Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airplane Graveyard near Victorville, CA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Airplane Graveyard near Victorville, CA

Has anyone ever visited the Airplane Graveyard near Victorville? I'm curious to go see it since there are apparently a lot more semi-retired airplanes since 9/11 there.

Looks like I found directions:http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...actionNo==8622 I think it would be real cool, if the wind wouldn't be kicking up.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
www.airliners.net is loaded with pictures from that facility, so it looks like you can at least get close to the planes (unless all the pics are taken by staffers or folks with really telephoto lenses).
Old Dec 25, 2004, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

It doesn't look like you can get as close as I would hope since it's on a AFB. Its probably the closest the general public can get to such aircraft.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 2:55 pm

Mojave Airport

You might be thinking of Mojave Airport. Here's the official website: Mojave Airport

For security reasons (blah blah blah LOL) you're not allowed to get "up close and personal" with the planes.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

According to Airlines.net, there is one at George AFB which is just outside Victorville. Looks like this one is another one in the same area.

A friend took a screen shot of George AFB with Keyhole and here it is: www.cyben.org/graveyard.jpg - He said across the road there are even more.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
www.airliners.net is loaded with pictures from that facility, so it looks like you can at least get close to the planes (unless all the pics are taken by staffers or folks with really telephoto lenses).
I like how they have those snowflakes in the background of that page.
----
Save some money, get some deals: http://www.dealtaker.com
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are two of these in California, one at Mojave (which we will be passing by on Monday) and another at Victorville. Apparently there is also a third one in Arizona.

You can see most all the planes at Mojave since it's flat, open desert with state highways around it on two sides.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:01 am

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I noticed a lot of planes parked at Victorville had the United logo on them. They have on-site security based in the building housing the FBO. Although VCV is a public-use airport, I imagine they wouldn't be happy with people wandering around. Incidentally, the federal prison in Victorville is where they're housing the, "American Taliban" prisoner. Had I known at the time I would've taken a picture of the prison

For sites in Arizona check-out Cactus Wings
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Would like to visit

Is it possible to "tour" this place? Or is it off limits for visitors? It would be great to go see it.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
There is one at the Goodyear Arizona airport west of Phoenix. The Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds spring training site is located adjacent to the airport and you can see lots of airplanes right next door. There is a fence on one of the Reds practice fields and airplanes are parked on the other side about 1000 feet away. Not sure if they have tours.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Is it possible to "tour" this place? Or is it off limits for visitors? It would be great to go see it.
The term graveyard is a misnomer. This is a storage facility with billions of dollars of airline property being stored there. It is not an amusement park. There are no tours.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
You can "tour" this place unless you are a buyer.

Definately off limits for visitors.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 4:50 am

There is another one- Marana in Arizona. Half of it is filled with former NWA metal though.

As for the photos most of them were taken from Cessna with super telel lenses- not cheap!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
The storage facilities in the SW are:
1. Victorville Ca. Once an AFB now a civilian airport, although there is an Air Mobility Command station there which sees occasional trooping flights. There are no tours, although the authorities don't seem to mind "spotters" peering through the fence. Most of the stored (UA/DL) planes are a long way away.

2. Mojave Ca. The major operators moved to Victorville some years ago but still some planes here. It may be possible to get one of the line guys (fuellers) to drive you round for a small fee -$10- if they are not busy. You can't get out of the van though.

3. Kingman Az. Used to be very open, you could drive round by yourself !, but that all stopped when scheduled air service began. Like Mojave you may be able to get someone to drive you round. No guarantee of course, but the stored planes are much closer to the fence than 1&2.

4. Goodyear Az. Smaller facility, not many left in storage. No chance of entry unless you know someone on the inside. Some reports of visitors being told to leave the airport altogether (it's private). Everything can be seen reasonably well from public roads however.

5. Pinal/Marana Az. The big one. Tight security, a casual visitor won't even get past the security post which is a long way from the planes. It's a public-use airport though so, as mentioned, a lot of spotters get a sightseeing flight from Tucson - the operators there are quite used to such requests.

6. AMARC/Davis Monthan . Just outside Tucson this is the USAF storage & refurbishment facility. Bus tours are available from the nearby Pima Aviation Museum.

7. For completeness although a bit distant there's also Roswell NM. Yes, that Roswell. I don't know the current situation there not having been for many years.

There's a yahoo group where you might get some more detailed answers:
http://groups.google.com/group/cactus-wings/topics

Last edited by Wally Bird; Aug 30, 2010 at 7:36 am
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
I imagine if you had a couple of hours to spend in the local watering hole you could get to know somebody who could give you the Cook's tour or tell you who does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.