Search

DC: Reagan or Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2004, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US AIrways, Hilton honors, Priority Club, SPG, AA, United, Southwest
Question DC: Reagan or Dulles?

Hi,

I am traveling on vacation with my family to Washington DC for the first time next march and I was wondering if the is any reason to choose one of the two airports over the other.

I am staying at the Saint Regis, 923 16th and K Streets, N.W. and Regan is closer to where I am staying. I was concerned there might be more security problems since Reagan Apt is closer to the capital and Whitehouse.

What is the least expensive way to travel from the airports if I don't rent a car?

Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 9:36 pm

Reagan is much closer, much more convenient. Security line is much faster. Just make sure you stay in your seats the last 30 minutes, or else they will divert! (Has this ever actually happened?)

The only reasons to do Dulles:
-MUCH cheaper (hey, I did this last week, so I am not knocking it)
-going to Northern VA

If you go to Reagan, the Metro is very cheap and convenient to DC (not sure how it is to your hotel). Cabs are a lot cheaper from Reagan as well; might be worth it if you have a lot of stuff, a lot of people, etc.

Originally Posted by cschene
Hi,

I am traveling on vacation with my family to Washington DC for the first time next march and I was wondering if the is any reason to choose one of the two airports over the other.

I am staying at the Saint Regis, 923 16th and K Streets, N.W. and Regan is closer to where I am staying. I was concerned there might be more security problems since Reagan Apt is closer to the capital and Whitehouse.

What is the least expensive way to travel from the airports if I don't rent a car?

Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by cschene
Hi,

Thanks for the input.
The least expensive way from IAD (Dulles) to downtown Washington, is a bus to the East Falls Church Metro subway ($8, I think...) then the Metro into downtown, changing trains once. A dollar and change per person, each way. A cab would cost at least $50. It would take about an hour and a half or so from IAD, depending on time of day.

Reagan National (DCA) is on the Metro...not looking at a map, but pretty sure you would change trains once. A dollar and change per person, each way. It would take about 30 minutes or so...probably less. You may have to walk a couple of blocks or take a cab (dirt cheap in the District.)

DCA is defininately the quickest way...I fly through there a couple times a week...no security issues, except you must remain seated for the final 30 minutes fo your flight inbound, and first 30 minutes outbound.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:02 pm

I would recommend DCA. You can take a cab to the St. Regis and be there in no time; and it won't cost you much.

The Metro is a bit cheaper but it will take you longer. It can sometimes be a hassle trying to navigate the escalators and walkways with luggage (especially if you're on the Metro during the busiest periods during morning or evening).

Hope you have a great time in our nation's capital.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:41 pm

diverted flight

Originally Posted by jonu
Reagan is much closer, much more convenient. Security line is much faster. Just make sure you stay in your seats the last 30 minutes, or else they will divert! (Has this ever actually happened?)

-going to Northern VA

If you go to Reagan, the Metro is very cheap and convenient to DC (not sure how it is to your hotel). Cabs are a lot cheaper from Reagan as well; might be worth it if you have a lot of stuff, a lot of people, etc.

I was on a flight to Reagan that got diverted to Dulles once; a woman stood up to use the bathroom, they told her to sit down, she did it again, we diverted. I might have been the only person on the plane that didn't mind - missed a meeting I didn't want to attend! We eventually flew to Reagan from Dulles after security dealt with her.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
clarifications

Originally Posted by DCA Blondie
The least expensive way from IAD (Dulles) to downtown Washington
is actually the Metrobus 5A, an express bus which costs $3 and has two commuter stops in Fairfax County before connecting with the Blue/Orange line at Rosslyn and the Green/Yellow/Blue/Orange at L'Enfant Plaza.

The Washington Flyer Coach is $8 one way, $14 round trip to the West Falls Church Metro station on the Orange Line, which does not not require a change of trains to get downtown. It is a nicer vehicle than the public bus and a more direct ride, as well as running more frequently.

But as everyone has said, unless you are traveling to the suburbs adjacent to Dulles, Reagan is by far the most convenient airport to Washington, lying just across the Potomac. It is on the Blue/Yellow Metro lines (again, does not require a change of trains to get downtown-- all rail lines in the DC Metro system run downtown) and only 10-15 minutes from the city by cab.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Dulles is NOT always cheaper than DCA. I am flying OAK-DCA for $138rt in October - try finding that fare into IAD. Not to mention that DCA is a $10-20 cab ride to most DC hotels, vs. $50+ from IAD. Don't forget to throw that into your equation.

But DCA is always more convenient to downtown Washington, <10 min by cab, 20 min by metro ($1.20) so if you value your time, you may find it pays to use DCA.

And don't get me started on the mediocre operation at IAD. If everyone boycotted IAD they would be forced to shape up.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Hint: if you're flying United or American, most fares are issued from your originating city to WAS, rather than IAD or DCA specifically---meaning that you can standby to DCA on a space-available basis even if you've booked a cheap ticket to or from Dulles.

I've done this many times with no fee. Just check the fare rules to be sure they specify a "WAS" co-terminal, and go to itn.net and log in using Expert mode to check the flight loads before you leave. It helps if you have elite status with either airline, as that bumps you up on the priority list for standby.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:25 am

To note, the St. Regis is almost exactly between McPherson Square and Farragut West on the blue/orange line (McPherson Square is at 14th and I, and Farragut West is at 18th and I), with each station being about three blocks away.

Given that location, a trip from DCA on the Metro's blue line would be the cheapest way to get there - and at just over 15 minutes station-to-station, without transfers, it may be one of the easiest without a car of your own.

Mike
Old Aug 16, 2004, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Dulles is NOT always cheaper than DCA.
Agreed. What I meant was that one reason to fly into IAD is IF it is a lot cheaper than DCA (which it was by $200 from ORD last week for me on UA, at least if I made the return from IAD instead of DCA).
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:44 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by wjm7733
I would recommend DCA. You can take a cab to the St. Regis and be there in no time; and it won't cost you much.

The Metro is a bit cheaper but it will take you longer. It can sometimes be a hassle trying to navigate the escalators and walkways with luggage (especially if you're on the Metro during the busiest periods during morning or evening).

Hope you have a great time in our nation's capital.
Agree with all of the above. If they are still available, you should consider purchasing the visitor passes on Metro prior to your first ride (from where you're staying, I suspect you'll be using the Metro to get to some of the major attractions, Smithsonian, Capitol, Zoo, etc.).

However, going to and from DCA, I suggest a cab, especially if you'll be arriving after dark. At least in the past, there tended to street people hanging around the Metro stations panhandling (which I found uncomfortable after dark). In addition to the hassle of luggage in the Metro stations, there is a learned skill to knowing which exit to use out of the Metro station to get closest to your destination. In certain cases, the exits may be 3-4 blocks apart.

Look in the Dining forum and the Mid Atlantic travel forum for several threads on DC.

Consider joining Smithsonian (for $12-18). Good magazine, especially good information on exhibits.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jonu

-going to Northern VA
There's one other reason to do Dulles:
There are many cities which have nonstop flights to Dulles but not to National. For example, San Francisco. If getting a nonstop is important to you, Dulles may be your only option.

Ed
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:10 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
I don't like the people movers (shuttles) at Dulles. For your purposes, I'd go DCA. I avoid both when I'm going to get a rental car by flying into Baltimore & driving down.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Dulles is NOT always cheaper than DCA. I am flying OAK-DCA for $138rt in October - try finding that fare into IAD. Not to mention that DCA is a $10-20 cab ride to most DC hotels, vs. $50+ from IAD. Don't forget to throw that into your equation.

But DCA is always more convenient to downtown Washington, <10 min by cab, 20 min by metro ($1.20) so if you value your time, you may find it pays to use DCA.

And don't get me started on the mediocre operation at IAD. If everyone boycotted IAD they would be forced to shape up.
What airline are you flying?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
DCA Curfew & Flight Restrictions

Something that is not mentioned on the thread up to now is the curfew at DCA (I think it is 12 midnight to 6 am). Arriving flights that are delayed with an ETA after midnight are often diverted to BWI or IAD, and passengers bussed in. So it might be prudent to avoid the last flight of the evening.

Another point is that DCAs flights are limited to something like a 1000-mile radius of the airport, i.e. relatively short haul flights. So if you're going to Los Angeles or San Francisco from DCA, you're going to have to make a connecting flight somewhere else as opposed to a non-stop (which are readily available from IAD given that it is a UA hub).

I'd have to agree that IAD's mid field concourse looks second or third rate compared with other UA hubs like DEN or ORD. Would like to see that redone if possible.

Just my two cents as a former DC resident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.