Reload this Page >

Signs you travel too much. [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signs you travel too much. [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2004, 1:07 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Very nice Spotwelder.

You wrack up enough miles and bonus miles in one month for five RTWs in coach. <-- Must have been a busy month, how many nights did you spend on airplanes in this month?

You get arrested for smuggling firearms and throw into jail in Africa because you look like you may have a few dollars on you.

An exit visa from a country consists of a passport, the paper from entry, your broken watch and a photocopied $50 note.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
* you do more shopping on the road than at home; a real pain if you want to return something

* in my wife's shoe "closet" (hope she doesn't read this thread ) I have stashed more first/business amenity kits than she has shoes

* You spend more time on FT than listening to local news at home

* you know how to navigate LHR, FRA, and the other 'complex' airports better than you know the streets in your neighborhood...and I live in a town of 50,000...

* you see some poor soul navigating TSA/security for the 1st time (or just not so adeptly) and think 'amateur'
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:57 pm

You wake up in a hotel room and turn on the weather to see a map and have no idea which area is relevant to where you are.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:30 am

Programs: WWMFD
You dial "9" to get an outside line from your home.

The neighbors on your block refer to you as the "new neighbor" because they've only seen you five times in-person over the past four years.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
When.....

You fly in and meet your wife at the airport on Saturday afternoon, repack your bag in the parking lot with the clean clothes she brought you, and have a cocktail (pre 9/11) in the Crown/President/Red Carpet.... room before catching your next flight. Wife remarks on way out that room should have bed, as even convicted felons get conjugal visits.

You are home for a week, and have so totally disrupted the family routine by Tuesday, your wife looks at the travel schedule on the refrigerator to see when you are leaving, and things can go back to normal.

Your response to someone's (who flies 1-2 times a year)comment at a cocktail party about the glamour of an air traveling job has metamorphasized over the last 25 years from "Oh yeah" to "Not really" to "It's a pain" to "What glamour?" to "You are so right!" (change subject).

Your response to any comment regarding the # of miles flown and/or # of miles in your account has metamorphasized over the last 25 years from "I've got almost 30k with...... to "about 150k with .... and 75k with.... to "Around a million." to "Gee, you'll have to check with Mrs. Dallas49er. I just fly 'em. She's in charge of Miles Management".

You can't go to sleep without the dulcet tones of Dave Schwartz of the Weather Channel in the background.

You realize that you have been to just about every large and medium size city in the U.S. many times, and you still have no idea what many of them look like in the daytime.

You realize that with the return to standard time at the end of October, there is not much possibility of seeing sunshine during the week for about 3-4 months.

Your regular Saturday golf game is 7 other guys you met on airplanes, and not around the club.

You recognize the airport, terminal, and gate when there are airport scenes in movies and on TV.

You have relatives you met once, 7 years ago at a family reunion, TRY to go to the frequent flyer bank (yours)for a family trip for 6 First class, to Hawaii, at Christmas. When politely refused, indignant response "You'll never miss them and you'll replace them in 6 months anyway".

Last edited by Dallas49er; Nov 22, 2004 at 10:02 am
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:13 am

When

You are a walking "Zagat's" for just about every major city in the country, and can give 3-5 recommendations for each, based on type of food, service, and price. In some cases you are even able to call ahead and make reservations in another city with the maitre'd of a totally booked out restaurant for a friend. The number is on your speed dial.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:25 am

I guess the following one shows both that you travel too much and that you have a mileage addiction:

You worry that you will be unable to find time for mileage runs this year since you have too many business trips planned.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:14 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by Deimos
You worry that you will be unable to find time for mileage runs this year since you have too many business trips planned.
I think we have a winner...
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:35 pm

post withdrawn 404 not found

Last edited by everywhere; Feb 13, 2005 at 10:55 pm
Old Nov 23, 2004, 12:10 am

When

you buy clothing based on whether or not it is wrinkle-resistant and drip-dry, and buy shoes and belts based on whether or not they will set off the metal detectors at airport security
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:21 am

When...

you use a limo service to and from the airport, because you can never remember where you left your car. (Tried writing location on ticket and taking with-many hefty lost ticket charges)

you fly from home, and everyone from gate agent to rental agent is someone you have talked to before.

you have to schedule yourself in the middle of a 2 week trip to be in the same hotel for 2 nights just to get your laundry done.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Most of your knowledge/small-talk comes from the airline magazine.

Way too many conversations start out "I read in American Way..."
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
How about these (all have happened to me)

You know you travel to much...

When your luggage gets lost, takes a day to reach you and you meet the luggage porter in your driveway as you are putting your other luggage into your car to head back to the airport.

When you bump into a former co-worker in a restaurant in another city, hundreds of miles from home, and then bump into the same person in a different restaurant in a different city a month later. (weird!!!)

When you wake up to go to the bathroom at home and walk into the closet (thankfully I was awake enough to realize my error.)

When waitresses at restaurants remember you even when you live thousands of miles away.

When you schedule back to backs to get a better fare, and still use all the flights

When you know the schedule of available flights to the exact minute.

When you know the street shortcuts in other states and cities

When you stop counting how many days you are out of the office in favor of how many days you are actually in.

When you get upgraded to first so often, that when you see someone you know (In my case it was my old boss) in coach, you feel a little bit of guilt and have them upgraded as well

And the funniest I've heard from a well traveled co-worker: Had dinner with my son and daughter last night and my son called me "uncle...er, dad".
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:56 am

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
When friends you see on a regular basis ask "So where have you been now?" instead of saying hello upon meeting.
Every week I get a call from our administrative assistant: "Where will you be next week?" I told her I would be in the office all week, and she didn't know what to put down on the schedule.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:11 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by drtravix
When it becomes habit to give your phone number starting with the international code, even when you are ordering a pizza in your home city.
I started to develop this habit this year! I also asked my IT department if we could add +1 to the front of all the US phone numbers in our corporate address book, so after synching to my cellphone, I could dial from my directory.

I also knew I was travelling too much when I would go out with my friends and they would say "Oh, look, Rob's visiting L.A. this weekend!" I knew I was travelling waaay too much when it stopped being a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.