Visa for India for Americans?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2004, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Visa for India for Americans?

Is there a way to get a visa at the airport in BOM for US passport holders?
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by stimpy
Is there a way to get a visa at the airport in BOM for US passport holders?
Not that I know of. You have to send your passport to the consulate ahead of your trip. The application process isn't the worst I've dealt with (that would be Russia) but it's on the higher end of the scale, hassle-wise and cost-wise. I get 5-year multi-entries for India, which makes things a lot simpler.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 8:12 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
NO....

You should just go to the Indian Consulate, wait the whole day, pay the $1## fee, and you'll have your visa...
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:00 am

No way whatsoever for a US citizen to obtain a visa-on-arrival for India unless you hold a PIO card (which I doubt you do).

Don't know where you are applying for the visa, but if you are stuck having to deal with the folks in San Fran please accept my advance apologies on behalf of my countrymen. Those people are a disgrace. I still hold a grudge against them for denying me consular services as an Indian citizen.

The New York, Houston and Chicago consulates are much more friendly and helpful, although the Embassy in Washington can be difficult at times. Elsewhere in the world, Toronto and London are among the two best Indian missions out there. Toronto especially has shown that Indian bureaucracy can be simultaneously friendly and effective with just a little effort.

If you are applying in person, they will accept your application at any post in the US for same-day or next-day service - however applying by mail requires that you send it to the mission with primary jurisdiction over your residence. Applying outside your country of citizenship or residence will also incur an additional charge.

If you want a 10-year multiple entry visa and they ask to see an "invitation letter" from an Indian company, feel free to drop me a line. I'm authorized to issue those on behalf of my company and have helped out a few FTers that way in the past.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 9:47 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Hey Sean, I don't know if the consulate in NY is that friendly, maybe its cause I don't speak Hindi but only Malayalam...

Old Oct 2, 2004, 10:14 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ewrfox
NO....

You should just go to the Indian Consulate, wait the whole day, pay the $1## fee, and you'll have your visa...
Regarding the whole day wait: that's just an option. You can drop it off and pick it up the next day. Or if you can't be bothered to go there in person, mail it by FedEx.

Visa fees are reciprocal i.e it'll cost US citizens as much for a visa to India as it costs Indian citizens for a visa to the US. US raised their visa fees to over $100 for Indian citizens and India reciprocated immediately.

I've been to the Indian consulate in NY - while it is not the most efficient/friendly consulate, my experience was a positiove one - I checked out their website and made sure I had all the necessary documents ahead of time. I suggest you do the same.

Hope that helps.
Kamala
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Actually I'm in France now and I would like to try the Indian embassy in Paris. But the website (http://www.amb-inde.fr/Con_Visa/Visa_Serv.html) gives contradictory advice. It says US passport holders pay extra, but then it says any non-French passport holder has to prove residency. Does anyone know for sure if I can get an visa in Paris just as an American passing through? I looked at the London Embassy website and it was murky on this issue too.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
Actually I'm in France now and I would like to try the Indian embassy in Paris. But the website (http://www.amb-inde.fr/Con_Visa/Visa_Serv.html) gives contradictory advice. It says US passport holders pay extra, but then it says any non-French passport holder has to prove residency. Does anyone know for sure if I can get an visa in Paris just as an American passing through? I looked at the London Embassy website and it was murky on this issue too.
That's always a tough one for a visa to any country i.e being in a 3rd country, not your own and not the one you want to visit. I was stuck in Singapore once and needed a visa to Belgium. I had to jump through hoops before I (Indian citizen) managed to get a Schengen (sp?) visa in Singapore to travel to Belgium directly.

Your best bet would be to contact the Indian embassy in Paris using the contact numbers listed on their website. Make sure you ask for the name of the person you speak with so that if you run into any issues while at the embassy, you can ask for them.

Good luck,
Kamala
Old Oct 3, 2004, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wonder if it is a French thing. I had no problem getting a visa for Russia while in London. And I did the same for a Chinese visa while in Australia. But I had hell trying to get a visa for Camaroon while in Paris. Oh, well. I'll just have to give it a shot tomorrow.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 6:59 am

you may check into a transit visa which a few years ago was free for US citizens and let's you stay in India for up to 3 days (if I remember correctly) - you just need an onward ticket out of the country.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do recommand that you consider getting the Visa in person. I did a Visa through Fedex and the passport was stolen. It was a big hassle at the time and forced me to fly to San Francisco and visit the consulate for the Visa. We had already paid once but they made us pay again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.