Wiki Posts
Search

Most Convenient Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Plenty of smaller cities that have convenient airports eg MEX
Might want to re-think your definition of small

Most convenient airport IMO is DCA. Hands down. Easy access, nice airport, reasonable destinations.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
oops
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:50 am

Of airports I use frequently, and for my own purposes, BUR (Burbank) is the most convenient. From the time I step outside my parents' house until the time I'm standing on the airport curbside is 15 minutes, tops.

Ed
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by civicmon
I was just thinking about that...

SJC is pretty close to Downtown SJ except that the connections to/from are so bad.. not that downtown San Jose is a real happenin place either, but worth mention.
Agreed. I live in Silicon Valley and while it is close to my home (I can do 15 mins on surface streets), the problem is that the access roads are a work in progress---forget holiday periods, it can be a mess. Fortunately they've completed the 87 freeway link between US 101 and I-280 so it has improved.

Ironically, I find the more modern of the two terminals (Terminal A, which is AA and SWA) to have a more onerous security check line because they have to go through a centralized terminal. The old Terminal C which makes you walk out to the tarmac to get to the plane actually can be more convenient in terms of security checks, at least for Alaska Air, because it is decentralized from the rest of the airline gates.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
For a major airport, I would have to say Las Vegas as it is right there near the strip.

for local, I would have to say Palwaukee Airport http://www.palwaukee.org/ in Wheeling, IL and Lakeland Airport http://north-wis.com/noblelee/ in Woodruff, WI only because a terrific, somewhat cheap charter Trans North Aviation http://www.transnorth.com flys there, keeps my wife happy and these airports are 10 minutes our homes.

My dad got hired by a company in the early 70's in Northbrook and our family stayed in the old Holiday Inn that was on the boarder of the Palwaukee Airport. I loved to watch the planes take off and land from the pool there. ^
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 2 Million, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Most convenient Airport

SIN - Changgi in Singapore is tops for convenience in Asia. I used to be able to walk into my apartment in 30 minutes or less from wheels-down.

Before Kai Tak was shut down (Hong Kong) it was very convenient, except of course, for the terrible immigration lines.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:19 pm

Programs: Delta/Emirates/United/
My house to BUR (-vs- LAX) is: 3.2 miles (7 minutes)
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:52 pm

You can drive into OKC from anywhere in the city (well over 600 sq miles) in about 30 minutes, except at rush hour. From my home to the terminal is a 10 mile round trip, less than 10 minutes each way. The airport is in the SW part of the city, maybe 5 miles or so from downtown, and 7 - 10 miles from General Motors and Tinker AFB. Just don't plan on public transportation of any kind.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:05 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Domestically, from a pure ease of access by car standpoint, my top three are San Diego, Omaha, and my hometown airport, Greenville-Spartanburg, SC.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:43 pm

If you're going by car or taxi, LGA should get a nod. Most of the terminals are small enough that security and the walk to the gate are a breeze (especially if you use the "secret" second line in the NW/DL terminal. Of course, when you take into account traffic on the Garden State and the Triboro Bridge ... YMMV. And public transit there is not to be attempted unless you're really feeling it. Speaking of New York, would I get laughed at if I mentioned that I don't find Newark all that daunting? Especially the A and B terminals? Thought so.

On the other hand, public transit couldn't be easier at DCA.

As for small airports, I'm going to give a shout out to COS, a place where I once went from my car to my gate in 15 minutes. There's a special glee in noticing your flight is leaving from Gate 1 (!)

Oh, and MSN. I once booked a flight less than 90 minutes before departure, then checked out of my hotel, called a cab, and had a beer in the lobby before making to the airport in plenty of time.

ETA: MSN anecdote

Last edited by Tyler Durden; Aug 28, 2004 at 2:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.