Reload this Page >

High Travel Jobs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High Travel Jobs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 5:00 pm

I am in a similar situation. I have a BS in Economics and am currently awaiting a possible offer with Northwest Administrators for an entry-level Auditor position. The pay is ok, but I do not know how the travel expenses will be handled by the company.
I have other oars in the water with companies involving no travel and higher salary offers. These companies will suggest relocation for further opportunities with them.
I love to travel. I get bored easily and love to experience new things and see new places. I traveled cheaply for months on a company internship all around India, living out of a suitcase, and loving it. This gives me the idea that I may enjoy travel for work.

I've read the forums and have benefited from all the advise.
For those of you that have done something similar to me, given my options, what would the pros and cons be of traveling for work versus working to travel on vacation?

The money thing is also something to consider. The trouble is, it is hard to speculate without havig traveled for work in the US before!!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Jobs that require travel are not typically 9-5 type of operations. The company is paying for you to be there and they expect a lot of effort out of you to justify the expense.

Consulting firm, in particular, work this way. Yes, you'll see the world (sometimes, depends on the firm, more likely you'll see the USA), but it won't be because you're off galavanting around the city. It'll be in cabs to and from airports and hotels. The rest of the time you'll be in some office.

So think about the lifestyle you want to have in terms of your work hours first. That would be my suggestion.
Yes, also, as a newbie one would likely get a lot of the routine work of the team handed over for finishing. Meaning working also on planes and in lounges etc. instead of enjoying the leisurely angle of travel.

Another aspect is that biz travel is expected to bring results that justify the costs. And as a new employee can hardly deliver a high return right away, the allowances and travel budget are normally also not that high. Think low cost carriers, cheap, inflexible tickets, lower end hotels.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I work for a Big 4 accounting firm as an auditor, and I asked for "travel, travel, travel." (That is the FT mantra, isn't it?) Anyways, I quickly found that just being an auditor doesn't guarantee you travel; rather, it's the clients you are assigned to. I got assigned a client with ZERO travel.

Mind you, I was pretty bummed at first, but I realize that it was for the best. I've been able to develop some great friendships that would have otherwise not been possible had I been on the road like I had originally hoped.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:57 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, OnePass
To the OP: Another job to consider that offers a lot of travel is a college admissions officer...
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:35 am

Programs: ba miles
I only travel about 4 times a year for work, however, it is hard work, you are expected to bring home new work, you miss your family etc

But, it is nice to able to travel with your company paying the bill, and I can go shopping without my other half nagging me!

Good Luck and please let us know what job you get
Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: DL GE
This thread is almost 4 years old, I would hope OP would had found something by now!! lol
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, OnePass
as do I, but hopefully that suggestion might benefit others interested in high travel jobs...
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Not practical for most people, but in translating program notes for a classical music festival, I noticed that the top performers and conductors really get around. You see blurbs like, "Maestro Batonwaver is principal conductor of the Do-Re-Mi Orchestra in New York, music director of the Da Capo al Fine Orchestra in Milan, and resident conductor of the Upside Down Orchestra in Sydney. In recent years, he has served as guest conductor for ensembles in Seoul, Rio de Janeiro, San Francisco, London, Moscow, and Johannesburg..."

This is obviously a fictitious example, but there are plenty of real conductors and solo performers who must have multi-million mile FF accounts.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:53 pm

I would love to be in a traveling job. I would be more than happy to interview with you if you still need another employee?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by prncess674
while moving three times in a year at a young age is hard to do it is still VERY DIFFERENT than the daily/weekly grind of schlepping yourself on a plane week in and week out. Remember not all locations you will be sent to are exotic or fun. You have to take the "Duncan, Oklahoma's" along with London, Tokyo and NYC. I am not trying to discourage you but many people who have never travelled for work over romanticize biz travel. It can be great especially if you have a positive attitude but just remember this lifestyle chews up many people.

When interviewing people, I probably ask/mention over 10 times the constant travel being a consultant in my company requires. We have lost 4 people in the last year who couldn't hack the constant travel and we are a small group.
I would love to be a replacement?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pragakhan
This thread is almost 4 years old, I would hope OP would had found something by now!! lol
Dear OP,

So... what did you do with your life?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:14 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this thread is older than many threads on this subject, we'll close this one and invite members to sample the following recent ones. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ve-travel.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ns-travel.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.