Reload this Page >

What exactly is economy class?

Old Aug 13, 04, 7:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Hi all

Here in Australia many of our awards (work agreements) specify that general employees will fly economy class and sometimes business class in certain circumstances.

I have seen an award which says that general employees will fly economy class but will be prepared to fly at a lesser standard if economy class is unavailable to that destination (ie on smaller airlines).

The issue is - here in Australia, is travel on Virgin Blue or Jetstar considered economy class or is it regarded as a lesser class?

The implication is that some employees might be able to argue that their economy class entitlement entitles them to Qantas economy travel and need not have to fly on the discount airlines.

Has this issue come up with employers?

cheers Peter
Old Aug 14, 04, 12:25 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
I'm not really sure what this has to do with the "Latest frequent flyer program buzz" so I'll move it over to TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 14, 04, 6:26 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
It gets worse than flying economy?
Old Aug 16, 04, 6:57 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by taupo
It gets worse than flying economy?
Jumpseat???
Old Aug 16, 04, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA
Virgin Blue and Jetstar aircraft are both officially Y class cabins on the manifest and in official aviation documentation, so yes they are economy. It's only light aircraft that reduce this to "seats".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: