Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A thought... What happens if I get arrested?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A thought... What happens if I get arrested?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Question A thought... What happens if I get arrested?

Hey gang...

So let's say that hypothetically, I was helping one of the groups protesting the RNC in NYC. (One of the "green" or "not threatening" groups, according to the news...)

Anyhow, let's say I was helping them out, and was handling media for them onsite, during the protests.

Let's say I happened to get arrrested. Say, disorderly conduct or civil disobedience, or disturbing the peace, or whatever bogus charge the cops are using in NYC these next few days...

If I did, how would that affect me re: buying tickets, SSSS, traveling as much as I do? I'm on the road about 200k a year or so for work - would my arrest show up anywhere? Passport/Immigration? Etc?

From a "Background check" standpoint, can the airlines/Immigration, etc. run the history and see my arrest? Or find out that I'm now a "civil disobedient" or whatever? And if so, is that going to screw me the next time I'm late for a flight and have to get cavity searched?

Again - hypothetically.

Thanks,

-Peter
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
I am not a lawyer, and I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but it may affect your eligibilty for INSPASS. The official line seems to be "Access to INSPASS is not available to anyone with a criminal record or to aliens who require a waiver of inadmissibility to enter the United States." Don't know if they include misdemeanors when considering a criminal record. It's also not clear whether an arrest keeps you from getting one, or only a conviction.

It shouldn't affect how frequently you get the SSSS, or your ability to purchase tickets. I also find it difficult to believe that customs or immigration have the ability to look at your arrest record. They can't even get all the terrorist watch lists combined!

That said, I wouldn't have believed that the FBI's Joint Terrorist Task Force would be monitoring antiwar activists prior to the conventions. They did, though.

Last edited by murphy; Aug 28, 2004 at 6:04 pm Reason: Added I am not a lawyer.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by murphy
Access to INSPASS is not available to anyone with a criminal record or to aliens who require a waiver of inadmissibility to enter the United States.
An arrest without a conviction does not constitute a criminal record.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:59 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
If you get arrested, let us know. Some of us can bake a cake with a file in it and send it to you
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by geekfactory
Hey gang...
Let's say I happened to get arrrested. Say, disorderly conduct or civil disobedience, or disturbing the peace, or whatever bogus charge the cops are using in NYC these next few days...
Yeah, because people have the right to stop traffic, beat up other people's cars, and destroy shop windows to get their point across.

The 264 bicyclists arrested yesterday for their illegal demonstration, blocking the street, and destroying a Mercedes, those were all probably bogus too.

The naked people in the middle of the street on Thursday - they should have been left alone, it's not like 7th ave is an important enough street to worry about naked people stopping traffic on it.

All bogus charges. And Sunday, when thousands will probably end up in plastic cuffs, those will all be bogus too.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by cordelli
Yeah, because people have the right to stop traffic, beat up other people's cars, and destroy shop windows to get their point across.

The 264 bicyclists arrested yesterday for their illegal demonstration, blocking the street, and destroying a Mercedes, those were all probably bogus too.

The naked people in the middle of the street on Thursday - they should have been left alone, it's not like 7th ave is an important enough street to worry about naked people stopping traffic on it.

All bogus charges. And Sunday, when thousands will probably end up in plastic cuffs, those will all be bogus too.

Anyway, geekfactory, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Suffice to say that I have a, um, colorful past, with numerous arrests (and convictions!) for offenses such as that in your example back in 41's day. Never been an issue traveling, crossing borders, renewing passports, or working for companies that do criminal background checks.

Of course these days Field Marshall Ashcroft is liable to pack your ... off to Gitmo for "hating america", so things may be different now.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Again, IANAL, and I'm not au fait with the American justice system, but there's a BIG difference between being arrested and being convicted of an offence. The former frequently happens in error, is down to the subjectivity of an individual police officer, and should have no bearing on your treatment in any other respect. The latter is a different story. It certainly can happen in error, but you've at least had legal access and a trial to back it up, with some burden of proof.

If you are suddenly denied travel, or are subject to extra security measures on the basis of a simple arrest, then I'd be extremely concerned as to the nature of the justice system concerned.

Of course, those of us who have suffered from mental illness have a whole new set of obstacles. Indefinite imprisonment, police records (despite no crime), and visa restrictions, to name but a few.

Sorry, rant over.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by cordelli

Amen Cordelli! I thought I was the only NY-er who thought this.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:45 pm

An arrest, regardless of whether you were convicted or not, will remain on your record for life unless you get it expunged (which is very difficult). You record will indicated whether you were convicted, found not guilty, or whether the case was dismissed. It will also show whatever fine or penalty was imposed. I am not sure how it will affect your ability to travel. However, even if you are not convicted, whoever runs a criminal background check will be able to tell that you were arrested. That'll stick with you for life. Many places, such a licensing boards, etc, ask about whether or not you've ever been "arrested", and if so, please explain. Depending upon your lifestyle, it could be a stain that lasts a long time and be much more of a hassle than it was worth.

Protest all you want, just keep it civil enough so that you don't bring on a headache you'll later regret.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:45 pm

Sorry, duplicate post.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Talking Thank you

Hi...

Thanks most of you for the ensightful and helpful information - I did not get arrested, (not even close,) however, the group I was working with did achieve placements on CNN, MSNBC, NY1, NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox (Yes! Even Fox!) and tons of print media, including photos from the AP, Reuters, UPI, Knight-Ridder, and Black-Gamma.

Thank you all for your advice. From a PR perspective, I'm quite happy. Looking at the above placements, I couldn't have asked for a better day.

(Oh, and in case the naysayers are wondering, these placements were achieved without any of the group for whom I was consulting getting arrested, breaking anything, stopping any traffic outside of the protest march route., etc., etc., etc.)

-Peter
Old Aug 29, 2004, 7:34 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Since I was at the protest you can read about it in Omni, one of the many groups that was there gave out a pamphlet, and it talks about What your Rights Are, and what you should do if you are arrested, or sees cops being to aggressive and is arresting fellow protesters… It was handed out by the “National Lawyers Guild” NYC Chapter… I have it with me, maybe in the morning I’ll scan it… But basically it says to call them..

Sorry this is a bit OT lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.