Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airplane Graveyard near Victorville, CA

Airplane Graveyard near Victorville, CA

Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Just looked at the Mojave Air and Space Port (sounds so official!) site and, while they do give unscheduled paid bus tours, note that there are no cameras allowed on the bus, so no chance of snapping any shots.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Been to ROW (Roswell) in a private plane. Got a "tour" of part of the place with the taxi instructions issued by tower. Have pictures somewhere of old SF3's, DC-10's, Sweringens, L10's, 74's, the odd 707, and a bunch of other airplanes.

ROW's a lot easier than some because it's an operating civilian airfield - go in with a private pilot in their plane sometime.

I think some of the aircraft have been parted out, but last time I was through there (a couple of years ago) there were lots of planes....

Do a satellite map w/Google Maps of KROW.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: miles & more
Hi,
Has anyone an idea how I could get in touch with the VICTORVILLE "graveyard".....??

Any help would be very welcome
Old May 6, 2014, 2:45 am

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Originally Posted by EL-AL 1971
Hi,
Has anyone an idea how I could get in touch with the VICTORVILLE "graveyard".....??

You could start with these people: http://www.millionair.com/FBO/vcv.aspx
Old May 6, 2014, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is a thread around here somewhere of a bunch of people getting through the fence at night (daytime even?) and doing some urban exploring on planes. They posted shots of themselves on an old BA 747, for example. Someone with more time on their hands can probably find the posts.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by EL-AL 1971
Hi,

I know it is late, but I just did a paid bus tour for Victorville boneyard, it was organized by Airliners International 2014 LAX (if you are like me that collect airline stuff, you would have known about this, Airliners International goes to different cities every year once a year, so it won't happen again anytime soon in LAX)

The bus tour was $104 (registration for the show + the tour, in order to do the tour, everyone must registered for the show), it was available July 8,9,10, I took the tour on the 10th, which was available til the day it starts ! Only the tour on the 9th was sold out. It took 2 hours to get there from LAX. The facility guide did say there are restrictions on photos, but many of us that sat in the back of the bus still taking photos nonstop, no one really say it is completely off limit. The only opportunity that are available to take photos "officially" is one of the ex-QF 744 VH-OJO, which we can get inside the plane, taking photos everywhere inside including the cockpit and crew bunks.

The tour had quite many plane spotters from all over the world including Germany, Hong Kong, and Sydney Australia. Not sure if you had taken this chance already to go in Victorville.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Viewing from public roads

I made my first trip to VCV this past weekend, and I've got to bump this thread to seek answers on a few questions. I was there on a Sunday so it was very easy to drive through the parking lots of the Southern California logistics facility and peer through the fence. Some of the planes going into paint were so close I felt like I could reach out and touch them.

I drove through the parking lots and then left on Perimeter Rd, driving up past the power plant to where the road is fenced and no longer accessible to the public. I poked my lens through the fence again but was still very far from the big parking lot of planes on the North end of the field.

I tried to get closer to the North end by taking Adelanto road to Colusa to Helendale but Adelanto turns into dirt and I did not have the vehicle for the job. Has anyone ever driven behind the North end of VCV? I assume the road remains unpaved and public but I can't imagine it won't attract possible unwanted attention. Any insight would be appreciated. I am planning on going back in September prepared to off road it as needed to get some more great photos.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Here is a list of boneyards and how to arrange tours.

http://www.airplaneboneyards.com/air...st-and-map.htm
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Here is a list of boneyards and how to arrange tours.

http://www.airplaneboneyards.com/air...st-and-map.htm
Ummmmm ya, I googled that too. The only boneyard that gives any access to the public is the PIMA museum. I am asking if anyone has had recent experience on the public roads behind VCV.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Ummmmm ya, I googled that too. The only boneyard that gives any access to the public is the PIMA museum. I am asking if anyone has had recent experience on the public roads behind VCV.
If you go to Marana-Pinal Air Park during regular business hours, there's a county employee that's willing to drive you around the airport and give you a tour.

You can actually get pretty close to the planes at Marana-Pinal, just not up close to them on the tarmac. You're not going to find that anywhere.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:00 pm

I am thinking of driving from San Diego to VCV to photograph some planes this weekend. I'll be outside the fence, but am renting a pick-up so I can drive around the whole thing if anyone wants to join PM me.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:05 am

I went and photographed the Victorville boneyard this past weekend. Check out the Flickr Album and enjoy.

Please note all photos were taken from outside the fence.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I went and photographed the Victorville boneyard this past weekend. Check out the Flickr Album and enjoy.
cool pix ... I recognized a pair of old Delta birds from my log: 763 N134DL (Sep 91, ATL-SEA; original international config with 24 nice leather F seats) and L10 N720DA (Sep 93 SEA-ATL, my son's first flight on a wide-body jet; Nov 95, SEA-ATL, my last flight on a -1 TriStar)
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
cool pix ... I recognized a pair of old Delta birds from my log: 763 N134DL (Sep 91, ATL-SEA; original international config with 24 nice leather F seats) and L10 N720DA (Sep 93 SEA-ATL, my son's first flight on a wide-body jet; Nov 95, SEA-ATL, my last flight on a -1 TriStar)
That is really cool ^. I looked up a bunch of tail numbers while I was there but didn't find any I had flown.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:05 pm

Please note all photos were taken from outside the fence.
That's so cool! Did you have to do any planning with anyone working? Or just walk along the fence? I'm only a few hours from there and always wanted to go take a look.

Edit: And did you have any issues with security guards giving you issues, even from outside of the fence? I've known more than a few that take their job, uh.. "extra seriously"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.