those lounges. See here:

You can enjoy access to the comfort and facilities of over 60 dedicated British Airways lounges, and through our partners at over 90 additional lounges worldwide if you are:

flying with British Airways in First, Club World or Club Europe
a Silver or Gold member of the British Airways Executive Club

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:34 am

Best Lounge at JFK Terminal 4/Frankfurt Terminal 1

I have just signed on with Priority Pass and am looking forward to having lounge access. My next flight is on Singapore Airlines JFK (Terminal 4) to Frankfurt (Terminal 1). I notice there are several lounges to pick from. Any suggestions on which would be best would be apprecitated.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyer0409
I have just signed on with Priority Pass and am looking forward to having lounge access. My next flight is on Singapore Airlines JFK (Terminal 4) to Frankfurt (Terminal 1). I notice there are several lounges to pick from. Any suggestions on which would be best would be apprecitated.
Oasis at JFK. Dunno what the options are at FRA.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 11, 2010 at 12:01 pm Reason: added link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.