Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A (very) short rant

A (very) short rant

Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geekfactory
It's amazing to me how many people just DON'T GET the simple concept: "PICK A DAMN SIDE!!!"

The worst for me is people who just choose to stand DEAD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKIN' ESCALATOR!

Was coming out of EWR last night - Blow past all the slow walkers, all good - Get to the escalator 1/10th of a second after some guy, one bag, decides to stand DEAD MIDDLE of the escalator.

Sigh.

People annoy me.
Do all people annoy you are are you just troubled ? What's the rush any way we will all get where we want to eventually. If you want to get to your destination faster try to leave earlier so that you will get ahead of all those people on the escaltor and hey you might just win first prize. Enjoy life stop being so miserable. Step back and stop being a Geek.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:14 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Was coming out of EWR last night - Blow past all the slow walkers, all good - Get to the escalator 1/10th of a second after some guy, one bag, decides to stand DEAD MIDDLE of the escalator.
Have you ever tried the phrase "please excuse me?"
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:19 am

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Um, yeah. Thanks

Originally Posted by grouse
Thanks for the tip. I did indeed. He looked at me like I just asked him to gnaw off his own arm, shot me a rolled eye look, and eventually moved.

My issue is why in America, do we think only of ourselves? In every other country, people are instinctivly trained to stay on one side - it's only in America that we're all about "me, me, me."

The SUV of countries, as it were.

I just think that if everyone took a second and was a little bit more considerate of everyone else, we'd all be a lot happier.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
My issue is why in America, do we think only of ourselves? In every other country, people are instinctivly trained to stay on one side - it's only in America that we're all about "me, me, me."
As someone who lives in another country and does not want to slip into the usual easy U.S.-bashing, I think you will find inconsiderate selfish people in all countries. And even people blocking escalators or what have you. Even if there are SIGNS telling people to stay on one side.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Thanks for the tip. I did indeed. He looked at me like I just asked him to gnaw off his own arm, shot me a rolled eye look, and eventually moved.

The SUV of countries, as it were.

I just think that if everyone took a second and was a little bit more considerate of everyone else, we'd all be a lot happier.
yes you would think people would try to be considerate everywhere but they just aren't! well, maybe 25% of them aren't.

In HKG, where you always stand on the right, I see a diminishing of that rule with the influx of mainlanders. On the MRT, escalators and moving sidewalks at the airport, I usually have to fight my way past. I lived in Shanghai close to a year and I know how to fight my way across...however, i found that tiring...and they look at me like I am the rude troublemaker when I ask them make way....politely at first of course.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:32 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by grouse
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to recall that this phrase USED TO prompt people to move aside so you could get by. Lately I find that all it prompts is a "Yeah, so?" look.

And if I can add to the rant: do NOT come to a dead stop at the top/bottom of the stairs/escalator!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.