FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What's the rush to board the plane? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/369611-whats-rush-board-plane.html)

doglover Nov 7, 2004 2:53 pm

I want my carry-ons near me -- never behind me. It is a pain to go *backwards* to retrieve your bag.

Those who get on first also get dibs on :

Magazines
Pillows
Drinks (In first)

Plus FC seats are always more comfortable than the seats in the terminal. I like to get on board... settle in with a drink my book (or newspaper) slip on my noisebusting headphones and relax.

Athena53 Nov 7, 2004 2:57 pm

My carry-on stuff is usually limited to a backpack containing my laptop, which can be stuffed anywhere because I keep the laptop with me, and a tote bag that goes under the seat in front of me- so snagging a lot of overhead space isn't the priortity. For me, it's the advice my Dad the 1960s Frequent Flyer told me: you don't have a confirmed seat until you're sitting in it.

KathyWdrf Nov 7, 2004 5:29 pm

I do carry-on only -- I only check bags when forced to (for example, on intra-Europe flights where the carry-on limit is only a few kg.). So getting overhead space above my seat is important, as I need both that and the underseat space.

Also, I nearly always have a window seat, so I prefer to board early and not have someone in my way when I'm stowing my luggage overhead and getting into my seat. Alas, even though I usually do board very early, quite often the turkey in the aisle seat is already there before me, comfortably esconced in his seat! :( :D

richard Nov 7, 2004 6:42 pm

I used to fly Midwest Express which was 2 X 2 all the way, in other words, more bin space for fewer pax. There was never a rush to board. So I think this speaks for itself...the rush is for overhead space.

dchristiva Nov 8, 2004 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
I think a lot of it is psychological, too. The gate area is shared space for everyone. In your "own" seat, you're in your "own" space. People want that. While the privacy and ownership are more an illusion than real, perception is everything.

The other points raised have some validity, but since people with no carry-ons or heavy clothing seem to be as compelled to board quickly as those who have an objective need for overhead space, and most people aren't too concerned about someone else being in their assigned seat, they can't be the whole story.

Aside from the need/desire for overhead storage space, this is my take on the question, too. Until I'm actually on the plane and in my seat, I'm not as relaxed a traveler as I probably should be. Somehow the "comfort" and "security" (not meant literally) of my seat allows me to calm down and settle in for my flight. I'm often sound asleep before the plane is even in the air (not to say that, if I have an aisle or middle seat, that I don't remain awake to ensure that my fellow passengers can get to their seats).

Somehow I find being in my seat very relaxing, as at that point I have no worries (not missing my alarm for an early morning flight, not hitting unexpected traffic on the way to the airport, not being able to find a parking space at the airport, having to go through security, all the other "little" things that accompany air travel) as everything's behind me and now I have the flight time to myself to sleep, read, do work, whatever. I guess I find the flight time as the only time that's really "mine" - I can't be reached by cell phone, don't have to worry about e-mail, etc. (Yes, I know this may be changing if cell phone usage is allowed during flight).

Anyway, I just like getting to my seat as soon as I can to "settle in" for my flight, especially in first or business class.

last2board Nov 8, 2004 10:33 am

No rush for me!

I carry on very little. I don't like standing in the jet bridge waiting to board or standing in the aisles while everyone stows their personal mountain of c##p. I like aisle seats, but I hate being jostled by people carrying afore-mentioned mountain through the aisles. I don't board with my fellow elites because it adds about 20 minutes extra sitting time. If I am carrying something large, the FA's are very helpful at getting it stowed so they can get the bins closed. Often someone is sitting in my reserved seat, but they scurry away when realize it is rightfully mine. Sometimes when I come on last, I find an entire empty row in E+. You may call me last2board. :D

scirel Nov 8, 2004 10:48 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I think the assigned seating rush has more to do with mob mentality than it does a conscious decision to get on early for prime overhead bin space. Yeah, that might be a little bit of it, but I see just as many people with small carryons or no carryons bum-rushing the gates as I do people trying to carry on the kitchen sink. You're sitting there in the gate area, they call Group 1, everybody around you gets up and starts moving, so you do too. We aren't much different from cattle in that respect. :) I'm guilty of it even when I have a Group 1 card. They make the preboard call, and my inner cow says "Get up there and be FIRST in your group!" No threat at all re: the carryon - it's a purely a mob thing.

I tend to agree with this. Some folks have ulterior motives such as overhead space or getting to their seats in case of a double booking. But in my experience, most flyers aren't savvy enough to even consider those problems. They just want to go first because it's first, before everyone else -- it's a psychological thing.

eefor jfp Nov 8, 2004 5:04 pm

I think one exception to this rule of wanting to be first on board is when you're in first or biz on a transoceanic flight. Bin space is protected and the lounge is usually even nicer than the plane, plus you don't have to stand in the jetway or in the boarding area waiting for them to call the flight. Most people wait until last call and then saunter on board. Pre flight drinks are served at pushback not during boarding, so it's all so much more relaxing to wait.

CPRich Nov 8, 2004 7:43 pm

Overhead space is about my only reason. When I'm on an RJ, they usually close the door right behind me.

tommya Nov 8, 2004 7:56 pm

Less time sitting in the plane the better for me - back gets sore after sitting for a long time. I will take my chances with overhead storage once I get on the plane.

RobotDoctor Nov 8, 2004 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I have often thought about this myself and have come to the conclusion that it is mostly motivated by need to overhead storage space. Of course, it gets worst in the winter months with the heavy winter coats and Christmas presents.

I agree with MA here. I love to have my overhead storage as I have a rolling computer case and a smaller computer case (where my computer resides). I want a little leg room so the overhead storage is a must.

stimpy Nov 8, 2004 10:43 pm

Europe is a bit different on this subject for several reasons.

1. We usually take buses from the gate to the plane. So who cares if you are first on the bus? In fact, I prefer to be last on the bus rather than sitting out on the tarmac in the hot summer sun or cold winter for 15 minutes. And last on the bus can often mean first on the plane.

2. I think it is a historical and cultural issue especially in southern Europe that people rush to get a seat first. Going back in time when we didn't have assigned seating on boats and trains, etc., it was first come first served. And that mentality prevails today. So you have a big rush up, especially in Italy, to get on first. I don't think they give a thought about overhead space, rather they will subconsciously be more comfortable knowing they have a seat.

3. I often fly RJ's in Europe where my larger bag will get checked at the plane. So I don't care about overhead space and thus I endeavor to be the last on board. On board the RJ, I have no elbow space and I can't make phone calls. Why would I want to rush to get on board for that?

drtravix Nov 9, 2004 12:16 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
2. I think it is a historical and cultural issue especially in southern Europe that people rush to get a seat first.

A little OT, but in my experiences in Europe a few years ago (a majority in Spain), people were pulling their things from the overhead bins about 10 seconds after the plane touched the ground after landing. Not sure if it's a cultural difference as well, but I was always amazed, as that would never fly in the US.

Wheels_Up Nov 9, 2004 1:34 am

When Did This Mad-Dash Begin?

I don't remember an interim period between civility (what the boarding process was like) and being rude. Any idea?

stimpy Nov 9, 2004 3:51 am

Originally Posted by drtravix
A little OT, but in my experiences in Europe a few years ago (a majority in Spain), people were pulling their things from the overhead bins about 10 seconds after the plane touched the ground after landing. Not sure if it's a cultural difference as well, but I was always amazed, as that would never fly in the US.

Yes it is a cultural thing in most parts of the world outside of the US. In general, it comes down to respect for the FA's. I personally know that I can safely get up and move around during taxi, however I respect the job the FA's have to do to keep control of the cabin. So I stay in my seat. In other cultures you don't have that respect. This used to be true in the US too. It wasn't until after womens lib that FA's really started to assert themselves in the US. Not cooincidently that's when FA's stopped calling themselves Stewardesses. ;)