FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Signs you travel too much. [Archived] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/370953-signs-you-travel-too-much-archived.html)

ShopAround Jul 3, 2014 2:27 pm

You go to open your door to hang out the Do Not Disturb sign and as you're about to do it, you realize... you're home. Housekeeping will not be knocking.

(This actually happened to me after a five hotel trip.)

drvannostren Jul 3, 2014 3:43 pm

Oh man....after like 5 pages of reading, this thread has me so jealous haha. Watching "Up in the Air" is pretty much EXACTLY what I want my life to be, at least for a few years. When you have no family and no real need to be "home" why be there? Sure I have parents and friends, soccer/hockey tickets I like to use, but ultimately I'd be just as happy flying to a from all the time.

I only travel to get to/from the work site now, I'd love work to be the reason I travel, not just cuz my job is based outside of where I live.

Worst part about that movie is I would hate his job, but something else with the same setup? Sign me up.

tentseller Jul 3, 2014 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ShopAround (Post 23139016)
You go to open your door to hang out the Do Not Disturb sign and as you're about to do it, you realize... you're home. Housekeeping will not be knocking.

(This actually happened to me after a five hotel trip.)

I remember DW having to do that on our bedroom door Saturday morning after late arrival home the night before.
Kids were great, they know I am more fun the rest of the weekend with a fully charged battery.

CitizenWorld Jul 4, 2014 11:40 pm

This one just happened.

When you're parents are about to go on vacation and they rock up to your house to browse luggage options rather than the department store.

...They also made off with a bunch of my Red Oxx gear.

Silver Fox Jul 4, 2014 11:44 pm

In the UK, car number plates are mostly LLNN LLL (where L = letter, N = number), and when you start seeing airport codes in the LLL position, eg. JFK, LHR, etc. and wondering if NXF is an airport somewhere. And blow me sideways! Using the power of the google I find that it is: Mcolf Camp Pendleton (Red Beach) Airport.

I'll get my anorak !

avsfan733 Jul 5, 2014 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 23145840)
...And blow me sideways! Using the power of the google I find that it is: Mcolf Camp Pendleton (Red Beach) Airport.

So I have been off the road for about a year now but this kicked me in the butt to login again...

There is a thread somewhere on FT about airports that no other flyertalk has flown into and I think I finally have one...I have actually flown into and out of 'NXF' (although I didn't know it had a ICAO designation) while I was doing some prove out work for the DOD. Probably up there on the most picturesque places I have landed although there was definitely no PDB and our lounge was made of canvas.

exilencfc Jul 6, 2014 11:43 am

I think this is a case of too much flyertalk rather than too much travel but...

Colleague A tells you Colleague B will be away for three weeks because he's going home to Nepal.

You curse Colleague B but then conceed that Nepal is rather a long way from England and really a bit far to go for the weekend.

Colleague A suggests that you would go to Nepal for the weekend given a chance.

You are forced to agree.

WChou Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Goto a vending machine, pull out the wallet, and find,
Euros
British Pounds
Japanese Yen
Chinese Yuan
Hong Kong Dollars
Canadian Dollars
Indian Rupees
Brazilian Reals
Mexican Pesos
Guatemalan Quetzals
Nigerian Nairas
Saudi Riyals
Emirati Dirhams

and no US dollars.

AA_EXP09 Jul 11, 2014 9:40 am

Originally Posted by WChou (Post 23175958)
Euros
British Pounds
Japanese Yen
Chinese Yuan
Hong Kong Dollars
Canadian Dollars
Indian Rupees
Brazilian Reals
Mexican Pesos
Guatemalan Quetzals
Nigerian Nairas
Saudi Riyals
Emirati Dirhams

and no US dollars.

but most likely a credit card is still there :D
(and many machines both in the USA and overseas accept credit cards.)

onobond Jul 12, 2014 1:37 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 23180643)

Originally Posted by WChou (Post 23175958)
Euros
British Pounds
Japanese Yen
Chinese Yuan
Hong Kong Dollars
Canadian Dollars
Indian Rupees
Brazilian Reals
Mexican Pesos
Guatemalan Quetzals
Nigerian Nairas
Saudi Riyals
Emirati Dirhams

and no US dollars.

Touché ! :)

SuperFlyBoy Jul 12, 2014 1:43 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 23180643)

Have had the same experience returning home to the US - found myself in a parking garage (without credit card payment possibilities) with only foreign currency in my wallet - try paying the cash-only fee with Euros, INR, or any other currency! :p

infoworks Jul 12, 2014 1:46 am

These stories remind me of a couple of a year ago, my partner picked me up at ORD (as regularly usual) but we got to the toll and she didn't have the necessary coins. Of course, I did!

PirateJeff Jul 14, 2014 5:22 am

When a CBP officer stops you in the jet bridge and asks your city of origin and you reply, "uh I don't know" and start guessing a few cities it could have been.

hawkxp Jul 14, 2014 10:54 pm

When I realized I used the bathrooms at the United Clubs more then I did mine at home.

Doc Savage Jul 14, 2014 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by hawkxp (Post 23197218)
When I realized I used the bathrooms at the United Clubs more then I did mine at home.

Yeah, great food, that...;)